• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A brass coin

8 posts in this topic

Here is a small brass coin I got many years ago. It is the only one I've ever seen (maybe because the KM value is so low that no dealers bother to stock it).

It just appeals to me for some reason. Does anyone know what kind of a plant is shown on it?

It is a 1950 1 centimo coin from Paraguay.

166254-Tmp45a.jpg.2fadfc31280e122cb41d0b49a2db316d.jpg

The Standard Catalog of World Coins (Krause) just describes it as "flower". Maybe someone at your local flower shop or garden center can tell you what it is. tongue.gif

I don't know what the plant is, however, there is a known doubled die obverse and reverse for this denomination from this year. You may want to take a close look at it.

The flower looks somewhat akin to a Magnolia blossom. There are many varieties, but any number of them present with the type of petal arrangement depicted and the staminate arrangement in the center.

Attached is a painting of a western magnolia.

Hoot

589a8ae5aee32_167925-Magnoliablossom.jpg.b35cb1a8af66bf0c739f063cac35c37a.jpg

Rublevik, sorry I don't know anything about that coin, but it's good to see you! I've been away from this forum for 9 months, but finally was able to get logged back on.

cool.gif