• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,911 posts in this topic

Nice copper, Dean.

Here's some better? pictures of that Frankie I recently bought. This one was tough, I'm not nearly good enough to do it justice. The multicolored arc on the left of the reverse extends from States all the way through the Half.

1766334-003O.jpg

1766334-003R.jpg

And I just won this one. It is now the highlight of my collection - 1954 S NGC MS-65 FBL fully brilliant and gorgeous. I can't wait to see it. I'm expecting it should be here by the end of the week.

1577900-006O.jpg

Hi,

Im New To This Forum But I'm Going To Ask Some Questions In Hopes I Can get Some Good Advice, And Possibly Hope That This Coin Is Authentic.

I Have a 1776 Continental Curency Coin Which Was Dug Up A While Ago And I Am Just Now Trying To get it Authenticated. Here Are Some Information Known About This Coin.

It Looks Very Old

It Weigh's Roughly 25.8 Grams. we Found out it weighs The Same as Back in 1776 When They Made Them.

It Doesn't Have The Word Copy On It Anywhere. So From Investigating I Know It Was Made Prior To 1973 When It Wasn't A Requirement For Copies To Have The Stamp "COPY" if it is A Copy.

The Coin Is Exactly Like The Original In Every Way We Have Found. The Wording, Spaces On The Back Between Some Words are the same

The Coin Has Smooth Edges, Example As A Modern Day Penny, Or Nichole, But Thicker.

We Have A Silver Dime. We Took A Piece Of Plain Paper And And Rubbed the Edges Of Both Coins On It. It Left A Grey Line On Both.

I Dunno The Way The Smooth Edges look it Is Like I Would Expect It Would look Back In 1776 Would Look Like.

Please Give Me Some Input...

Thanks

Robert, I think pictures are needed before anyone can offer you help on these boards. I also believe that this thread isn't the best place to ask for it.

Anyway, I just placed the order for this coin. I think there's a lot of history here and tokens like this say a lot about the spirit of this country.

71640.jpg.a0ac4bb5029c4584eb2a3dcaefb81987.jpg

71641.jpg.7fdae5b158e828d10e251d798b414df3.jpg

71642.jpg.6ed1ba6e37531015a5bed307ed106a68.jpg

71643.jpg.0aa432945a9c562b56efa0e6ece6fdd2.jpg

Nice Token there Rev. BTW, I pm'd robert and told him he would get better resonses as a new topic in the US Coin instead of this thread.

One of the neater tokens I've seen...Quite a bold statement on there!

A little information from the great Wiki:

Patriotic tokens:

Patriotic Civil War tokens typically displayed a patriotic slogan or image on one or both sides. Since the majority of these tokens were minted in Union states, the slogans and images were decidedly pro-Union. Some common examples of slogans found on patriotic tokens are "The Union Must and Shall Be Preserved," "Union For Ever," and "Old Glory". Some of the images found on patriotic tokens were the flag of the United States, a 19th-century cannon, and the USS Monitor.[6]

Among the best-known varieties of patriotic tokens are the so-called "Dix tokens." They are named for John Adams Dix, who served as Secretary of the Treasury in 1861. In a letter from Dix to a revenue cutter captain, Lieutenant Caldwell, he orders Caldwell to relieve another cutter captain of his command for refusing an order to transfer from New Orleans to New York. The letter ends with the following sentence: "If any one attempts to haul down the American flag, shoot him on the spot." The quote found its way to a number of patriotic tokens, albeit with a slightly modified wording ("haul down" is usually replaced by "tear it down").

That's a gorgeous FH dollar. The variety is B5. (thumbs u

Cool, B5..news to me. I know all about the half dollar overton numbers. Where can one research (online or book) the 'B' varieties for dollars?

Lovely FH dollar!

Jason, those are both very attractive Franklins. :applause: Both are tough to get in the condition that you got them in... a Nicely struck '54-S that looks to have some wisps of hair in front of the ear (which IMO is a more important representation of strike than FBL is), and a '52 with attractive toning. I know that Tomaska's book says '52's are RELATIVELY easy to find attractively toned, but for the life of me I haven't seen many at all. Nice pickups.

Nice Wifey there, JT! (thumbs u

No pics yet, (gotta' get it to Bob first) but I just got an 1858 SL 25c in PCGS PR64Cameo. It's toned too, so it's got both cameo contrast and toning.

Nice Wifey there, JT! (thumbs u

No pics yet, (gotta' get it to Bob first) but I just got an 1858 SL 25c in PCGS PR64Cameo. It's toned too, so it's got both cameo contrast and toning.

Nice spouse gold Jeff. Sy looking forward to your great addition. (thumbs u

Here is my first year of issue newbie. :hi:

GrandkidsJune2008045-1.jpgGrandkidsJune2008040-2-1.jpg

The price/demand for modern commemoratives has seemed to have dropped a bit. I couldn't pass up this PF70 since it cost me only a few dollars more then the original mint price and slabbing. :) I also noticed that 2008 MS SAEs are quite cheap in the 70 grade. I believe I will do a bit more research and see what else is out there. :wishluck:

71919.jpg.eaed814472d941be2f7d8a55ed547289.jpg

Edited by NASF Firefighter

Well, I saw an opportunity and grabbed these 2. They'll be a kick off for a set I've been considering making for a while now. The first coins for a 21st Century Proof Type Set.

71925.jpg.5a814a0d74d1293274936c7df2361f5b.jpg

71926.jpg.0204bd23d53a1eeb16a2723f2f6cb256.jpg

Nice looking New Haven Fugio Fletcher. Looks unc? (thumbs u

Thanks BOILER ... I wanted one of these for a LONG time and I bought it only as a backup in case I got outbid on the Norweb example the next day. I ended up getting stuck in traffic and missed the Norweb auction altogether. However, I think that I got a pretty good deal on this one and John from CRO liked it better than the Norweb example. Accordingly, I think that everything worked out for the best :-)