• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My newest FE to the flock!

12 posts in this topic

Finally got my S8 variety!

NGC XF40

for those of you not familiar with that it is the 1857 that has the reverse clashed with a seated quarter.

VERY difficult to locate.

the pic is not the best but you can see it easily if you know what to look for.

170546-s8.JPG.f03d8792619f9c78a03ede06ddf2c9b5.JPG

Major congrats Goose! As you said that's a tough one to find in any condition.

Keith -- it's clashed with the eagle reverse of the quarter. PCGS forum member Lakesammman put a nice composite together that shows exactly where the clashes come from. The top image shows the FE clashes, the bottom image overlays the quarter: 1857 S8

Very cool! Thanks fo the link Shylock! i'd only read of this before and could not make it out without the aid of the overlay.

Congrats Goose!

Thanks! Hoot.

Very cool, goose3! grin.gif I can make out parts of the clash, but not all of it, I think it is simply the lighting in the image. Okay, I have to ask something that perhaps I should already know; are these double-denomination clashes considered to have happened in the normal course of mint operation, or, are they viewed as a piece de caprice? I would think the latter, but don't know.

rumor has it that the night watchman, Eckfeldt, may have had a part in the making of these that year!!!!!

by the way Tom, you are correct. I had one heck of a time trying to get the lighting "right" to capture the clash. Not an easy thing to bring out in a pic.