• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PEACEGATE: Are you afraid to sell coins to certain people?

11 posts in this topic

Well, with all the fuss over Peacegate, it now makes me very aware that certain part time dealers are to be avoided. If you sell a coin and the dealer/collector whines and cries on the forum, does this intimidate you? Are you less likely to sell rare or colored coins to certain people in fear that your name or business or home location might be front page forum news? Even with ebay, I have seen collectors and dealers unhesitantly lambaste sellers for little or no reason. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

no not for me no worries for me at all cloud9.gif

i rarely if ever sell unless i need $$$ like for my orphan kids i am supporting and if i ever sell one of my NOT REPLACEABLE 893whatthe.gif monsters hail.gif i am doing the person a favor to offer it first to them and they will thank me profusely as they will get a one of a kind priceless item for a great value

a coin that would make grown men weep blush.gif

once it is gone there are no more others and i cant replace it myself

but i am the exception rather then the rule hi.gif

that slock ie. peace dollar that had for me negative eye appeal 893naughty-thumb.gif and a common coin flamed.gif with a million dollar story 27_laughing.gif

is actually quite insulting to any advanced collectors intelligence

devil.gif

If you sell a coin and the dealer/collector whines and cries on the forum, does this intimidate you?

Maybe "intimidate" is the wrong word; "annoying" and "bothersome" work better for me. I have little patience for dealers/collectors who fault others for their own bad decisions. When I buy, I own every mistake that I make. And, when I sell -- which isn't often -- I'll only deal with people who have the same attitude.

There are mean spirited, angry people everywhere. Sadly, people forget that we all start somewhere in our collections and it isn't at the top. While someone may be looking down at my collection or what I think may be a nice coin, I pray that whan I have put three daughters through college and have all that disposable income to go to the next level, that I don't forget where I came from and become snotty and hard nosed towards others and instead am helpful and open-minded.

Yes, it may be the "Hobby of Kings" but it is also a hobby that takes intense learning and experience and I seriously doubt I will ever KNOW IT ALL. So, I am happy in my little nitch right now. If I came across a snotty, crummy dealer like that, I wouldn't do business with them. I don't sell coins much at all, I tend to hoard and pass the extra's to my children, but there is one dealer I deal with and they will stay open until past closing to share their wealth of knowledge and talent. I've seen the most gorgeous example of some morgan's that some here will never come close to that they got a hold of fifty years ago, that's a true collector. Sharing and enjoying, not griping, being snobbish and complaining, that's what the hobby should be about. smile.gif

Great post, Shanon! There are some great people in the hobby but I've also encounted my share of snots!

I don't sell coins. To the point-- an number of collectors and dealers sitting outside the ANR Auction at Balt. commented it was foolish, and they will never, post any toned coin for sale online.. It just invites misrepresentation over picture quality and the AT/NT disputes.

Nope. I offer a return privilege, so if the buyer is not happy, they can return it. If the return period has expired, that's not my problem.

And I've never hidden my name of business address on the forums or anywhere.

Nope. I offer a return privilege, so if the buyer is not happy, they can return it. If the return period has expired, that's not my problem.

And I've never hidden my name of business address on the forums or anywhere.

How about posting an image of you reading a book on your ebay pages, kinda like that Bluemoon coin dude? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH