• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rotated Dies and Coin Value - Do They Add or Detract?

13 posts in this topic

I know alot of mint errors seem to add value. I have often seen the rotated die listed as one of those errors. I have several coins with rotated dies, some as much as 20 degrees or more. Does anyone know what , if anything this does to the value of the coin?

angel.gif

In my opinion, rotations of 90 degrees to 270 degrees can add a small premium. It's a matter of finding someone who cares, though.

I have a proof '72DDO shield nickel that has nearly 180 degree rotated dies. I paid about $100 premium for it many years ago, and I'm glad I did because I've never seen another one.

Rotated dies in US coins are common throughout the 19th and early 20th centuries.

They do not command a premium.

A large degree of rotation may be worth a liitle more, but never that much.

I have a proof '72DDO shield nickel that has nearly 180 degree rotated dies. I paid about $100 premium for it many years ago, and I'm glad I did because I've never seen another one.

That would be an exceptionally cool piece since it is close to "medal" alignment. thumbsup2.gif

I have an 1864 2-cent piece that has about a 40-degree rotation and I paid about $5 for it in AG/G, so there wasn't much of a premium.

Generally, the added premium is small unless it happens to have 90, 180 or 270 degrees of rotation. Even in that case, there are many coins that are so often seen with rotated dies (in fact, maybe a majority are rotated) that there is no premium at all.

I would guess that the premium would be stronger for recent coins. If you had an Ike dollar, or a state quarter, for example, with 180 degree rotation, that would probably be worth a good premium.

James

There is actually a commemorative silver dollar from the late '80's (?) with a medalic alignment that brings a huge premium.

In some situations Philadelphia Mint engraver Charles Barber deliberatly struck trial pieces with medal-turn die orientation. (I.e.: 180-degree rotation.) This helped him separate trial pieces from normal circulation pieces. This is documented for the 1908 $5 and $2.50 trial pieces sent to the mint director for approval - one $2.50 was accidentally "spent" and might still exist -- somewhere.

There are also 1911 cents from the regular dies but struck in standard CuNi and in 88% Cu, 12% Ni (as in the flying eagle cents). These also have dies oriented medal-turn. No specimens are known, but some might exist in error collections.

i had a 2c with a 180 degree die rotation--it was also in ms60, and the die rotation added about fifty percent (i called weinberg and that's what he offered), but i ended up selling it on ebay and getting about the same.

i have a bunch of early commem halves with rotation <20 degrees and that adds nothing other than novelty.

ultimately, the die rotation should not detract from the price at all. if you happen to find someone interested in those errors, then you can usually pick up some premium, depending on how often the mint screwed up on that particular coin.

I get goose bumps when I discover one of these errors ! I know it doesn't add up to a fortune gained for one of these , but just the same , I like them as an oddity. I have a few Indian head nickels with slight rotations , like 20-30 degrees , and one Trime with 180 degree rotation .

At the Baltimore Show this year , Jay Turner ( of NGC ) said the Trime could be slabbed , but it probably wouldn't bring a premium , but I mentioned that because I had found it , it would only be for personnal value anyway to add to my error coins !

As far as no premiums , IMHO , it all depends on the coin as well .

I would pay a very small premium for a Bustie with at least a 45 degree rotation. Anything less rotated than that, no premium.

On a Classic Commem I prefer no rotation at all.