• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,909 posts in this topic

Been a long time since my last post... I see you all are still getting some great coins :golfclap:

Well I was able to be high bidder on 2 lots today in the FUN sale. They should make nice additions to my toned early commem set. (I hope). I'll try to take some good pics when I receive them.

columbian1obv.jpgcolumbian1rev.jpg

vermont1obv.jpgvermont1rev.jpg

Just when I thought I wouldn't get another 97-S half in decent condition - I just landed another one last night

Image to follow:

51200-1897sHalfPCGS53.jpg.773d39fc41c4c806ab678dd9a18289f1.jpg

Edited by Elbesaar

Here is my big purchase from the FUN show, an 1829 quarter eagle. PCGS graded it AU-55. It looks much better in person than it does in this photo. Every mark is magnified in this photo, and about half of the mint surface, which is Proof-like, is still there.

1829QuarterEagleO.jpg1829QuarterEagleR.jpg

There are 12 early gold type coins. I've got five left ... hm All of these coins are bears, but pieces I don't have are BIG BEARS.

Super coin Bill! Congrat's!!!!!!!!! (thumbs u

Picked up two of these from the same seller for $9.25 on eBay. I'm having a hard time getting the coin out of the capsule. :blush: Any help here?

1982 George Washington Half Dollar

On December 23, 1981 legislation was signed authorizing the Mint to strike not more than 10 million silver half dollars commemorating the 250th anniversary of the birth of George Washinton. The law specified that the issue was to be dated 1982, but allowed coinage to continue until December 1983. Proofs would be struck at the San Francisco Mint, while frosty Uncirculated specimens would be coined at the Denver facility. Distribution was through the Bureau of the Mint, local banks, and other authorized agencies. The obverse shows Washington on horseback. The reverse bears a rendition of his home at Mount Vernon. The designs were primarily those of Elizabeth Jones, a distinguished artist who was named as chief mint engraver at the Mint. This was the Mint's first commemorative half dollar since 1954.

Sellers Image

205b_1.jpg

20c2_1.jpg

My images through the plastic mint capsule

DSCN5201A.jpg

DSCN5203A.jpg

Here the second coin I found at the FUN for me. It is an 1853 with arrows and rays quarter. The coin is very conservatively graded by NGC as an MS-61. NGC could have easily given it another point. I had to pay the MS-62 price anyway.

I had been looking for a higher grade one, but this fit the slot just fine for a grand less than the cost of an MS-63 and more than a couple grand less than an MS-64.

The mintage was very high on these coins, the mint pushed the dies beyond their limits and did not stop to re-polish them often enough. As a reasult many of these coins have indifferent luster and weak strikes. This coin is very well struck for the type. The only real negative to it is that it has been dipped, but when you buy an MS-61, that comes with the territory.

This type is very hard to find in Mint State. Even AU coins are scarce. But given the high mintage, circualated examples are common, at least for a Seated Quarter.

1853warrowsQuOjpg.jpg1853warrowsQuR.jpg

Paid off two invoices at Heritage and here are the coins:

1884-CC NGC MS66 VAM2:

Picture021.jpg

Picture022.jpg

1870 2c PF65RB PCGS:

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

1866 5C RAYS MS64 PCGS:

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

1804 1/2C PCGS AU53 Plain 4, No Stems:

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Well here are some more photos:

1856 10C NGC MS 63:

Picture027-3.jpg

Picture029-1.jpg

1936 Columbia NGC MS 67:

Picture037.jpg

Picture038-2.jpg

1936 Lynchburg NGC MS 66:

Picture030-1.jpg

Picture031-1.jpg

1861 3CS NGC MS 66:

Picture034-1.jpg

Picture036-1.jpg

Paid off two invoices at Heritage and here are the coins:

1884-CC NGC MS66 VAM2:

Picture021.jpg

Picture022.jpg

1870 2c PF65RB PCGS:

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

1866 5C RAYS MS64 PCGS:

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

1804 1/2C PCGS AU53 Plain 4, No Stems:

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

im new to collecting,but i dont understand how that morgan dollar grades ms 66 with the gouge on check and neck?

Here the second coin I found at the FUN for me. It is an 1853 with arrows and rays quarter. The coin is very conservatively graded by NGC as an MS-61. NGC could have easily given it another point. I had to pay the MS-62 price anyway.

I had been looking for a higher grade one, but this fit the slot just fine for a grand less than the cost of an MS-63 and more than a couple grand less than an MS-64.

The mintage was very high on these coins, the mint pushed the dies beyond their limits and did not stop to re-polish them often enough. As a reasult many of these coins have indifferent luster and weak strikes. This coin is very well struck for the type. The only real negative to it is that it has been dipped, but when you buy an MS-61, that comes with the territory.

This type is very hard to find in Mint State. Even AU coins are scarce. But given the high mintage, circualated examples are common, at least for a Seated Quarter.

1853warrowsQuOjpg.jpg1853warrowsQuR.jpg

Old dipping or not, it looks like a nice coin to me. I was trying to figure out which OBV and REV your coin is but gave up. I believe there were 119 OBV dies and 120 REV dies used for the arrowed '53-P quarter.