• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Posters on the PCGS give out poor information.

137 posts in this topic

Ok, in the past I have made a few posts that were incorrect, then I was given good information, and I quickly revised my statements. As I peruse the PCGS forums, I notice that many of the new and semi new posters are giving out some seriously incorrect information, whether it be history or actual current events, some of the information is really bad. Many times a post will have a mix of good information, only to be buried with some serious wives tales. In addition, many dealers get blasted over non issues, only for the Hoodlums to jump in for the kill. I feel for the new collector now, since who is he/she to believe? On the NGC forum, I find the posters to be much more intellectual. CAN THIS BE EXPLAINED?

TRUTH rantpost.gif

dont know if I can explain it, but I have seen it as well.

There are a lot more posters over there, the boards move wicked fast! New posters especialy want to be a part, they want the high post counts, the want to be a known name. So to do this they post, they post what they "know", whether they have verified it is correct or not.

Over here it moves slower, very knowledgable people will post replies to questions, and if someone posts a wives tale, they will be corrected in a non-rude manner, since the threads dont move as fast and dont get as long as quickly there isnt any jumping on board a thread just to post to it. Since the good correct info will be near the top of a thread, the thread gets back onto a factual track right away.

I would say it has to do with the age of the posters, but I dont think that is it. I also read the comic forums here, where the age of the posters ranges even more than the coin forums. The info found there is very accurate, and any incorrect info is corrected fast. At the same time the threads move very fast, maybe not as fast as across the street, but still very quickly.

So in a nutshell, it is just the people that post here that make it the way it is grin.gif

I think there are several reasons. The main reason is that so many of the good forum members have gone away. Go back 6 months and look at those posts. Look at the names of the posters. Now look today. Do you see a lot of them? I don't. They've left for a variety of reasons. Some are here, some on NumisAddict, and some are gone. The few that stayed are drowned out by all the noise.

That noise is the posters that know very little. We can all name 10 of them that have high post counts/post per day, yet contribute nothing. MANY of them have no point of reference other than the events of last month. They weren't in the coin business before slabbing or saw the changes the grading services went thru, or saw the peak and collapse of the market and several areas of the market multiple times.

One thing I have noticed over there is someone will post something like "Need help with X" and the responses will be "Oh X, Y, & Z know about these. Maybe they can help". However, X, Y, Z rarely ever show up to help. Thinking back, X, Y, & Z haven't been posting much in a long time.

Why post good info over there only to have it buried under a ton of junk posts. Looking at the first page over there (20 threads) I see 3 posts on shows, 3 look at my coins/grade them, 1 submission result, 1 dealer bash, 2 ACG threads, & 1 Franklin thread. The fact that there are no Kennedy threads on the front page is a miracle. Page 2 is just as bad. 2 dealer bashes, 3 coin shows, I see some grade this, etc. Basically the same as page 1.What good coin info is there? Out of the first two pages, 40 threads, I see a grand total of 2 threads I would open and one I'm sure is junk, but it's got a catchy title.

Go post two threads over there. #1: Interesting historical information on X. #2: Dealer X screwed me. Thread 1 will be buried in a few hours. Thread 2 will get 200 posts in a matter of hours. I'd bet a thread on submission results or look at this eBay/ACG auction would get more posts than thread 1.

Truth, hopefully, you know that I think you'e an a-ok guy, in person, and on the forum.

But, why bother to start threads like this? If this board is superior, as you say (and I'm not going to take sides, either way), it seems there would be better/more interesting things to talk about, than that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Mark,

I asked a question, and received some interesting replies. I think that is what this forum is all about.

TRUTH

Truth, hopefully, you know that I think you'e an a-ok guy, in person, and on the forum.

But, why bother to start threads like this? If this board is superior, as you say (and I'm not going to take sides, either way), it seems there would be better/more interesting things to talk about, than that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

To point out to people who frequent both forums that the quality of information given out might not be as high as it should be. Shouldn't readers be informed that at the other site it is very likely that you will be given an incorrect answer? When a bunch of us were using the PCG$ & ICG site, we pointed out on the PCG$ forum how little content & correct answers were being given on that site. No different now.

To make everybody happy, I'll go over and post something really intriguing so there will be something interesting for you to read. 27_laughing.gif

Now for a really super topic,.....hmmmm.....I got it! I'll asked everyone there if they feel that PCg$ has screwed millions out of millions and turned many dealers into shysters by screwing many collectors and the true market values of many coins with their registry and poptop coins. 27_laughing.gif

Leo

Maybe the title of this thread should start with some instead of posters. For sure the quality of posts has went into the dumpster. If you want to smouch someones rear end then you are OK over there now.

