• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ben Franklin Commems

12 posts in this topic

Sweet! I want one (of each) - but where to get one? I missed the ball at the mint, since I only just got back into the hobby...but the design is great! I love these coins.

Hey, would you mind if I edit one of those pics above into an avatar?

Very nice, Chris. Looks like a great set of coins. Gotta say that I think the proofs are more attractive with these coins. I'll just have to wait for mine to see for certain.

Hoot

Sweet! I want one (of each) - but where to get one? I missed the ball at the mint, since I only just got back into the hobby...but the design is great! I love these coins.

Hey, would you mind if I edit one of those pics above into an avatar?

Be my guest.

Chris

Very nice, Chris. Looks like a great set of coins. Gotta say that I think the proofs are more attractive with these coins. I'll just have to wait for mine to see for certain.

Hoot

I'll have to agree with you.

1182586-IMG_0304.JPG1182586-IMG_0306.JPG

1182586-IMG_0303.JPG1182586-IMG_0305.JPG

The satin finish just doesn't give the central device the oomph that you see in the proof.

Chris

1182586-IMG_0305.JPG.b750f2eb1b3ad7408c4adfab39ed4b9e.JPG

I only order the proof of the old guy coin, and uncs of each. Scheduled to ship 4/30 if all goes according to plan (though I still could get shut out, so that the CW advertisers can all get their thousands of coins to markup to $50-100). The continental dollar looks better than I thought it would.

I'm so jealous! I've got 16 on order. I'm planning on sending some in for certification. I can't wait to get them. What do you think of the quality? Any MS70 or PF70's in the group?

Greg

I'm so jealous! I've got 16 on order. I'm planning on sending some in for certification. I can't wait to get them. What do you think of the quality? Any MS70 or PF70's in the group?

Greg

I made sure to limit my order to two of each. Remember what happened to the UNC Sets last year? There was such a huge demand that the Mint unilaterally reduced orders to ten sets. Who can say what the Mint might do in this regard?

As for grade, they all are high quality. On the UNC Franklins, I did note a very, very tiny nick in the satin finish of two coins but it isn't visible to the naked eye. I don't think it should have any bearing on the overall grade. The PF coins appear to be perfect. I don't know if it would be worthwhile sending them for grading. If mine are indicative of the entire production, then there may be a huge number of 70's on the market in short time. I'll wait to see what kind of results come from the TPGS', before I consider having them graded. Why spend the additional money if you don't need to?

Chris

I just did an ebay search which shows the buy it now price at $49.95 at the lowest and $75 at the highest.

I also checked out the Marine Corp commem prices which are, surprisingly, still pretty soft at c. $60. I actually got 10 of each of these but missed out on the Franklin commem's (except for the proof/unc young Ben). I'm still amazed that these sold out in two weeks! I wholely expect that the Marine Corp dollars will have an after market value of $100 which is why I'm surprised at the low prices they are currently demanding on ebay.

p.s. Any word yet if the US Mint is going to release another commem for 2006 or does the two Franklin commems fulfil the 2006 quota per law?

Woo-Hoo!! Those look Great Chris ! I didn't wanna stay on the phone all morning and lost my persistance I guess , for the 800 number order line . I remember that you said ya got right in an out with yours....it seems that it paid off .

I went to a dealer to get mine from their big order , so I paid more , but then sometimes being lazy costs-ouch. I understand the dealer got'm also and will be sending mine out soon. I can only hope they look as good as the ones you have there. -John

Arrrrrggggh! I just called and checked with the mint. They tried to call on April 3 and April 6 to charge the credit card I gave them. It was declined both times! I had given them an alternate credit card because the one I usually use was going to expire in March and I didn't know what the new expiration date would be. I gave them a new credit card number and the updated expiration date. I just hope I don't lose my coins over all of this. I just tried to call the number on the back of the credit card to find out why they declined it. They never heard of the account number and it was a different bank. I can't find any reference on the internet and no one seems to know who this credit card belongs to and it is still good for this year. Well at least I though it was anyway. It figures this would happend to me. The lady at the mint told me to call back Tuesday to check and see if they had worked everything out. Hopefully they haven't distributed them all yet.

Greg