• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,912 posts in this topic

I had to pick this up being in MA and ALL - Right - That's a good excuse to buy it - RIGHT - Say Yes - Say YEs - SAYYYYY YEEEESSSS!!!!!

Why Thank You smile.gif

1660987-toned.jpg

I like this coin. I’m even willing to guess that this is the most original coin in your collection thumbsup2.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Stunning pictures thumbsup2.gif

Got this from my friendly post office today some one tryed to pass it over as a UK £2 coin.. the nice lady in the post office took it and i gave her the £2 for it...

Is it a Token or coin ? And is it worth the £2 i payed for it ? it seens in top condition

1662664-11.jpg

1662664-11.jpg.7f41b47d16b4ba1c96d17f7b00745d04.jpg

Edited by dooly

It appears to be a token for the Delaware Memorial Bridge, which as far as I know is the world's longest twin span bridge. I believe the toll is in one direction only, going into Delaware from the New Jersey side, and is about $3 for a car.

...I think something's wrong with the Cook Island Dollar though...it's a little fuzzy wink.gif

I had it up (no pun intended) for about 5 minutes when I realized it might not be appropriate for YN's. So I thought maybe it would be better to fuzz it a little. 893whatthe.gif

I just purchased this 1874 with arrows quarter in NGC PR-65. And yes these images are of the same coin. It depends upon the angle the viewer has when looking at the piece. It goes to show how different lighting can change the appearance of a coin.

This is a two year type, and the total mintage for the years 1873 and '74 was just 1,240 pieces in Proof. NGC has graded just 35 piece in PR-65.

1873QDark.jpg

1874.jpg

an outstanding coin!

Ditto! And it appears cameo to boot!

I was just reading up on these in the redbook yesterday. Desire certainly was stirred in my heart but I doubt that I will ever own one anytime soon. frown.gif

Thanks guys.

I had reservations about buying this because it is an expensive piece (for me) and my perception over the years is that the 1873-4 With Arrows coins are not that popular with collectors. They are scarce because the coins were a two year type, and the mintages were limited by the fact that the country was mired in a recession, The Panic of 1873, which limited the demand for new coins.

It was interesting to compare this PR-65 graded piece with a couple of PR-64 graded pieces I have recently purchased. From an eye appeal perspective, I actually like the PR-64 coins better. But when I put the coins under my microscope, the difference in the number of hairlines was pretty dramatic. I could see virtually no hairlines on the 1873, but the other two pieces had quite a few, which will covered by toning.

I hope that I will be able fill some more holes in my circa 1860 to 1891 type set with more PR-64 coins. PR-65 coins are a stretch. The trouble is these With Arrows coins are hard to find attractive in the MS and Proof grades. Most have been dipped white or have odd toning. That’s why I decided to spring for this one.

I hope that I will be able fill some more holes in my circa 1860 to 1891 type set with more PR-64 coins.

That, too, is my collecting goal. And I agree that many PR65 coins also stretch my budget! I also prefer cameo coins when available and feasible.

takeit.gif

It is very interesting how lighting can change the coin's appearance.

In your opinion, which image better describes this stunning type coin ?

You also mentioned a Proof 64 - which you liked better - do you

have that image as well, for comparison purposes ?

My newest acquisition:

[you know there'll be a red X where

the image is supposed to be: ] { I can't believe the image appeared !!!}1665963-1906DhalfPCGS64.jpg

1665963-1906DhalfPCGS64.jpg.993c59bd3ae16c07d7624a32305899f7.jpg

Edited by Elbesaar

You also mentioned a Proof 64 - which you liked better - do you

have that image as well, for comparison purposes ?

My newest acquisition:

[you know there'll be a red X where

the image is supposed to be: ] { I can't believe the image appeared !!!}1665963-1906DhalfPCGS64.jpg

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

I'd say.....both! It all depends upon the lighting but the darker image is probably the more realistic, everyday look.

Sweet Barber Half, btw! MS65?

And.........

--------------------

Looking for Barber Quarter: 1901-S

PCGS, ICG or NGC : AU 53 to 58

All I can say is...... 893whatthe.gifhail.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gif

I've added a new small cent to the pattern typeset.

