• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Posters on the PCGS give out poor information.

137 posts in this topic

There are a zillion more negative comments made about PCGS and its members on their forums. Russ has been attacked many times over there. Take the battle to clean up the negative comments about PCGS and Russ over to the PCGS boards. According to Russ this board is Elitist, which is ok I wouldn't attack him for that comment, but at the same time let's not lose perspective. Counting how many times someone in here said something negative about PCGS is silly.

Pat, I'm sure you're right about the linked threads.

Irishmike, maybe it is a little silly. Insulting posts rub me the wrong way, particularly when the participants aren't here to speak for themselves. I've made that point.

I have to agree with Greg about my AT post being lumped into the "about PCGS" category. Upon my first glance at the posts with many views, I was quite happy to see my thread in the number one position as I try to write posts and start threads that are high in content and are also interesting. I also take great pain to be as objective as possible and I really don't care if the coin is in a PCGS, NGC, ICG or ANACS holder. The thread that I started had nothing to do with being in a PCGS holder and had everything to do with the probable manipulation of a coin that was pushing $10,000. In short, I just don't see any logical way that that thread could be considered a thread about PCGS.

• Administrator
Leo, I'm twice as smart as you think, cause there's one finger up on each hand. grin.gif

27_laughing.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893Funny-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

Don, I wasn't meaning to point fingers, certainly not at you. Like you I enjoy both boards and agree with you that it isn't an either or situation, reminds me sometimes of the Cubs vs White Sox arguement, i.e. you can't pull for both teams, you have to be one or the other. Unfortunately there are those of us on both boards that don't think the way you and I do. Sorry if you took offense.

BTW I pull for the Cubbies and the Sox. 893whatthe.gif

• Administrator
Please keep in mind too that some of those Threads were LINKED to the Coin Forum over at PCGS. This would cause many who are not members here to read that thread via the LINK.

I'm wrong on this if someone can tell me a Thread opened by a viewer who isn't registered does not tally? I can't imagine that would be the case though. No?

Threads opened by anon users should tally just like it does for registered users.

• Administrator
Thanks Tom. You and Braddick are a tremendous asset to any board you wish to post on. When I see you guys post I really slow down and take notice. Your some of the best.

I waited a day or so to comment and started to drop it but I don't wish to without setting it straight.

I didn't misunderstand Pat's post. Possibly it was made from a defensive minded position. An exclamation point at the end of a comment makes a powerful statement. I took it as "why are you posting now, you don't belong here".

As much as I liked your post Tom it gave Braddick an easy out for a flat out off color remark.

Now for the real truth. I should never have posted to this thread. For that I'm sorry. I was out of line. I'll go back to just reading. I seem to get in less trouble that way.

Larry

It does seem, sometimes, to be incredibly difficult to convey the whole "just kidding" thing in text - as well as many other emotions. It's one reason why I'm actually pretty partial to the graemlins available at the bottom of each post. They seem silly, but the right graemlins can really substantially change the way something reads.

For example:

Larry, you've been over here for over a year and this was your second post?! stooges.giftongue.gifwink.gifsmile.gif

I tend to look for threads where there's a bit of tension and try to think of whether the right graemlin would have made things go a little smoother. For instance, I added this one while reading this thread when I realized that perhaps people might like a bit more meaningful way to convey an apology:

sorry.gif

Anyway, I'm not trying to invalidate anyone's feelings on this matter, or to argue about how posts should or shouldn't be interpreted. I just wanted to point out that in SOME cases, a graemlin or two might go a long way toward conveying more specific meaning.

Regards,

Arch

TomB,

My apologies for mentioning your thread in this post. It was the number one thread in number of views, so I included it, but it was obviously a thread you would have posted for any holder, and I always find your posts fair, unbiased, and informative. I realize its reference to PCGS was coincidental. I was only observing the number of views threads about PCGS coins, boards, and posters receive, and it was coincidentally a PCGS coin.

Irishmike, thank you. wink.gif

For what it's worth, in my neck of the woods, baseball partisanship is rather extreme.

The genteel Mets fans have to suffer doubly under the arrogance of front-running neanderthal Yankees fans *and* incompetent baseball management.

The only times the two groups of fans were of like mind was to show anger at John Rocker, laugh at the entirety of the Boston Metro area (as well as Foxborough) and to demonstrate pride of place during and after 9/11.

EVP

There's absolutely no need for an apology, Don. I have never questioned your integrity. I only wanted to clarify what I thought was a mis-characterization of a thread I had authored and to give those who might not be familiar with me an opportunity to understand how I think when I write.

EVP, I agree with you completely! Most fans of the NY baseball teams, in my experience, are rabid fans for one team and mightily dislike the other team. Those who claim to equally like both teams are usually dismissed as not serious fans.

I find very little bashing of this board over at PCGS. I do find almost a fixation in belittleing the PCGS board and the posters in threads over here. There is a holier than thou attitude here which is totally bogus. There are good and bad threads at both places. Lets leave it at that!

Gentleman, I'm sure you have your valid reasons for wanting to defend this fellow that posts over 10,500 times in just 13 months. Yet, look at some these comments

"

I posted over there a few times. Haven't been back for a while, don't plan on it. I'm not good enough for that elite neighborhood since I don't collect "real" coins, so I'll just stay right here in the slums. This place may not be perfect, but it isn't a gated community.

Russ, NCNE "

Then he posts the picture of one of his Morgans to a post asking for grades. After the coin's grade is posted, he comes back and insults those that provided the help with this comment, "

Reading through that thread, it becomes very obvious who knows their stuff, who is trying but still learning, and who is just plain full of [!@#%^&^].

My guess was MS64, and I was off by a point. Congrats to those who nailed it at MS65!"

Nine posters have the grade correct and 26 posters have the grade wrong. This from pictures. He is the only one with the coin in his hands for inspection and he gets it wrong! Then he turns around and labels the 26 posters that joined him in being wrong, "full of [!@#%^&^]"??

I don't know gentleman, I'm glad he feels these boards are an "elite neighborhood" and has decided to stay on those boards. His idea of beneficial help for other members of our hobby, is something I don't wish for these boards!

That's the same post that gave me a bad impression of him. It may not be represenative of him, but it certainly soured his image for me.

I don't know Russ except from his posts on the message boards, and that is fine with me. (I can't know everyone, and this isn't meant as a knock against anyone.)

Moreover, I don't expect Russ to be perfect. He may be a fine person or a rotten person. Nevertheless, I don't find it appropriate to knock him for the reasons others have given earlier, that is that his posts are quantitively rich but qualitatively poor.

And, even if Russ's behavior is less than desired, does this mean that we should also be of poor behavior?

EVP

I have always enjoyed Russ's posts. Can I use three S's?...

There were several posts in the past year about people who have posted on the PCGS board and they were dissatisfied because they felt they could not become a part of the PCGS "Clique" (sp?) It's kind of ironic to hear that NGC is now known as a place with an "Elitist" attitude. My advice to those who feel that way... Grow Thick Skin!

-Dave

There were several posts in the past year about people who have posted on the PCGS board and they were dissatisfied because they felt they could not become a part of the PCGS "Clique" (sp?) It's kind of ironic to hear that NGC is now known as a place with an "Elitist" attitude. My advice to those who feel that way... Grow Thick Skin!

The "Clique" over there has changed members. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that their forum gets flooded with the same few topics that a couple of rapid-fire posters are interested in. Also, several people who appeared close have stopped posting or are posting a lot less. Two members who used to post a lot and "held the forum together" have cut back on their posting by probably 90%.

TRUTH,

You may or may not remember this but well over a year ago, I posted a thread on the CU board entitled "Why are there so many unnecessary posts on this board?"

In it, I complained about all the useless dribble that was being posted that had nothing to do with coins, or even worse, that kept threads alive repeating the same information again and again and again. There were over 150 replies if memory serves and I don't recall any thread in which the author took such a beating. Only RegistryCoin passively agreed with the comments I made. Almost everyone else took shots claiming "it is a family atmosphere", "it's more than just about coins", etc., etc., basically telling me what a jerk I was being. Dog was actually pretty nice cracking me up with some jokes.

