• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What say you about this dime?

12 posts in this topic

I don't find the reverse toning attractive. Since these come toned nicely, I'd wait for a nice toned one. Of course, that is only if you are a toning fan.

I don't find the reverse toning attractive. Since these come toned nicely, I'd wait for a nice toned one. Of course, that is only if you are a toning fan.

Thanks Greg, I thought about the same, but ANR pics are really not very good - which is actually rather surprising if you think about it - one of the premier auction houses in US numismatics. Since they have a good return policy, I might just buy the coin on approval. But I've always been pleasantly surprised with thier coins - they always look 1000% better in hand than they do in the pics.

I think this coin is worth looking at in-hand. Although Greg is absolutely correct in that this series can be found with very attractive toning with the proof designation, they can also be had for relatively little in PF64, even with eye appeal. The image appears to be too light and oversaturated at the same time. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif That seems to be an odd combination to me, but that is how it looks on my moniter. What you should look carefully for are hairlines as these are the death of proof Seated type. It looks like the obverse field between Ms Liberty and "OF AMERICA" might be laden with them. Good luck! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I do not care for the reverse toning, and the hairlines on the obverse are definitely a distraction. I hope the coin looks better in hand.

i like it and i bet it is much mucho better cloud9.gif in hand thumbsup2.gif

the strike is hammered and deep cameo reverse

let us know when you get it in hand sight seen hi.gif

Jazzy,

Please don't take this the wrong way, and I mean you no offense, but IMHO this coin has been dipped and wiped and has since retoned in an album. In addition, the MS 64 grade and the NGC holder (am I allowed to say that here?) make me a bit wary.

On the bright side, the coin's strike is very nice and the cameo contrast very attractive. I'll also wager the colors are better in person. Lastly, and importantly, ANR is very well thought of and all my dealings with them have been exceedingly well done, so if it intrigues you that much have them send it to you and be the judge.

However, these coins are common enough that you can find a better example of the type. I would pass, but in the end, it is you that has to be happy with the coin, and nobody else...Mike

The toning is decent overall, but not fantastic. However, the coin appears to have excellent originality, which for me is a big plus. SO many of these are dipped out!

James

I think the coin's strike and cameo are incredible. What causes me to pause has already been mentioned, i.e. the reverse toning and the obverse hairlines. I really love the cameo and toning on the obverse. This would be a nice type coin but, as mentioned, you can do better. If not for the hairlines, conservation would be a good thing on this one. And, in my experience, NGC will disregard one's request to conserve one side only. They will do what they want to do and the collector's request be damned!