• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

21,025 posts in this topic

I paid $2.00 for the 1897 IHC in original condition. Conservation and stabilization revealed the coin to be XF 40 BN (IMO) placing the value around $20.00. This is what I do.

When you submit raw coins there are sometimes days when you feel a bit discouraged. When receiving back a Details graded coin you did not expect to grade Details can sometimes cause you to second guess yourself. It's not easy to determine cleaning on certain coins especially older cleaning that have re toned or sat for years after. Here is a bit of a letdown coin but still a good-looking coin with great details. I paid too damn much $ for this coin. I didn't lose in the end, but I paid too much for it knowing now that it is cleaned. Welp...Type Set ...here it comes.... try again.   Cheers! UPDATE  9/14/24 Coin sold to private party all's well that ends well.6206640_Full_Obv.jpg?q=082220240948556206640_Full_Rev.jpg?q=08222024094855

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 8/22/2024 at 9:46 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

I paid too damn much $ for this coin.

All but one of my Flying Eagle cents came back as AU cleaned. And I paid WAY too damn much $$$ for them. Not sure what it is going to take to get one that isn't cleaned and is MS.

Edited by powermad5000

Editorial comment...

Any coin collector that boasts he has NEVER paid way too much for a coin -- whatever the reason -- is a bald-faced liar.

To err is human [to forgive is divine].

Gold and silver bullion are probably the most misunderstood areas of coin collecting, which seem to draw their fair share of "investors," eager to make a quick buck. It never seems to occur to them that whatever goes up, must come down.  The one notable exception seems to be the Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles whose pool of fairly finite highly-graded examples are steadily shrinking as are the number of available samples. Regardless how small this cohort is as compared to all coins in existence, their popularity never seems to wane.  Can anyone make a similar claim for any other coin series?

My latest conservation result is this $4.00 purchase price 1874 Indian Head Cent graded G. Mintage of 14,187,500 is relatively low for the series making this a semi key date. Decent results as the thin verdigris film was completely removed revealing the original surfaces of the coin. The coloring went from green-brown to chocolate-brown. Some luster was even revealed. Method: 2% molar Sodium Sesquicarbonate solution soak 6 hrs. Distilled water rinse. Then a small amount of conservator's sealer wax (completely removable). Decent results bringing this coin's value from $4.00 to $18.00-$20.00. Not a big deal but conserving these light problem coins works out well for my Whitman books. Cheers!

1874 Indian Cent Conservation 9-4-24.jpg

6238211_Full_Obv.jpg?q=09122024095228This coin I conserved which made the coin look better but unfortunately the surface was just damaged enough to NOT get past the graders. The surface is smooth but the deep coloring suggests corrosion damage. I am pleased they did not label Corrosion Removed because that's what I did. I'm ok with the Environmental Damage. I made the coin look way way better. It's in my typeset now. I paid $25.00 for this coin. Decent example. Nice details with an antique look. 6238211_Full_Rev.jpg?q=09122024095228

6238215_Full_Obv.jpg?q=09122024095250 6238215_Full_Rev.jpg?q=09122024095250 I conserved this coin by removing the green, brown verdigris which revealed a pit free original surface and nice details. The coloring was vastly improved, and the ire of the graders was not raised by my treatment of the coin. All in all, a successful conservation effort which stabilized and vastly improved the eye appeal of this very original clean fields coin. I acquired this coin for $36.00 in terrible condition. Conserved, graded F 15 smd/sml O-111 Variety Valued at $125 Winning!

6238218_Full_Obv.jpg?q=09122024095320I shelled out a whopping $15.00 for this coin at a garage sale. It was in a tiny brown manila envelope inside a sealed plastic wrap. The lady had no idea what to sell it for. I offered $15 and she took it..cha ching   worth $55.006238218_Full_Rev.jpg?q=09122024095320