• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Posters on the PCGS give out poor information.

137 posts in this topic

I find it mildly amusing that the PCGS people keep complaining about this post, and one other critical of PCGS' boards, appearing on the first page, yet it is the PCGS people that keep bringing back to the front page!! The PCGS people don't want posts here complaining about the PCGS boards, yet it is the PCGS people that are bringing this post forward and complaining about their members, their members' posts and the boards overall. Hmmmmm.........Curious.

Their own self-fulfilling prophecy.

More PCGS people have trashed this place both over there and here than NGC posters trashed their place. Point out hte poor information some people give out over there and it is trashing. They call this place a wasteland and Sleepy Kingdom (showing they don't have a clue about this place) and elitest and it is not trashing. Interesting.

A high post count is absolutely no indicator of numismatic knowledge. Rule #1 at PCGS.

Just look at the number of times I've posted there to prove that. 893whatthe.gif

I resemble that remark.

Seriously, if somebody is giving out incorrect information, then why not correct it? If a forum isn't going in the direction people think it should, then why not post something they think should be there? Guiding the forum in the direction one would like might be successful, while complaining about the direction it's taking is not going to work. It just isn't. These forums are what we make them, and it's up to us to do our best to provide accurate and pertinent information.

I've seen threads across the street complaining about what's there, yet nearly every thread is about coins. It's just that the existing threads don't interest that person. So what's the best solution? Write a thread complaining about the state of the forum, or spending that time to post a thread that he would like to see? Often if there's not an interesting thread to read, it can be created by the person who would like to see it. Do that enough and the forum changes direction. It takes time, but like a ship at sea small course corrections produce big changes over time.

BushMan

Don't know what your problem is with Lucy but why do you have to belittle her here. I would bet if you spent the time to really read her post you would find she is one smart gal when it comes to Franklins and other areas of our hobby. She has fun on the boards as do myself and others.

To all

Does it matter what board you spend most of your time on? It should be fun and a great place to learn for all of us.I have a great time on both boards and after 40 years at the hobby I'm still learning every day. The information here and there are something you may never find anywhere else for free. grin.gif

Yes there will be misunderstandings. Yes thing will be said that upset us. I made an of myself here the other day over nothing because I lost site of why I'm here. Lets have fun at the hobby and look past things we don't like in life.

Those that have been at this as long as I have know just how special these boards are. There is something for everyone. I'm not PCGS and I'm not NGC. I'm a collector looking to learn and have a great time doing so. laugh.gif

Larry

Larry - you just scored an A+ in my book. 'Course I don't know that that means much.

I read all the forums - because I enjoy it. I post in all the forums - some more than others - but only if I have something to say I think may add to the discussion, to answer a question I feel I may have the answer to, or just to interact socially.

The plain truth of it is that there are more than a few postings on all these forums that probably should not be there. But they are and they always will be - it is human nature.

But you do not have to read them - you do not have to participate in them. And if you do so it is by your own choice so complaining about them serves little purpose as you can always ignore them. Most things when ignored tend to go away.

Everyone knows that the PCGS boards are full of junk posts now that are nothing but about toned Jeffersons, Franklin and Kennedy halves, many of which are just plain hideous. It is in large part due to a changing of the guard so to speak, where as Greg said, the best and most informative posters have all left or stopped posting as much due to being flooded out. If that is what everyone wants to discuss there fine, but I truly feel that is not the case. My only complaint ever with the few posters that control the boards there is that they inundate everyone with their opinions, read that again, OPINIONS, not facts. Shooting off at the mouth and throwing opinions out left and right to many who are newbies, who will only find out later that the coin collecting community in large does not revolve around their opinions and is much more concerned with true facts surrounding numismatics, can only hurt the prosperity of coin collecting in the future, albeit if it is only a few small people. I just suggest that everyone would take a minute and read a book or build a numismatic library so they can look up valuable and factual information before being so lazy as to just posting a hyperlink to some website that may or may not be skewed information.

Now as far as everyone torching Russ and Lucy, I have to say I absolutely have gotten into debates and arguments with both regarding their posts and OPINIONS previously, but it is utterly ridiculous to talk so ugly and bitter towards them, specifically Russ. We definitely don't see eye to eye, but from his posts that I have read, at least they contain enthusiasm and willingness to share his pictures and growing knowledge, not everyone can say the same.

Here is all that has been written in this thread by just one person. Where is all of the good coin knowledge that is alluded to by the people that post here. Maybe some should wake up and smell the coffee, if thats what you all smell in this thread. What follows is what one single person wrote. Thanks, Ken..

... I think there are several reasons. The main reason is that so many of the good forum members have gone away. Go back 6 months and look at those posts. Look at the names of the posters. Now look today. Do you see a lot of them? I don't. They've left for a variety of reasons. Some are here, some on NumisAddict, and some are gone. The few that stayed are drowned out by all the noise.

That noise is the posters that know very little. We can all name 10 of them that have high post counts/post per day, yet contribute nothing. MANY of them have no point of reference other than the events of last month. They weren't in the coin business before slabbing or saw the changes the grading services went thru, or saw the peak and collapse of the market and several areas of the market multiple times.

One thing I have noticed over there is someone will post something like "Need help with X" and the responses will be "Oh X, Y, & Z know about these. Maybe they can help". However, X, Y, Z rarely ever show up to help. Thinking back, X, Y, & Z haven't been posting much in a long time.

Why post good info over there only to have it buried under a ton of junk posts. Looking at the first page over there (20 threads) I see 3 posts on shows, 3 look at my coins/grade them, 1 submission result, 1 dealer bash, 2 ACG threads, & 1 Franklin thread. The fact that there are no Kennedy threads on the front page is a miracle. Page 2 is just as bad. 2 dealer bashes, 3 coin shows, I see some grade this, etc. Basically the same as page 1.What good coin info is there? Out of the first two pages, 40 threads, I see a grand total of 2 threads I would open and one I'm sure is junk, but it's got a catchy title.

Go post two threads over there. #1: Interesting historical information on X. #2: Dealer X screwed me. Thread 1 will be buried in a few hours. Thread 2 will get 200 posts in a matter of hours. I'd bet a thread on submission results or look at this eBay/ACG auction would get more posts than thread 1.

To point out to people who frequent both forums that the quality of information given out might not be as high as it should be. Shouldn't readers be informed that at the other site it is very likely that you will be given an incorrect answer? When a bunch of us were using the PCG$ & ICG site, we pointed out on the PCG$ forum how little content & correct answers were being given on that site. No different now.

Soon. Ive been very busy recently. I can play on the forums at work, but it's a little harder to work on my site while at work.

I hope to get some info on the site before Long Beach. I know I've got some interesting meetings with people at LB that have lots of info to tell me.

I think this post officially makes Jom a Hep Daddy.

Yeah Jom, you're so insensitive.

Seriously, no one bashed Franklins. Nothing but a joke.

I don't thinks so. Over there the percentage of either misinformation, OT, or not really helpful to the topic is probably 30%. I doubt 30% of the posts over here fall in those categories. The amount of WRONG information over there is rather high. Most of this info is coming from clueless newbies.

At 80 posts/hour I'm sure a lot of it would be newbie posts. However, the newbie posts seem to thrive over there. They are a different class of newbie posts. Over here the few newbies have been given info and moved on. Over there they stick around to debate why their polished 1881-S Morgan in XF didn't slab at PCGS and why dealers are trying to screw them by not offering him MS67 money for the coin

The NGC site seems to be more high brow posts about coins. Post something about die varieties over here and it will get responses from people who are educated in this area. Post it over on the PCGS or NumisAddict site and it would likely die a quick death.

The NumisAddict site seems very collector oriented. Lots of talk about collector coins. I don't want to say the anti-NGC site, but it is extremely different.

The PCGS site is filled with several different fractions of collectors. The "look at what coin I just purchased for my registry set". The people who are more concerned with how many points they will get from a purchase than the actual coin itself. I actually found it amazing about one of the people over there. He talked about crossing a coin over from NGC to PCGS to use in his registry. He mentioned that he accepted a one point grade drop by PCGS. This is a series where PCGS & NGC Bluesheet prices are virtually identical. This one point drop cost the guy about $1,000 (over 40%). He was happy because he can now put it in his registry set. Amazing!!

Then there are clueless newbies who couldn't buy a clue. The people who just like to bash dealers. The people who contribute nothing, yet post a hell of a lot. We don't have these types of people over here. I'm sure they will come here in the future, but for now this place is really nice and peaceful and full of info.

The easy answer is to stop posting there. Your posts are full of info and pictures of stunning coins that most of us could only hope to own even if we had the money to buy them.

Opinion = fact. Proof of wrong facts = you being an [!@#%^&^].

OT = Off Topic.

They would, but you'd probably never see it since you spend so much time over on the PCGS forum instead of here.

Sorry, I couldn't resist - I think you deserved it.

If that is true, then he really does belong over at the PCGS forums. He'll fit in perfectly there.

Sorry, I couldn't resist - I think you deserved it™This saying TradeMarked by Mark Feld (2003). For use of it, please contact the TradeMark holder directly.

I don't know how to sort using views and date, but I count a total of 33 threads with over 350 views. Of those I count 7 (21%) that are clearly about PCGS. I'm not counting the ones that are critical of PCGS slabbed coins, since I view those as threads about coins instead of plastic. Several of those 7 threads were made around the time of the David Hall uprising.

Of the remaining ones I see discussions on:

Artificial Toning

Designations

Pricing

Different Types of Coins (a varied list of different subjects)

Shows

Welcome Me Messages

Misc NGC Info

Unlike what some people across the street like to say, the focus here isn't all what is going on over there. There is a fair amount of discussion about what PCGS is doing here. However, the same is true across the street.

don't consider this a PCGS post. TomB would have posted it had the coin been in an NGC slab or ANACS slab. The fact that the coin was in a PCGS slab is immaterial. If any post on a coin in a PCGS is a PCGS post, then I would expect half the posts on this forum to be "about PCGS" and I would expect half on the other forum to be "about NGC" posts. You can't consider it a "PCGS post" just because the coin discussed is a PCGS slabbed coin.

