• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about a Wheat Penny

7 posts in this topic

About 30 years ago, I remember seeing an ad about 1943 steel pennies. It said, that a few copper pennies were made that year by mistake, and was offering $10,000 if you could find one. Should I stop looking?

The ad was correct; there are bronze 1943 in existaance. To date only 12 ? have been found from the Phillly mint and some from the Denver mint and San Fransisco mint as well. There is also some stell 1944 Lincoln cents that have been found.

To dedicate my search for just this type error coins would be a waste of time, just as it would to be looking for the 1955 famous doubled die for even though there maybe one or two of these Lincoln cent coins out there, the odds of you uncovering anyone of them is higher than winning the lottery grand prize.

Howvere, don't give up searching for there are may other errors and variety coins (less valuable of course) out there that still lay in wait in someones dresser, old coin bank, etc. waiting to be found.

WAVYSTEPS2003

Thanks for the info. The ad had me wondering for years. At the time. It said, their were five found so far.

I'm sorry..............

You're never gonna find any "Pennies" like that out there.

The Lincoln is not a Penny........

It is a CENT.

No disrespect, but I feel like I have to correct everyone.

........I got corrected from a Dealer....in front of a few people...and I never forgot it.

Pete

Technically you're right, Buffalo Pete, but the word "penny" has become ubiquitous in its usage referring to cents. Small cents were originally modelled after British pennies (to a certain extent - or at least the idea of them.)

As to the subject matter, you occasionally come across a copper-plated steel cent masquerading as the real thing. I've got one myself.