• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tom B and CTcollector

28 posts in this topic

Hello Folks----Last Tuesday I went to Baltimore with my wife, Barb, to meet CTcollector. CT and I had been talking for quite some time on the chat boards. And, since we had started the "What You Need To Know Thread", we both had felt that is was a good idea to finally meet in person. CT was coming down to Balto. for the ANR auction so, although I truly do hate the cities---any city---I agreed to meet him for lunch. At 59, I seem to be one of the older folks on these boards. CT---in his late 30's---seemed sooooo young. Yet, I could tell there was a true coin lover by the way that he talked. Sure, he had been through the coin wars already. But he was still standing---bright young man and full of energy. He kept apologizing to Barb and I because we had to walk so far. I felt a little old. But I knew that, in CT, there was not only the future of coin collecting----but the future of America. He has a wife and two young girls----yep---the future of America. Still learning----both of us together---a generation apart---yet we had a bond. Both of us enjoyed our coins and we want to help others to be better Numismatists. I thought that life isn't so bad when you can have the likes of CT take the coin mantle upon his shoulders.

Then, on Friday, I was to meet Tom B at the show. As events transpired, Tom was able to come to my home and spend Saturday night instead. And, because I didn't have to travel, I was elated. Many of you probably wonder why supertooth didn't want to go to the show? It is only because what I collect is never at any show. I have walked many bourse floors only to go home empty handed with money in my pockets---and a son shaking his head. But we must talk a little about Tom B. Another young one with wife and two little girls. Yes, IGWT, I am thinking of you too. You would be the third in this trio.

But Tom B made my weekend. A super educated young man. Extremely knowledgable---with a sense of humor. Again, I think that America is indeed in good hands as my generation passes on. But, what tickled me the most was Tom B's enthusiasm about my Walkers. Like a kid in a candy shop he picked up one after the other----many times saying 'Wow, look at that' as if it was some prize out of a cracker jack box from years ago. For me, it was wonderful to know that the knowledgable collectors of today still do appreciate an original skinned coin when they see one. And Tom B was as a kid at Christmas----soooo many to look at all at once. Hours marched on and they went by very fast. My son, David [age 30], came up from his house and Tom showed us the coins that he had brought with him---including his show purchases---yes, michael---a lovely 1830 half-dime. I think that Tom did not regret the time with me and I felt a great mutual respect between us. It was easy to see why he is so well respected. In the end, I think we both benefited from each others knowledge. All of us are still learning afterall. Well, I could go on, but I think that all of you can get a flavor for our weekend. Thanks to CTcollector and Tom B. Bob [supertooth]

Sounds like a wonderful time Bob......I won't put myself in with the likes of Tom as far as collections or knowledge and I don't know CT Collector but as a 30 something with 2 girls as well........maybe I could be the 4th musketeer..... 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I hope to get to see your Walkers one of these days if you ever make it to FUN thumbsup2.gif

Well with all these young girls running around, my 2 young boys should make out a-ok. grin.gif

Sounds like you had a very enjoyable week Bob.

Well with all these young girls running around, my 2 young boys should make out a-ok.

sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

We'll have to check out their collecting credentials before they're allowed through the front door. 27_laughing.gif

There certainly seems to be a high percentage of collectors who have two daughters. Sounds like you all had a great time in the big city!

great thread

thumbsup2.gif

and that 1830 i saw it myself and it was a monster thumbsup2.gif finest capped bust original half dime monster rainbow target toned both sides hail.gif

never on any dealers table or at any show or in any auction i see it came out of an original collection 893applaud-thumb.gif

wild cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

i am glad you aND TOMB had some time to talk coinage and have some good eats

tom is a really good man and he looks like he is 29 and he is really a great sport also

There certainly seems to be a high percentage of collectors who have two daughters. Sounds like you all had a great time in the big city!

I'm just a wannabe collector. I just have one daughter. blush.gif

Yep, I just have one daughter, too. Guess that makes me just half the collector as those other guys. grin.gif

At 59, I seem to be one of the older folks on these boards. Bob [supertooth]

Heck, Bob, at 58 I'm right behind you, but don't worry, we're both in good company here!

Chris

Yep, I just have one daughter, too. Guess that makes me just half the collector as those other guys. grin.gif

I wonder what that makes me? I have a son and a daughter 17 years apart.

Chris

Well with all these young girls running around, my 2 young boys should make out a-ok. grin.gif

Sounds like you had a very enjoyable week Bob.

Not with my two daughters. sumo.gif

smile.gif

Hoot

Heck, Bob, at 58 I'm right behind you, but don't worry, we're both in good company here!

Chris

Wow Chris......I thought you were in your mid-60's.... 893whatthe.gif

poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Chris

poke2.gif

Actually, I meant to say that some of them are good company.

Chris

Chris

poke2.gif

Since we've never met face to face, I thought that you were in your mid-teens! shy.gif

Bob - thanks for the kind words and for making me feel young. It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife also. It was fun talking up coins. Yo seem to be the "HUB" for some of the good guys in the hobby. Keep up the great work !

I now agree with you that Baltimore (outside of the inner harbor) is creepy. Not how I remember it. Also - thanks on the tips for the Ground Hog eradication - my wife's jaw hit the ground when I mentioned your method. Too bad for her, I need to get rid of those guys.

Man! I have no kids and I'm not old, I suck at coin collecting!!! Looks like I better find a new hobby, maybe I should start hangin' out in the comic forum! foreheadslap.gif

Man! I have no kids and I'm not old, I suck at coin collecting!!! Looks like I better find a new hobby, maybe I should start hangin' out in the comic forum! foreheadslap.gif

No, what you have to do is start looking at things in a positive way. Today, you can't mortgage your home and have enough money to pay for a child's college education; gone is the day when you could buy a pair of Chuck Taylor Converse All-Stars for $10; now, the kids have to have $150 Air Jordans; as far as coin collecting is concerned (you did say collecting, not dealing) as long as you like the coins you buy, that is all that matters. Don't let the little things get you down. You'll always be second-guessing yourself so just go with the flow.

Chris

Man! I have no kids and I'm not old, I suck at coin collecting!!!

You could adopt me and Hayden flowerred.gif

Ok, but you have to live in your parents house, and eat their food, and they have to pay your allowance! If that works, consider yourselves adopted.

Man! I have no kids and I'm not old, I suck at coin collecting!!!

You could adopt me and Hayden flowerred.gif

Ok, but they have to pay your allowance!

I got cut off after I got a paper route. Now i'm forced to buy and sell coins on Ebay for money. It's a hard existence but I scrape by sorry.gif

Of course I guess it's better than the kids that go and detassle corn in the summer 27_laughing.gif

Great Post guys and Glad to see you had a great weekend. By the way now I don't know where I fit in since I am 56 with 3 sons. Two Married and One just about engaged but all those girls you guys have, maybe I should collect something else having no girls. Wait I have 2 Granddaughters does that count?

Ken

Papag

Great Post guys and Glad to see you had a great weekend. By the way now I don't know where I fit in since I am 56 with 3 sons. Two Married and One just about engaged but all those girls you guys have, maybe I should collect something else having no girls. Wait I have 2 Granddaughters does that count?

Ken

Papag

Since you only have granddaughters, you have to collect moderns. 893whatthe.gif