• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver

13 posts in this topic

I went to my local coin shop this morning to see what new goodies have come in the last couple of weeks. When I walked in the owner was completing a purchase of silver from a customer. The customer had brought in a whole pile of 5 and 10 ounce silver bars and had 7 100 ounce silver bars. After this sale had been completed I watched 3 other people bring in everything from junk silver coins to silverware and service sets. At over $10.50 and ounce it looks like silver is starting to come out of the woodwork again...

theo004overall25ll.jpg

Found silver pocket knife 26 years ago.

Your post immediately took me back to the silver prices of the early 1980s. I was no more than a look in the pocket change collector at the time, however I still have a few silver coins I managed to hold on to since then.

I also have a silver handled pocket knife which I found in the fall of 1979 while renovating some office space for my at the time new business. There were some old uniforms piled in the corner of the back room and I searched all the pockets before throwing them in the trash. To this day I have no idea where this originated from.

I've got some silver eagles (duplicates), some "common date" low grade morgans, 1964 kennedys and the like that I want to sell to get enough money to buy a roll of '06 eagles. Should I go down to the local coin shop and maybe get melt for all of them or should I sell them inone big lot on eBay and maybe even get some antiquity value on the coins? Melt on 'em is about $115.

I've got some silver eagles (duplicates), some "common date" low grade morgans, 1964 kennedys and the like that I want to sell to get enough money to buy a roll of '06 eagles. Should I go down to the local coin shop and maybe get melt for all of them or should I sell them inone big lot on eBay and maybe even get some antiquity value on the coins? Melt on 'em is about $115.

I think that depends on what you want.

Are you a speculator, investor, or collector?

Or maybe all three? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

theo004overall25ll.jpg

Found silver pocket knife 26 years ago.

Your post immediately took me back to the silver prices of the early 1980s. I was no more than a look in the pocket change collector at the time, however I still have a few silver coins I managed to hold on to since then.

I also have a silver handled pocket knife which I found in the fall of 1979 while renovating some office space for my at the time new business. There were some old uniforms piled in the corner of the back room and I searched all the pockets before throwing them in the trash. To this day I have no idea where this originated from.

Spider, that's quite a neat find. What info is stamped at the base of the lower blade?

Chris

I think that depends on what you want.

Are you a speculator, investor, or collector?

Or maybe all three? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Right now, I'm more of an investor than a collector. As far as these coins go, I don't need them and I want that roll of Eagles!

Always does, but remember the price in February, 1980?

I've recently ( maybe 6 months ago) got into buying Silver.... Its like a Roller Coaster...

I've it goes back down to where it was in 82, I'll buy as much as I can get my hands on and when it tripples again from that price, I might sell a bunch to pay off debts...

Always does, but remember the price in February, 1980?

I sure do!! Because I let myself get suckered into buying into that late 1970's - early '80's Hunt Bros. fiasco, I got burned and ended up dropping out of (coin) collecting for over 20 yrs. afterwards!! mad.gif