Mind you, this was around the so called time that the place was supposedly a great bastion of coin knowledge. Well now, I think it is worse, but in retrospect, I think it was a function of volume rather than because of the members that are/were there.

When there wasn't THAT many members, it was much easier for the collective members to run a thread, or it's like, off the boards. Today, it is almost impossible as you can't even keep up with all the posts in just the US Coin Forum alone if it were your full time job.

Do any of us really think that these boards would be any different if there were the same amount of posts as there are over there?

Just my opinions.

Baseball,

I would agree with volume lowering the quality content on the forums. And I must say, there has been a SIGNIFICANT change to the PCGS forum over the last month or two. I guess when something is good, everybody wants in, when something is small, people tend to say away. Yet quality is hard to find, and in the coin hobby, quality means knowlege, experience, expertise.

TRUTH

The "Clique" over there has changed members. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that their forum gets flooded with the same few topics that a couple of rapid-fire posters are interested in. Also, several people who appeared close have stopped posting or are posting a lot less. Two members who used to post a lot and "held the forum together" have cut back on their posting by probably 90%.

Hard to have much respect for posters over there that tolerate the rude behavior, bullying tactics and name calling exhibited by the 13-month collector that leads the "Clique". Thank goodness for the quality of information available here.

I disagree. As with anything else, when you get several hundred people together and share opinions and perspectives on any topic, you are going to get varying degrees of experience and opinion.

I do think that the positives far outway the negatives and nobody is going to alter human nature.

I find both sites to be more similar than different and enjoy both.

Hard to have much respect for posters over there that tolerate the rude behavior, bullying tactics and name calling exhibited by the 13-month collector that leads the "Clique". Thank goodness for the quality of information available here.

Hey BushMan,

What is it with you that you seem to need to single Russ out? I frequent the CU boards -- perhaps even more so than here -- and run across Russ' posts pretty often. In general, I do not see Russ exhibiting the kind of behavior to which you've attributed him. It may be that there is a post or two by him that may be (mis)construed as the above, but a couple of posts don't account for much over 10,500 posts! I don't seek out his posts, so I don't know how he is in total, but I will say that I've never had cause to think he is what you say he is.

Personally, I think what you're doing here against Russ is much more like what you're accusing him of being!

frown.gif

By now, you may be upset with me, but I'll offer a bit of unsolicited advice anyway: I think it's best that we each worry about our own behavior before we so cavalierly and casually bring others to task for theirs...

EVP

The 'US Coins' forum over at PCGS has gone downhill in a big way in the past year or so, like the blind leading the blind IMO. There are about 2 dozen people that post there regularly now that shouldn't even be allowed to own a PC or have internet access IMO, much less be able to post in a public forum. In fact, it is amazing that some of them actually have the dexterity and motor skills needed to use a keyboard.

No,,,,wait,,,,really, do you think my 75 cent coin is AT'd??

But seriously,,,did I get a good deal on this coin off of Ebay??

Hey!! Wanna see my latest proof state quarter submission results???

Hey,,,I'm serious now,,,, can someone please give me the PCGS pop. for a 2002-P Lincoln cent in MS62??

No,,,,wait,,,,really, do you think my 75 cent coin is AT'd??

But seriously,,,did I get a good deal on this coin off of Ebay??

Hey!! Wanna see my latest proof state quarter submission results???

Let us not forget the BooBopABubblegum! Ya that coin is nice, but just look at MY coin. Isn't it better? It's all about ME, isn't it?

I find it mildly amusing that the PCGS people keep complaining about this post, and one other critical of PCGS' boards, appearing on the first page, yet it is the PCGS people that keep bringing back to the front page!! The PCGS people don't want posts here complaining about the PCGS boards, yet it is the PCGS people that are bringing this post forward and complaining about their members, their members' posts and the boards overall. Hmmmmm.........Curious.