• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,912 posts in this topic

b179453.jpg

My, someone's been busy.

Nice James. Are you going to use it for a pocket coin? 893whatthe.gif

One of these days I'm getting me one of those. And I'm not talking about the pocket piece. thumbsup2.gif

Edited by robec1347

James, what's the grade on your '59 Frankie? I like it a lot. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Bob,

It is not certified, but I grade it PF-66 with no CAM! The problem is, the lower truncation of Franklin's bust is brilliant and without mint frost, so although 95% of the obverse and reverse details are slam-dunk UCAM, that only little area would keep it out of UCAM territory. I have to reshoot the image, because the coin has nice, delicate colorful border toning on the obverse, but didn't show up due to poor angling of the camera.

I paid a little extra, because it is just an awesome coin, giving all of the PF-66 UCAM look for a fraction of the price.

James, what's the grade on your '59 Frankie? I like it a lot. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Bob,

It is not certified, but I grade it PF-66 with no CAM! The problem is, the lower truncation of Franklin's bust is brilliant and without mint frost, so although 95% of the obverse and reverse details are slam-dunk UCAM, that only little area would keep it out of UCAM territory. I have to reshoot the image, because the coin has nice, delicate colorful border toning on the obverse, but didn't show up due to poor angling of the camera.

I paid a little extra, because it is just an awesome coin, giving all of the PF-66 UCAM look for a fraction of the price.

James,

Some really nice coins in there. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Regarding your '59, I would think it should at least proof * and if you're lucky it might pr cameo.

1959 is a VERY tricky year for grading cameos. Cameo Frankies per se for that year are not uncommon... HOWEVER, deep cameos are another story entirely. Also, as in a variety of series graded by TPGs, let's say MS Franklins and FBL for the '53-S, the arbitrary cutoff has become somewhat higher than it truly should be due to the current low populations and thus the internal monologue going on inside some TPG grader when grading an example.

At this point in time 1959 is the 2nd toughest PCGS date for dcam and the toughest date for NGC ucam. To give you an example of how hard it is to get a dcam, my 1959 was a plate coin (plate #46) for Tomaska's book on cameo proof coinage, and it only cameo'd when I sent it in. When I eventually get around to selling it I'll NCS it, and if it still doesn't ultra-cameo at that point then I'll do a presidential review on the sucker.

IMO your coin should at least proof * as it stands. Depending on what's going on above Ben's head and under his bust (carbon spots, dark toning etc.?) it may be worthwhile to NCS the coin if you are planning on having it graded. Of course this would trash the toning you were talking about so that's probably a no go.

Anyhow, it's a nice proof 1959. thumbsup2.gif

Nice coins, James. 893applaud-thumb.gif

54arrowshalf.jpg

Here is my newest. laugh.gif

I believe the seller it came from posts on the PCGS forums occasionally.

-Amanda

Nice example for the grade thumbsup2.gif

here is my cheapie; i'm going to put this on my keychain, as a reminder of my hobby. 1861-O seated lib half; this one apperas to have the die crack, from what i can tell, which should mean the "johnny rebs" minted it. Even if it doesn't, it will still be cool to have with me everyday.

http://home.att.net/~wine-cellar/29946

http://home.att.net/~wine-cellar/29945

Super coin Amanda!!

These two arrived today. The lustre on the 41-S Obverse is just amazing and the color is fantastic. It's a shame the Reverse sucks.

DSCN2603A.jpg

DSCN2599A.jpg

I went to my first show today. smile.gif About 30 dealers. I went looking for early copper, of course, but didn't find any worth buying. frown.gif I did manage to find this for my DANSCO 7070. The dealer had it as a VF2O; O-111:

DSCN2616C.jpg

These two arrived today. The lustre on the 41-S Obverse is just amazing and the color is fantastic. It's a shame the Reverse sucks.

'Zactly what I was thinking. crazy.gif

I think VF20 is a great grade for original looking, classic coinage. Just won this on on ebay:

1647559-1842SL%24Slab.jpg

589a90589baad_1647559-1842SLSlab.jpg.706e455cdf9b817db1570aa200f3ba00.jpg

'Zactly what I was thinking. crazy.gif

I think VF20 is a great grade for original looking, classic coinage. Just won this on on ebay:

1647559-1842SL%24Slab.jpg

I was watching that one veeeeeeeeeeeeery closely. I decided not to bid though. wink.gif