• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uh oh. ANR commems, no so good.

4 posts in this topic

I did a cursory review of the Jewel commems which sold tonight at the ANR auction in Baltimore. Out of 175 lots, 131 sold, or 75%. These coins were the straight forward commems and not the countermarked coins or medals. Most of the commems sold for at market, or a tad below. The ultra high grade top pops performed well. However, some of the top pops were sold at a slight profit for the consignor, while a few went for ga-ga money. Not impressive. In addition, the following commems of the sale did very poorly. Of 99 lots offered, 38 sold, or 38%. These coins were generic commems in all grades, with only a few lots that performed very well, such as the '39 oregon set which sold for $48K hammer.

TRUTH

This doesn't surprise me. Based on the pictures I looked thru, many of the coins seemed very generic, average at best, and maxxed out. There were several that had very neutral looks to them and others that based on the marks I could see, I think are in their final resting place.

Nothing really jumped out at me as being special and non-special commems have been dead for a while.

Like Truth I did a cursory search at the sale--but in my case I watched the dealers.Generally they seemed wiped out from the earlier night's monster bust etc coins at record levels--even in afternoon Laura Sperber (Legend) fell asleep for awhile sitting!!. By the time they dragged thru gold which everybody had customers to sell to (if unmolested)--most dealers were exhausted.--A few coins did sell big and were super-- and the 75% Jewell sale thru--- verses 35% for the other stuff-- maybe shows part of the problem with fatigue from too many auctions. cloud9.gif

It's a buyers market for those "non-special" commems for those of us who enjoy collecting them. Here's one I got from ANR just today. Looks like it's got a lot of nice luster, and some gentle - if slightly strange toning - graded MS 65.

M2512.jpg