• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Unslabbing"

28 posts in this topic

Most slabs you put in a vise...grab the edges furthest away from the actual coin, then just give it a half a twist more and that will crack the seal. You can probably get a pretty clean split right along the seam in most cases. If you search a bit, you may find a picture thread of the procedure here on this site....I remember seeing somthing to this effect about a month ago.

Goof luck.

I've been using a hammer to crack open all slabs. It isn't necessarily the most elegant way, but I've yet to find a slab that could withstand a good smack across it edgewise. Just beware of the unidentified flying plastic makepoint.gif.

James

Never had any reason to crack it open... I was just curious as to whether it was even possible without damaging the contents. Thanks to all who replied.

I've been using a hammer to crack open all slabs. It isn't necessarily the most elegant way, but I've yet to find a slab that could withstand a good smack across it edgewise. Just beware of the unidentified flying plastic makepoint.gif.

James

I use a very similar method....hammer around the edges....I cover the slab with whatever is around to keep plastic from flying around. Hammer works great on all slabs.

Just curious -- is there a way to crack open a slab without using a hacksaw to cut the thing in half?

Yes.. I have opened a few slabs without doing any damage to the plastic. insane.gif

Are you the author of the home page journal about a suspicious slab you think may have been tampered with? And you had to refund a buyer?

I've always felt (theoretically) a thermonuclear explostion would be most efficent but I've never tried. Maybe I'll do a test later today... 893whatthe.gif

jom

I've always felt (theoretically) a thermonuclear explostion would be most efficent but I've never tried. Maybe I'll do a test later today... 893whatthe.gif

jom

I've heard lining the seams with C-4 works.

Yes. Blind-listed the slab without seeing it, then when the slab arrived, I just shipped it back out. Didn't realize the slab may have looked funny until the buyer complained...

It would be extremely tough to crack a leading slab w/o it being very obvious. Some of the cheaper slabs will split easily and could be rejoined fairly easily but definitely not PCGS' and very, very improbable with NGC's.

Never have. Why would you want to do such a thing? maybe for nefarious purposes such as 'content substitution'?

I never would! My understanding of the thread that the ebay slab was tampered with. My point was that I don't see NGC's or PCGS's slabs being cracked open and an inferior coin substituted. After all, this was done with the early ANAC grading certificates and photos. If there is an angle then an unscrupulous person will find it.

((( I've always felt (theoretically) a thermonuclear explostion would be most efficent )))

27_laughing.gif

Jom, I get the sense that you're not a big fan of slabs!

27_laughing.gif

James

There are many methods of unslabbing a coin. I do it all the time. I put the coin in an album and tape the sticker that was in the slab on the inside cover of the album.

As to unslabbing you just have to take the thing outside, put it on a brick and turn a torch to the thing. An arc welder will also do the job. Usually the plastic will melt away leaving the coin untouched unless the coin was of a soft metal like Zinc, Aluminum, Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Tin, etc. Also not good idea if the coin is Plastic or Wood. If there is a brick wall near by just throw the slab at it sideways. Placing on a RailRoad Track works but just have to be careful not to have the coin part on the track. Placing the slab in the ground on top of an M-80 and ligashting it sometimes works also but you have to go looking for the coin.

I just take a hack saw to the edges and it falls open.

What would be the purpose of unslabbing a coin? I understand for comics...but a coin has no pages, and you can see both sides of the coin.

If you want to put a coin in an album, or if you want to hold/touch/feel/smell it etc.

If the coin is undergraded you may want to crack it out and re-submit it.

Zach

If you want to put a coin in an album, or if you want to hold/touch/feel/smell it etc.

If the coin is undergraded you may want to crack it out and re-submit it.

Zach

I guess those are good reasons. lol

Only time I would even consider cracking it out would be to have it regraded (e.g. buying an SGS coin and seeing what NGC would grade it as)... Though I wonder if that's even worth the cost and effort...

Only time I would even consider cracking it out would be to have it regraded (e.g. buying an SGS coin and seeing what NGC would grade it as)... Though I wonder if that's even worth the cost and effort...

Probably not. lol

the crackout game can net you big money in a hurry if you know what you are doing... people do it all the time.... there are many more cracked out coins then you think....

I would say at least 25% of the coins in slabs today have been cracked out at one point or another.... and resubmitted

What would you do? I'd just leave mine in (Even though the chances of me buying coins, or graded coins is slim) the slab, and never remove it.

I'd like to slab my Morgan Silver Dollar from 1884, but, what was recommend to me sounds ok asswell.

I have a few coins that need new holders... they are scratched a bit... so I will reslab those.... I have a few that may upgrade... so I may reslab those... other than that.. I will leave my coins the slabs...

Jom, I get the sense that you're not a big fan of slabs!

That is preposterous! What could have given you such an outrageous idea? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

devil.gif

jom