A PCGS post.

Not necessarily a PCGS post. This is a pricing post. Sure it involves PCGS, but had the post been about NGC prices v. ANACS prices, I wouldn't call it an ANACS post.

A PCGS post.

OK

A PCGS post.

I started that post and it is NOT about PCGS. Someone thought it was a Bear post. It is about people buying plastic instead of coins. Nothing more. I also thought about linking a few other coins (PCGS & NGC) in this auction in a new thread. Those would have shown originally toned coins with a little info on the type of toning. I decided against it until the auction is over and I can see the coins in person. Would that have been a PCGS post if they were PCGS slabbed coins?

A PCGS post.

I wonder what the percentage of all the posts here are about PCGS. I bet a small percentage.

Yes, they read this forum. I've been told that by 2 people there.

The "Clique" over there has changed members. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that their forum gets flooded with the same few topics that a couple of rapid-fire posters are interested in. Also, several people who appeared close have stopped posting or are posting a lot less. Two members who used to post a lot and "held the forum together" have cut back on their posting by probably 90%.

Their own self-fulfilling prophecy.

More PCGS people have trashed this place both over there and here than NGC posters trashed their place. Point out hte poor information some people give out over there and it is trashing. They call this place a wasteland and Sleepy Kingdom (showing they don't have a clue about this place) and elitest and it is not trashing. Interesting.

I remember one person who I enjoyed reading their posts... I'm not sure if the things that have been happening over the past few months have caused this person to post less but I sure do miss that person's insight.

I am not a person with a wealth of knowledge but if I could answer a few questions here and there, It makes me feel I good that I can contribute. I have to admit, there are some posts that I see constantly that drive me up a wall, the same posts day in and day out, I bite my tongue more often than not.

From time to time I see a really great post that I am waiting to see the experts handle, I want to learn... and it's sad to see that question or post fall by the waste side because of the same posts day in and day out.

It would be great to see a real US COIN FORUM and another coin forum for people who want to chit chat all day "US OPEN COIN FORUM"??

I can't say that I "hate" anyone but I do get perturbed when I see the same people posting over and over, knocking threads down... just because they want to say "yeah, nice coin".

I Love you all (in a macho...manly kind of way) because everyone has something to add, something for me to learn.... AND IT'S NOT JUST THE BEER TALKING! (I'm kidding, I haven't been drinking)

Let's all go out and have some fun and get back to collecting coins smile.gif

-Dave goodevil.gif

It would be great to see a real US COIN FORUM and another coin forum for people who want to chit chat all day "US OPEN COIN FORUM"??

I can't say that I "hate" anyone but I do get perturbed when I see the same people posting over and over, knocking threads down... just because they want to say "yeah, nice coin".

Yea, verily.

Maybe having a Nielsen Ratings System implemented may work. Having 30 -50 are so active members drawn up randomly every month and rate their coin knowledge. No subtleties involved and straight forward whether you get a thumbs up or down. A favorable rating gets to stay in the US Coin Forum. An unfavorable one goes to the US Open Coin Forum.

Ok and your point is what,ksteelheader?

That he wanted to let everyone know he is a stalker?

You gentlemen asked these questions, I believe this gentleman answered it quite well!

Let's all go out and have some fun and get back to collecting coins.

Ken

Ken, I agree fun is what we are supposed have here. As long as its human beings that post to the coin forums, we will have threads like "milk bone underwear". Most of us are smart enough to know what threads we enjoy and don't enjoy. I don't see anything wrong with getting a little silly once in awhile. However the threads that are started intentionally to flame dealers, collectors or other entities should have their own forum, oops they already have the open forums. shocked.gif

Your childish responses Lucille, as anticipated, continue to make my point. As I said in my prior post, your BooBopABubblegum will be better served over there.

My only complaint ever with the few posters that control the boards there is that they inundate everyone with their opinions, read that again, OPINIONS, not facts. Shooting off at the mouth and throwing opinions out left and right to many who are newbies, who will only find out later that the coin collecting community in large does not revolve around their opinions

"Shooting off at the mouth" is a great way of putting it. Meaningful that you point out the opinion part, as there is very little CONTENT in most of their posts. Lack of content is what is driving people away.

• Administrator
Your childish responses Lucille, as anticipated, continue to make my point. As I said in my prior post, your BooBopABubblegum will be better served over there.

My only complaint ever with the few posters that control the boards there is that they inundate everyone with their opinions, read that again, OPINIONS, not facts. Shooting off at the mouth and throwing opinions out left and right to many who are newbies, who will only find out later that the coin collecting community in large does not revolve around their opinions

"Shooting off at the mouth" is a great way of putting it. Meaningful that you point out the opinion part, as there is very little CONTENT in most of their posts. Lack of content is what is driving people away.

This thread is no longer contributing to coin discussions here. It may have started as a general discussion of the content and temper of the two communities, but it has degenerated. Any further conversation on this topic needs to take place in the water cooler, or not at all as it is entirely off topic for this board.

Thank you.