• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any thoughts on the new $20?

27 posts in this topic

Here is a link to the BEP release on the new colored $20 bill New $20 Any thoughts on this? Personally, I don't like it so much, the lack of the portrait frame makes it look to foreign, as does the color. The only question I have is if this is a series 2004 bill, how will it be in our wallets in late 2003?

Much better with the color. Still needs a lot of work. Perhaps something other than a dead presdent?

I don't know what the reverse yellow spots are.

A much better looking note than the current series. I like the obverse a fair bit, but I think the same significant thought should go into the reverse. I like the color.

Now, if the BEP will only stop printing $1 notes... smirk.gif

Hoot

Here is a link to the BEP release on the new colored $20 bill New $20 Any thoughts on this? Personally, I don't like it so much, the lack of the portrait frame makes it look to foreign, as does the color. The only question I have is if this is a series 2004 bill, how will it be in our wallets in late 2003?

it looks like a damn pound note! 893whatthe.gif893frustrated.gifinsane.gifrantpost.gif

I think it looks ok! It could use a little of something ( but I'm not sure what ).

Change is never accepted well!!! And thats the way our society is.

mike

----------------

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Nice looking note. It looks pretty fresh. It was time for the change, and I like the color.

Didn't they just make a major change 5 years ago? It was pretty much the same for 70 years before that, and now we need a change every 5 years???

I don't know what the reverse yellow spots are.

The yellow spots on the back are the number 20.

Personally, my favorite design for the small 20 was the pre-1950 series, but my all time favorite was the series 1914, Grover Cleveland on the $20 was pretty cool!

Counterfeiting!!!! Hey, did I spell that right??

Any way, Articles that I'v read all state the same about new bills. They are made to stop people from makeing fake ones!!!

mike

--------------------

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

My favorite $20 was the 1905 Gold Cert. I think it was the most beautiful note the BEP ever produced.

As far as this new $20. I just don't like it. Jackson looks to me like his head is to big for his body. Although I think it is just his lapels. The green color on the ends is OK but they used that over 125 years ago!! The yellow 20's on the back make the note look like it is developing what collectors call foxing!!!

I might change my mind when I can see a real note and not just a photo!! But I will just continue collecting the old stuff!!!!

I'm not impressed one way or another. It is just a variation on the same old theme. I'd love to see some bold and brash new designs for currency. Ours is so BORING. And adding some colors and making a few layout mods does not cut it.

Again, I will state: Change is just not accepted!!!!!!!!

mike

-------------------

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I think it is a good change but my problem is we did this five years ago. The major diffrence between our paper money and our coinage is our paper money is used alot overseas and there will be three diffrent types of $20.00 in circulation. Will it be accepted and with all the changes I'm afraid conterfiters will be having a field day with this. This is the same reason I don't think a major overhal of the paper money design would be a good idea. CHRIS

If it helps thwart counterfeiters. I remember a trip to Shanghai a few years ago, before the large portrait change. When I purchased some Remem-B, the Clerks at the Westin Hotel were going over my $100. US bills with a magnifying glass. Apparently, there was more counterfeit US $100's in circulation in Asia than genuine bills.

Besides, I have always thought that most European Currency was much more artistic and interesting than our currency.

I can live with the front, but the back is kinda boring.

I always thought the backs should have some pics of our natural landmarks (Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons,etc) with some man made ones thrown in (Rushmore, Sears Tower,etc); tired of the related to Washington DC /founding father theme on the backs.

• Administrator
I think it is a good change but my problem is we did this five years ago. The major diffrence between our paper money and our coinage is our paper money is used alot overseas and there will be three diffrent types of $20.00 in circulation. Will it be accepted and with all the changes I'm afraid conterfiters will be having a field day with this. This is the same reason I don't think a major overhal of the paper money design would be a good idea. CHRIS

Interesting point. I wonder what effect, however minor, the stability of our money designs has had on the value of our currency. There's perhaps something psychological at play there...

I think it looks ok! It could use a little of something ( but I'm not sure what ).

Mike, how about a couple of extra zeros on the twenty and have it in your pocket... acclaim.gif

Truly one of the worst written articles I've ever read Arch. CNN should be ashamed of such uninformed drivel and prejudicial horsepucky.

Hoot

• Administrator
Truly one of the worst written articles I've ever read Arch. CNN should be ashamed of such uninformed drivel and prejudicial horsepucky.

Hoot

Yah, it didn't seem like a very thoughtful article. It was interesting, though, in that it's part of mainstream views, I guess, and as such seems worth keeping tabs on. (shrug)

Hoot, you must not be a regular reader/watcher of CNN. They do nothing other than promote uninformed drivel and prejudicial horsepucky. I believe that is their motto. smile.gif

The SBA was a failure because it looked like a quarter. The Sacagawea is not a failure as a coin. It is unused because the public prefers its alternative, the paper dollar. The Sacagawea would be a smashing success if you removed the paper dollar from circulation. Failure is all about how you look at it.

Other failures would include the Kennedy half. The number of these that have truly circulated is probably less than 1%. Peace dollars could be considered a failure. Ikes were a total failure. You could also call the 20¢ piece a failure. It looked too much like a quarter and was unwanted by the public. The list goes on and on.

Yeah, I confess to not watching CNN or reading their news much. I'm just not a news-oriented person, but when I am, it's usually PBS world news stuff.

I particularly liked these comments in the CNN article:

This time, it honored the Shoshone woman with the difficult name...

Only for the illiterate.

To distinguish it from other coins, the piece has a brass-colored coating – which rubs off with even minimal handling.

lol!!! What a insufficiently_thoughtful_person!

I did, however, have a friend recently insist that the Sac looks and feels like a quarter. I only replied that he must not have discriminating visual or tactile resolution. He thought I was being the [!@#%^&^] I usually am.

Speaking of the $2 bill: The bill is so obscure that the Treasury Department's Web site contains an explanation to remind us that it is official U.S. currency...

Another great joke set upon the writer of the article (by none other than himself)! Granted, the $2 bill may not circulate much today or since it's reintroduction in 1976, but it has circulated for the majority of time that federal currency has circulated and was common not-so-many years ago. This fellow must not get out much.

I guess the article reflects some of the common misperceptions that the wandering public has about our money. Sad.

Hoot

Mike, how about a couple of extra zeros on the twenty and have it in your pocket... acclaim.gif

Thats what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike

---------------------

dont forget! collect proof sets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

That CNN article could have been written by a 12-year-old. insane.gif

Speaking of unpopular coins, today I spent about $5 in halves: at McDonalds, for parking at the beach, and at the Post Office. At all three places, I was looked at like I had two heads, and they frowned at the disks as they tried to find a place for them in the drawer.

Heck, you'd think the Post Office would be most accomodating of stange coins, seeing all the SBA's their machines spit back at us. shocked.gif

The lady at the parking booth actually looked at the big coins and said "oh... shoot!". These reactions make me not want to use the coins.

Speaking of $2 bills, they make good tips when you're traveling. They really make the bellhops and car fetchers grin. grin.gif

good point about the overseas bit, Chris. Personally, I don't like the design. Looks too fake to me. I liked the older versions of Mercedes Benz too. Oh well...