Yesterday I had a PM session with Carol just trying to point out the very fact that has been brought up right here in this thread. As it stands right now, and I told her this, the fun and quality of posts for reading and learning from have vanished. Really I think the comments fell on deaf ears.

Thats my Rant on the demise of the Coin Board across the street. Heck the Registry Board has turned into a second BST Board also. All around right at the moment the place just Sucks.

Ken

Ok, in the past I have made a few posts that were incorrect, then I was given good information, and I quickly revised my statements. As I peruse the PCGS forums, I notice that many of the new and semi new posters are giving out some seriously incorrect information, whether it be history or actual current events, some of the information is really bad. Many times a post will have a mix of good information, only to be buried with some serious wives tales. In addition, many dealers get blasted over non issues, only for the Hoodlums to jump in for the kill. I feel for the new collector now, since who is he/she to believe? On the NGC forum, I find the posters to be much more intellectual. CAN THIS BE EXPLAINED?

TRUTH rantpost.gif

TRUTH- I see where you must have read the "Mormon Gold" Thread too...

I have never liked PCGS from the beginning!!!! I signed up and could never log in!!

So, I e-mailed cust-supt. They e-mailed me back and said "Well, what is it that your trying to do?" And all I asked them was "why cant I log on??"

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

mike

-------------------------

dont forget! collect proofsets!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Pat,

I must admit, when I read the Mormon gold post, some of the information was right on, especially with the Rust Coin link. But then people started to guess and conjure up information as it went along. I used to work for a dealer who sold mormon gold to Rust coin and know a bit about the coinage, especially when the coins are 'full thumb' strikes.When I visit Utah, I check out the dealers and usually a few mormon gold pieces are hanging about, mostly PCGS graded and mostly in VF condion, AU is very, very rare and UNCS are unheard of. However, this coinage is a super specialty and, in my opinion, cannot be just talked about off the top of one's head. By the way, what the heck is 'the penalty box'. Do you have to be put there to read the posts???????

TRUTH makepoint.gif

I still believe that the recent PCg$ to NGC mood swing involves the investors and getting the collectors to spend new money by changing their perspectives towards NGC to spend more money. Only to satisfy the investors. Does that make sense?

PCg$ has made just too many bonehead moves these past 5 months to make any logical sense out of it. I'm holding onto my money for awhile and keep with ANACS if I choose to have any more coins slabbed but I don't think that will be happening anytime soon. I know what quality of coins I like and rarely settle for less. They're just as good raw then if they were slabbed.

Leo makepoint.gif

Despite my frustration with PCGS policy, I have no qualm chatting with the collectors and dealers I respect on that board, this one, or Numisaddict. I post here more often now because I'd like to see this board grow, and because I appreciate the effort NGC is investing in it and in the community.

TRUTH- I'd sell most my collection and just own two or three (VF!) Mormon gold coins and be very content.

-The "Penalty Box" is a dark, gloomy place ARCH sends those who have stepped over the line (multiple times). I had to figure with you not posting upstairs for a couple of weeks (longer?) you were placed there!

Pat,

I've been in and out of UTAH for the last three weeks(house for sale there, interested in second home?). No time for writing in the water cooler until recently. But, how oh how could you dream I could ever wind up in a dark and dank place like the penalty box when I just left the dark and dank PCGS forum just a few months ago. I'm a good boy 893whatthe.gifmakepoint.gif

TRUTH

I don't open a lot of threads, but I try to read them pretty carefully when I do. Sure, I miss some good threads, but I miss most all the bad ones. It seems everyone has different things they want to get out of participation and different amounts they're able and willing to put in. They also participate in different types of threads. Yes, topics are still discussed in more depth and often more articulately here than across the street. Accuracy of statements is likely a little higher here also. There is more diversity in topics and more diversity of expression across the street. Since topics move more quickly the ideas come more quickly. I do spend a larger percentage of my time here in the last couple months than I used to, but my posting has not increased greatly.

I guess my point is that any site is what we make of it. ...and wherever interesting discussion of coins goes, many will follow.

On the NGC forum, I find the posters to be much more intellectual. CAN THIS BE EXPLAINED?

