• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your most recent acquisition: US
8 8

20,912 posts in this topic

RGT

You really have special eyes for detecting attractive coins from images provided by sellers.

I also had that coin on my watch list, but was afraid to pull the trigger because of their poor images..............great catch thumbsup2.gif

I placed bid on another 1862 they had on that sale, but lost it.

Edited by toyonakataro

Thanks for the comments.

Taro, I was watching both of those 1862's and I thought this one had more potential to look good in hand. The other one looked good, but I thought it didn't have the colors that this one has. Of course I will never know since I can't see the other one in hand. It was just a bonus that this one went cheaper than the other one. I was a little concerned about the obverse from the image but I was sure the reverse was going to look good. It's too bad NGC didn't put it in the holder straight.

Sorry that you missed out on the other one. It was probably a nice one too.

I found this 1913 half eagle at the last Baltimore show. I didn't come in looking for this coin, but when I spotted it, I had to pounce. This type is quite hard to find, and this is one of the few dates within the design that is "common." A large part of the mintage was melted because these coins contained too much gold.

It's in an NGC AU-58 holder.

1813HalfEagleO.jpg

1813HalfEagleR.jpg

That is a great coin thumbsup2.gif What would one buy with $5 in 1813? I mean, how were these coins used?

Thats a good question, but it does not look like this one got much use at all.

I found this 1913 half eagle at the last Baltimore show. I didn't come in looking for this coin, but when I spotted it, I had to pounce. This type is quite hard to find, and this is one of the few dates within the design that is "common." A large part of the mintage was melted because these coins contained too much gold.

1813HalfEagleO.jpg

1813HalfEagleR.jpg

So, Bill, are you Boiler's brother or sumpting? grin.gif

What an outstanding coin that only an elite few will ever own!!

I remember checking out your NGC gold registry before. It was amazing! If only it contained your early gold as well then it would be stunning! cloud9.gif

Luckily, I have a strong heart so I reckon that I could take it! wink.gif

"Super" nice piece Bill!!! smile.gif Congrat's. thumbsup2.gif This one arrived today. Quite a few problems at the SF Mint when this one came through. Alloy Problems, "BIE", extra metal on the wheat stalks, and some extra lettering. Did I miss anything?

1955Slincolnobvslab2.jpg

1955Slincolnrevslab1.jpg

DSCN1818.jpg

DSCN1822.jpg

1813HalfEagleO.jpg

1813HalfEagleR.jpg

takeit.gif

cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

1813HalfEagleO.jpg

1813HalfEagleR.jpg

takeit.gif

cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

That IS beautiful!!! hail.gif

I posted after the Baltimore show that I purchased three coins, and one of those coins was immediately put on the boards, but the other two coins were never shared. This is one of the two previously not shown coins. It is an 1806/5 Draped Bust half graded EF45 by PCGS. The images, while quite good, really do not capture the character of the coin. The areas that appear darker on the screen are actually a deep, frosty navy in color while the remainder of the coin is the grey that appears in the images.

1532234-CopyofI1806P45.jpg

1532235-CopyofI1806P45R.jpg

I posted after the Baltimore show that I purchased three coins, and one of those coins was immediately put on the boards, but the other two coins were never shared. This is one of the two previously not shown coins. It is an 1806/5 Draped Bust half graded EF45 by PCGS. The images, while quite good, really do not capture the character of the coin. The areas that appear darker on the screen are actually a deep, frosty navy in color while the remainder of the coin is the grey that appears in the images.

1532234-CopyofI1806P45.jpg

1532235-CopyofI1806P45R.jpg

I was beginning to wonder about that. I thought you may have left them at Bob's house. Tom, I'm not very knowledgeable on Bust Halves, but I just noticed that 6 of the stars on the obverse appear larger than the other 7. It doesn't look like it's due to wear either. Can you explain?

Chris

This is an O.101, which is a knobbed-six, large stars obverse that is an overdate punched on top of a vertical 5 and having a horizontal appearing recut 0. The characteristic obverse for this piece shows very weak stars at positions one and two, with stars in positions three through five being stronger and star thirteen again being weak. The remaining seven stars are much stronger.

Winston, if you saw this coin in-hand you would not think it too clean for me; it is dark and the surfaces quite nice. The image is taken with quite a bit of light and the deep navy is not showing up. The coin is relatively high in grade (EF45) and it did not pick up much circulation dirt, nor did it pick up any real circulation marks or injuries. It fits quite well with my other coins.