• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent Modern Purchase -- 1967 Kennedy MS-67 NGC

8 posts in this topic

1967 Kennedy Half, graded MS-67 by NGC. Less than a dozen graded at 67 by NGC for the Type (Silver Clad 1965-1970):

fc1bb9d0.jpg

fc1bb9ce.jpg

I purchased this as an experiment, to get a feel for NGC's grading of moderns. This was recently graded, in the latest NGC holder. At the time I bought it, population was 1, although a few more have been added since. I have some opinions on it, but wanted to open the floor up first for other comments.

And, if anyone's looking for an approx. 1,800 point boost in their Registry set, the coin is available. You may PM with offers.

Keith,

Tick in the hair, light tick on cheek, and what looks like a reed mark at 6:00. Reverse appears to have some light spotting at 6:00, and a pretty bad mark on the O in dollar. The shield is clean, and the luster looks superb. The light tracks in the luster don't bother me at all. I love the coin, but to me it's a solid 66. JMO

How does it look normal size, in hand?

I'm guessing those "marks" in front of the face are luster breaks instead of actual hits?

Well struck, few real marks, good luster. Overall a nice coin. Don't know if it is a "true" MS67, but at the very least a solid MS66.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the marks in front of the face are hard to see in person due to the strong luster. Sometimes things like that will show up on a scan as very distracting that are totally meaningless (or very nearly so) in person. With that said, I can't tell for sure without seeing it in person if it is a true 67 or not. But it is at least a solid 66.

I just had a '65 SMS Kennedy in 67 pass through here. Is this one a SMS coin?

One difference is my photo isn't as bright as yours, I need to continue working on my lighting...

173422-1965-Kennedy-SMS-67-Obv.jpg.3c5e7904cfb296f75d33636a06e2cb75.jpg

This coin is definitely a business strike, Carl. I wasn't 100%, and took it to lot viewing at Heritage and had their graders look at it. They are certain it is a business strike as well.

There are a lot of minor luster scrapes, and minor marks. The major hits, in many cases, are not true hits, but instead, fragments struck into the coin. NGC makes a big distinction on this one. since these occur in the minting process, they don't count against the grade. Also, the coin has a lot of heavy die polishing, almost making the coin look cleaned. When looking at it with the naked eye though, the coin looks great and booms with luster, with few of the marks being noticable.

Like most, I would probably call this a PQ 66 if asked to grade it. Relatively mark free (ignoring the fragments struck through) and a very sharp strike to the piece, uncommon on early Kennedy halves.