Yes. The posters on the NGC forum are much more intellectual.

27_laughing.gif

Beijim

Pat,

I've been in and out of UTAH for the last three weeks(house for sale there, interested in second home?). No time for writing in the water cooler until recently. But, how oh how could you dream I could ever wind up in a dark and dank place like the penalty box when I just left the dark and dank PCGS forum just a few months ago. I'm a good boy 893whatthe.gifmakepoint.gif

TRUTH

TRUTH- It's funny you should ask that. My wife converted to Mormonism about two years ago (we were married for the second time in the San Diego temple) but getting her to ever want to move to Utah would be out of the question! Personally, having gone to school there (BYU) I like it there. All four seasons- pretty decent people, and the economy isn't as tanked. My only concern was the over building of some of the smaller towns. Too many strip malls now.

The bigger question begs to be answered though: why move? I know you have several residences, but why not allow Utah to be a place to escape in the winter time? Skiing is great and the cold is a dry cold.

There has been a change in the general feel and quality on the CU in the past year. Dare I say it had taken on the demeanor of an AOL chat room at times. There are a lot of posters who want only to complain about dealers, the grades they received, how long it is taking for them to grade, ebay threads etc. There are many more posts of this type then there used to be. Maybe this is unavoidable as many new faces have shown up there, some of which have incredible knowledge. But at the same time the board is dominated by some posters who have a very limited knowledge and seem to derail every thread into a contest or see who can make the funniest comment about one of their buddies.

This is a fact you just have to accept, it isn't going to change. I posted the Larry Steve thread there in the Registry Forum and got not one response. Fortunately that was a good thing, because I had a bet with a fellow forum member that I wouldn't.

There is a lot of good people and information on both boards, let's be careful that an elitist attitude doesn't spring up here either by design or accident.

Truth,

Ain't that the truth! There are a few people over there that have absolutely NO clue what they're talking about, but post like they do, which can be very annoying at times.

dragon

There are knowledgable people who participate in all of the coin forums. There are also those who think they are knowledgable. But isn't that pretty much how it is with everything in life ?

Information & knowledge is meant to be shared. The same is true about opinions. And the differences in opinions make for some interesting discussions and that also contributes to the dissemination of knowledge.

The real problem is that there is a difference between opinions & facts - and not everybody can tell them apart.

This is an interesting thead. People over here seem to be more polite than people over there. I don't really understand why, but I would like to expand on the question.

The boards over here seem more polite than the boards over there, yet many of the same names are at both boards, so why are the same people over here more polite when they are here versus over there?

fcloud,

Unfortunately, I believe it is the 'mob rules' effect when on the PCGS forum. An informative post will go up, then it gets hijacked, then the mob joins in. Rather like the swamping of a lifeboat, you help a few, then everyone joins in, opinions and all, and the idea sinks to the bottom to die a merciless death. Over here, posters are patient people and think about the gist of the thread before posting. Better grammar and spelling also. So when the smart posters left the PCGS forum, the dregs stayed behind, although I notice frequently, that with not much to tear down, the mob doesn't join in as often. The posters who post here and on PCGS often have things to say, while the mobsters on PCGS might be outnumbered on the NGC forum, so they stay put on PCGS. A bully never likes to be outnumbered. Or could it be that NGC grades better and there are fewer whiner here? I wonder if anyone will do a social analysis of behavior on coin forums one day? makepoint.gif

TRUTH

The boards over here seem more polite than the boards over there, yet many of the same names are at both boards, so why are the same people over here more polite when they are here versus over there?

I would just like to address that by writing that even though many of the same names are on each board, not all of the names are on each board. In other words, which posters are different on the boards? If you determine that, then you might start to get an answer to your question.

By the way, I'm not bashing the PCGS board here, there are good posters on both boards. There is just more traffic, and the associated fluff, on the PCGS board.

I do alot more looking than responding than I used to. I will have to pay attention to see if the "mob" is part of the group that posts on both boards, but I think I know my answer.

The biggest difference I've noticed is that trolls can never get a foothold here. They leave because they rarely get a response. There seems to be a higher level of collecting maturity here, both in knowledge and breadth of interests.

Andy laugh.gif

I like both sides of the street. If we had 100+ people here I'm sure we would have some of the same stuff.

Larry, you've been over here for over a year and this was your second post?!

-To respond to your post though, there are over 1,700 members of Collectors Society. I've got to figure there is already 100+ Coin guys signed up.