• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cameo Walking Liberty Half

23 posts in this topic

I've always wanted a nice cameo Walking Liberty half and Buffalo nickel. However, I don't want to spend the big money to get them. Here is (hopefully) an acceptable alternative to the Walker.

I just won it on eBay from a dealer that I've purchased from before. His descriptions seemed fine in the past and his pictures were accurate. He says "SOME LIGHT FROSTING TO THE DEVICES, ESPECIALLY ON THE OBVERSE!". I'll see when it arrives.

1938walkerobv.jpg

1938walkerrev.jpg

It's graded NGC PF64* and I picked it up for $2 under Bluesheet bid. smile.gif

Nice looking coin Greg. The scratches in the obverse field are a little distracting, but the coin's excellent detail make up for it. And, no doubt, it did not get a * rating for nothing! Let us know.

Hoot

The scratches in the obverse field are a little distracting, but the coin's excellent detail make up for it. And, no doubt, it did not get a * rating for nothing! Let us know.

Yeah, those scratches are a little distracting. However, I am hoping that they aren't as bad as the picture shows. The coin got a * (1 of only 3 for this date) and I'm pretty sure that if they were really distracting it wouldn't have gotten the designation. I think (hope) they just reflected poorly in the picture.

It looks like it has some haze or toning spots scattered around. I'll give NCS a try at getting rid of those.

Still, for $2 under Bluesheet I can't go wrong.

Greg,

That's a very nice coin - good score. Isn't it possible that the scratches are on the case and not on the coin (893crossfingers-thumb.gif)? It's hard to believe a coin with those scratches would merit the * designation.

Beijim

It seems funny to me that the Sun isn't frosted at all. All slightly frosted proof Walkers I've seen are that way. I'm curious why the mint didn't bring up the contrast on the Sun?

That's a very nice coin - good score. Isn't it possible that the scratches are on the case and not on the coin (893crossfingers-thumb.gif)? It's hard to believe a coin with those scratches would merit the * designation.

The seller wrote: "Just a series of light lines in the right obverse field keep this coin from the superb category." so the lines are there. However, I think (hope) a lot of the boldness of the lines is due to reflection. If you look at the toning/haze to the left of IGWT it seems to jump off the surfaces. I know this isn't accurate. It's the proof surfaces giving this illusion. I'm hoping the same for the lines.

Still a neat coin. I haven't owned a proof Walker in a long time. And at Bluesheet for a normal PF64 I can't go wrong.

i made the FIRST ever cameo proof walker at pcgs

it graded pcgs proof 67 cameo 1938 still the finest higher graded and a solid 67 with a solid cameo obverse

cmaeo proof walkers are out there i am surprised more are not certified because of the low relief of the coin the sun is never frosted well in 35 years i have yet to see one

also usually the obverse is always more cameo than the reverse

and 1938 is the most common date in cameo if more cameo coins exist which they do! many are just put away already certified in holders and for whatever reasons the owners are not sending them in for the designation

but they do know what they got

sincerely michael

if you go on the finest coins sold by rick tomaska ricoins.com website you can see this cameo walker as per the above!

sincerely michael shy.gif

Wow great deal. I am sure that half looks a lot better in person. I know scans dont always do the coins justice but we have a PF64* in our inventory and knowing the star des for the walkers a little, I am sure it is a great example for the grade. The one we have has nice deep mirrors with some hairlines (reason for the grade) but no toning, hazing or spotting, and has some great contrast on the obv and a light frost on the rev. I am attaching some pics

1938.50pf64.jpg

Greg and Todd- THAT'S they way to buy them!

Scarce turns into RARE with any signs of CAM. Neat coins. And Greg, here's to keeping my fingers crossed that yours looks as good, in person, as Todd's does.

Wow great deal. I am sure that half looks a lot better in person. I know scans dont always do the coins justice but we have a PF64* in our inventory and knowing the star des for the walkers a little, I am sure it is a great example for the grade. The one we have has nice deep mirrors with some hairlines (reason for the grade) but no toning, hazing or spotting, and has some great contrast on the obv and a light frost on the rev.

That's odd. I looked up the pop of this coin last night and I swear it said 1 in PF64* and 2 in PF66*. After I saw yours I checked and it says 2 in PF64*, 2 in PF66* and 2 in PF67*. Oh well, either the pop jumped since it was last updated or my tired eyes read it wrong.

I looked on the RI Coins site, but I didn't see the coin listed for sale. Just curious, how much is it? It looks to have better contrast and deeper mirrors than the one I purchased. Nice coin. laugh.gif

And didn't you have a near cameo Buffalo for sale?

Hey Greg,

been busy around here lately but that Walker has a price of $700 on it. Real nice and I am sure the one you got is too or it would not have gotten that star. If this one just did not have those hairlines.....

On the other hand we also have one of those in 67* in our inventory and let me tell you that one is tremendous with great cameo on both obv and rev but here are some pics of this beauty... why not cameo????

1938ngc.jpg

1938ngc67.jpg

That's an awesome coin. That's one I would be sending back for a written explanation as to why it didn't get the cameo designation.

The only guess I have is that the lower skirt is a little too light as is the mountains. On the reverse it is possible the eagles perch is light, but I think that is probably the photo. I can't imagine that they would require the sun and flowing drapery under her arm to be cameoed. That's be a near impossible standard.

Hey Greg I am including the link of the pics we have of the 67 cam that michael made through pcgs. Compare the two they are both superb coins and who knows one day it just may lose that star and add a cam. I would not mind to add it to my collection but I already have too much stuff on layaway. It is hard sometimes when you work for a dealer, so much stuff you just want to get and you can get in over your head sometimes but it sure is fun. goodevil.gif

1938 PR67 CAMEO WALKER

Of all the proof Walking Liberty halves NGC has graded, there is (allegedly) only 1, a 1942 PF67 CAMEO. There are a reasonable number of star coins (three dozen plus), so my back of the envelope guess is that a lot of these have strong cameo (like Todd's) that falls just shy of NGC's CAMEO designation. That, and the possibility that NGC holds these coins to a particularly high standard.

For what it's worth (add four bucks and you can get a cup of fancy coffee), my guess would be the same as Greg's regarding incomplete cameo. Regardless of designation, Todd's coin is an awesome example!

Beijim

I received the coin today. The cameo is moderate, but nice and with clear contrast. Considering these come with no frost at all, this is a nice coin. The eye appeal is clearly exceptional.

The scratches are on the coin, but not as bad as the picture shows. When you rotate the coin the scratches are not visible frequently. The picture angle they took showed off the cameo the best, but the scratches the worst. It also shows off some spotting much worse than what is actually on the coin.

The interesting this about this coin is it is a "No FG" variety. The reverse by the eagle's wing (4:30) is missing the FG initials. I know that there are several MS dates without the FG and there is also the 1941 PF without the initials, but I don't know about the rarity of this date.

most all of the 1938 do not have the initals in fact if you get strong initals on the proof you have a rare coin.........lol

you got nothing special as per the way you describe the coin as that is how they usually come with the proofs

sincerely michael

ps. the monster cameo walker pcgs proof 67 i made also had the total absense of the designers initals on the reverse