• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

21,015 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2024 at 10:45 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Do I really have to post a certified coin in AU to prove it? Please take a look at an AU 50 -53 1817 Coronet online then look at the ANA Grading standards for that series coin. Its AU 50 BN

I think you proved that your grade for this is off. Sorry Mike. I don't agree with your other on this page either. That one is maybe VF.

1864 L 18/18 Bronze 1C FS-2304.  Just returned from grading and Variety Plus attribution. I knew the coin was cleaned but when you find a scarce variety like this in ANY decent looking uncirculated condition (besides a FUBAR coin) you slab it. The finest graded version of this coin is MS 66 and sold for over 22k in a recent GC auction. I would conservatively place the details around MS 64 on this coin. Besides the light old cleaning it still looks very nice for the age of the coin. Any opinions or comments welcome. Overall, I am pleased with this submission as it verified my attribution and certified the coin as authentic and uncirculated. I have 14 more coming back soon....wheeeee!6180203_Full_Obv.jpg?q=080520241549316180203_Full_Rev.jpg?q=08052024154931

Edited by Mike Meenderink

6189897_Full_Obv.jpg?q=08132024000356

6189897_Full_Rev.jpg?q=08132024000356                                                                                                                                                                                                                     My preferred look for my circulated non-blue-chip investment type coins. I want a bit of character (not too much), original clean fields, clean relief, mid to high AU details and a pleasing natural color. This coin is ALL of that and a bag of chips, so it got a brand-new Lexan suit and a new lease on life as a collectable coin. I've had this coin for a while it was misplaced in my collection amongst the wrong types. I literally forgot about it. This coin was purchased on Ebay for $46.00 w/ tax & shipping. Submitted/ Graded AU 55. Value $165.00. Winning!  Cheers! Next?

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 8/17/2024 at 4:47 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Yesterday my dad and I went to the safety deposit box at his bank. The deposit box contains the balance of my grandfather's coin collection. My dad who is also a collector has held my grandfather's collection as well as his own for over 50 years. In a previous post I announced that my father had gifted me my grandfather's entire collection. Well, I had not gone into the safety deposit coins previously or even viewed them. My dad had only vague recollections of the coin types but no definite answers as he had put them away in the box 20 years ago. He did say there were at least 230 coins in the box if he remembered correctly (he is 78). Well, you ready for this? I wasn't. Below are just a few I brought home to re flip and grade. There are over 200 more various old type coins like these in this condition from VF-UNC all very well kept. Thanks grandpa! I'm shellshocked...

20240817_131620.jpg

20240817_131524.jpg

20240817_131819.jpg

20240817_131924.jpg

20240817_131204.jpg

Your job, should you agree to accept it, is to make sure he remembers me in a codicil to his will.  🤣   Very lovely; did he disclose the part where he appoints you primary guardian to pass these treasures on -- in whole -- to your own heirs?  🤣

On 8/17/2024 at 3:11 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Your job, should you agree to accept it, is to make sure he remembers me in a codicil to his will.  🤣   Very lovely; did he disclose the part where he appoints you primary guardian to pass these treasures on -- in whole -- to your own heirs?  🤣

I have no children. I do have nieces and nephews which will each inherit a few coins. I also have 2 younger brothers who were never interested (stupidly) in coins or the collection. For this reason, my father gave it to me. He still retains his extensive collection which he has left to me as well upon his passing. There may be a few extra laying around for you Papillon.

On 8/17/2024 at 9:39 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

I have no children. I do have nieces and nephews which will each inherit a few coins. I also have 2 younger brothers who were never interested (stupidly) in coins or the collection. For this reason, my father gave it to me. He still retains his extensive collection which he has left to me as well upon his passing. There may be a few extra laying around for you Papillon.

Very kind of you!  But not necessary.  Pay any kindness forward. That would make me happy!  

On 8/19/2024 at 10:41 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

1897 IHC almost terminal brought back to life. Pic 1: Original state Pic 2: Conserved state.  Very pleased with results.

1897IndianSodiumSesquicarbonateConservedGreen-BlackMalachiteRemoved2024.jpg.d8bc0cb172f92650a5617c2865a9e587.jpg

1897 Indian Sodium Sesquicarbonate Conserved Green-Black Malachite Removed 2024.jpg

Looks very NATURAL to me!

On 8/19/2024 at 9:41 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

1897 IHC almost terminal brought back to life. Pic 1: Original state Pic 2: Conserved state.  Very pleased with results.

1897IndianSodiumSesquicarbonateConservedGreen-BlackMalachiteRemoved2024.jpg.d8bc0cb172f92650a5617c2865a9e587.jpg

1897 Indian Sodium Sesquicarbonate Conserved Green-Black Malachite Removed 2024.jpg

How did the reverse turn out?