• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,910 posts in this topic

Thanks Bobby, and yes there are a few tiny marks on the reverse that don't show in the picture. The overall strike of the coin is weak as well.

Rey

1861 Half Dime

1861HalfDimeOBV.jpg

1861HalfDimeREV.jpg

How does the toning look to you all? It looks right to me but I must admit, I have been bitten before.

-Broc

is it a proof?

I was considering this myself but I don't think it is the case. I know that some early proofs are not so proof looking, this one is so-so on the 'proofiness'. I would call it semi-prooflike, but heavily subdued due to both the toning and parallel die polish lines which are on 95% or so of both obverse and reverse fields. The reeds on the edge are very sharp and square, but the rim isn't any thicker than a circulation strike as I would expect to see (but not sure if is the case for half dimes) on a proof.

The thing that seals the deal for not being proof, unless there exists a second die pair for proofs of this year, is the orientation of the dress tassel (which resides at the bottom of the main central fold just right of center) over the date. The dozen or so proofs I looked at in the Heritage gallery show that the tassel hangs about mid-line above the 6. On my coin it hangs above the right side loop of 6. I think I will send this one in to NGC eventually either way.

Thank you all for your kind comments, it was one of those ones I had to snap up right away when I saw it.

Keeping up on the topic of the thread, this is a Morgan I picked up at the Long Beach show this weekend. It is uncertified and 'MS-62+'. The color is a bit exaggerated in this picture but shows the full spectrum seen in hand under proper lighting:

1878-SOBV.jpg

My one regret that I didn't think of until well after the show is that in the album this coin came out of, right next to this coin was another 1878-S with similar toning which was football shaped instead of crescent. I think they might have puzzle-pieced together but I didn't consider it when I was looking at them! They would have been a cool pair if such was the case but alas I will never know.

-Broc

1861 Half Dime

1861HalfDimeOBV.jpg

1861HalfDimeREV.jpg

How does the toning look to you all? It looks right to me but I must admit, I have been bitten before.

-Broc

is it a proof?

I was considering this myself but I don't think it is the case. I know that some early proofs are not so proof looking, this one is so-so on the 'proofiness'. I would call it semi-prooflike, but heavily subdued due to both the toning and parallel die polish lines which are on 95% or so of both obverse and reverse fields. The reeds on the edge are very sharp and square, but the rim isn't any thicker than a circulation strike as I would expect to see (but not sure if is the case for half dimes) on a proof.

The thing that seals the deal for not being proof, unless there exists a second die pair for proofs of this year, is the orientation of the dress tassel (which resides at the bottom of the main central fold just right of center) over the date. The dozen or so proofs I looked at in the Heritage gallery show that the tassel hangs about mid-line above the 6. On my coin it hangs above the right side loop of 6. I think I will send this one in to NGC eventually either way.

Thank you all for your kind comments, it was one of those ones I had to snap up right away when I saw it.

Keeping up on the topic of the thread, this is a Morgan I picked up at the Long Beach show this weekend. It is uncertified and 'MS-62+'. The color is a bit exaggerated in this picture but shows the full spectrum seen in hand under proper lighting:

1878-SOBV.jpg

My one regret that I didn't think of until well after the show is that in the album this coin came out of, right next to this coin was another 1878-S with similar toning which was football shaped instead of crescent. I think they might have puzzle-pieced together but I didn't consider it when I was looking at them! They would have been a cool pair if such was the case but alas I will never know.

-Broc

Got a reverse pic of the Morgan? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Here are a few of mine:

1888 10C Au55 ANACS:

picture135qy4.jpgpicture136st8.jpg

1878 CC GSA Morgan:

picture138xr3.jpgpicture139dq5.jpg

Do you think the Dime will cross to NGC and what do you think the Morgan will grade. I know the pictures are not the best in the world which makes it hard to grade. I think the Morgan is a VAM 2.

I sold a cleaned CC today with the same obverse.

Do you see the spikes in the eyes and nose?

I would say MS63 - MS64

That is a little piece of plastic from the GSA holder Bobby, nice coins all. The Morgan should grade a Ms-63 lot of contact {bag} marks on cheek. thumbsup2.gif

I was think 62 due to all the bag marks on the obverse in the check and fields. I don't see a chip in the nose but I think I see something in the eye. Still trying to learn how to spot all of these items.

Here are a few pictures of the 1878-S Morgan, a little more true to life although a bit dark, the untoned area and the reverse are a nice frosty silver color. I just got two of the OTT-LITES today and the difference is already apparent, the hype is true thumbsup2.gif I just need to adjust to these over the GM bulbs I was using and get a better back drop for more accurate white balance (which is set to manual but my Nikon Coolpix still likes to fluctuate on it).

1878-SOBVOTT.jpg

1878-SREVOTT.jpg

I tried to see if there was a VAM possiblity for this one but hit a dead end, the Denticles above AMERI on the reverse are doubled and there are very fine die polish lines on either side of the eagle's body. On the Obverse the only thing that struck me is a very fine die crack running from the point of Liberty's bust to the rim.

I sure will post the results of the Half Dime when it gets back, I plan to send it and a few other coins (maybe this Morgan as well) by the middle of this week on the 12 day boat.

-Broc

My two most recent purchases...a 1938-D PCGS OGH MS65 (bought for $57), and an MS65 (raw) 1938-D/D I cherrypicked from ebay ($25)...it wasn't noted that it was a D/D grin.gif.

DSC04691.jpgDSC04694.jpg

DSC04719.jpgDSC04720.jpg

---My microscope pics...

DSC04707.jpgDSC04711.jpg

I saw the one in the upper part of the eye, the others I didn't see. Thanks. Does anyone know if NGC will regonize this on a label? My gut says no since it isn't a top100 or top50.

Also check out my latest from Heritage:

1941 10C MS68*

Edited by Dwaine