J198_mgm_copy1.jpg

and a new trime to the regular issue set. laugh.gif

thanks to mgoodm3 for the images.

1851_trime.jpg

They are both amazing pieces, and the 1851 three cent silver is very well struck for the issue.

I agree with Tom. The strike and color on that type I trime is incredible! The best I have ever seen!

On another note, I kind of like the shield on the reverse of the cent pattern.

Anyone who would have the pleasure to view Boiler's entire collection in person would be in for a huge treat!

They are both amazing pieces, and the 1851 three cent silver is very well struck for the issue.

I agree with Tom. The strike and color on that type I trime is incredible! The best I have ever seen!

On another note, I kind of like the shield on the reverse of the cent pattern.

Anyone who would have the pleasure to view Boiler's entire collection in person would be in for a huge treat!

That would be an understatment.

That's a beaut of a 69dcam! 893applaud-thumb.gif I always like that year because of the moon landing, plus you can find some really stunning Kennedys, like yours.

I just got these two in the mail today. The first is a nice Morgan I needed for my AU/BU set in a Dansco that I bought from a member of this forum:

1887o1dobv.JPG

1887o1drev.JPG

This second one was a nice merc I bought from someone on another board, I mainly got it because it is my Dad's birth year.

1941d10cobv.JPG

1941d10crev.JPG

I'd say.....both! It all depends upon the lighting but the darker image is probably the more realistic, everyday look.

Sweet Barber Half, btw! MS65?

And.........

--------------------

Looking for Barber Quarter: 1901-S

PCGS, ICG or NGC : AU 53 to 58

All I can say is...... 893whatthe.gifhail.gifhail.gif893whatthe.gif

Thanks for the compliments on the 06-D. The coin is in a PCGS 64 holder. I also think its a 65 but won't be resubmitting it until my MS date set is complete. Then the whole "kit and kabotle" gets sent in for regrade.

The 01-S quarter is the glaring hole in my Eagle Album...and as my collection of quarters ranges from AU 53 [ 96-O, 96-S, 98-S, 03-O, 06-D, 12-S ] thru MS 64 [ 06-O, 09-O, 11-D, 11-S ]. I would say the balance of the set is split evenly in grades 55 & 58.

I'd prefer to have had the whole set in AU 58, but as there is just one 1909-O in PCGS 58 - and he ain't parting with that baby in my lifetime - that's for sure - I knew I had to get a MS coin for the collection. I also hope to upgrade the AU 53's, but I'm not in any hurry.

I can safely say that my quarter collection is considerably nicer looking than the half dollar set...just wild beautifully toned monsters for the most part. The only whitish coins are the 11-D & S but I also have these dates in AU 58 as well which are vividly toned too.

One of these days, I'll have the quarter set imaged ... right now, all I have is a scanner and the coins don't look natural with the scanner [ the scanner works well with mid range VF/XF coins though , I think the brilliance throws off the scanner on the AU & MS coins ] .

Mike, I'm truly impressed! Mostly with your Barber Quarter set but also with the rest of your collecting interest IAW your bio.

You didn't mention the 1913 S. What's the scoop on that-a-one?

I've been reading up on Barber Quarters lately because I had 2/3's of a set fall in my lap but they are just in the Good-ish range. I'm going to work on it just as a fun set. The two big ones are low priority for me, though, since my primary interest is my type set. I just committed to buy a choice F15 1805 dime. I still have lots of early types to go. I am proud of my 1794 cent in VF20 that I got from Hoot. My proof Barber set is pretty sweet, too. I'm at 60%+ now but that last 40% will be pretty tough. :þ

Bruce Lee (Brucewar) imaged my type set a few months ago. He's branched out and has been imaging other board member's coins as well. He doesn't charge anything because he enjoys the challenge so much. I would recommend his services if you're interested. He is very honorable and registered mail is virtually risk free. So, I'll leave this hanging out there for you. wink.gif

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it. Your enthusiasm is contageous. thumbsup2.gif