• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just a little fun - write the best auction description for this coin.

24 posts in this topic

Many auction descriptions are so good they prove Pavlov's theory. I thought it might be fun to see how creative some of the best collector minds were when put to the test. How about a simple paragraph that accurately describes the positive attributes of this coin to perspective buyers.

doriangrey.jpg

Hows this? I realize that it is not entirely (or at all) truthfull, and it is all BS (not to mention the grammar errors); but it is the best I could whip up in a few minutes (now if I had a few hours grin.gif)

For sale is an amazing 1998-P Quarter Dollar in AU-50++ Condition. Compare the mintages of this coin with other dates such as the 1995 and 1996 quarters, you will find that this coin is many milllions rarer. In addition, this is the last coin in a series that spanned 67 Years!!!!! As we all know, coins that are the first and last in a series are always much more desirable and therefore command higher prices. Also, I know from experience how hard it is for people from the west coast to obtain philadelphia mint coins; Californians, this would make an excellent opportunity to fill that hole in your collection! This coin would also make for a superb investement, for you, or for your children. Just from a quick scan of a reference book, I notice that a 61 year old quarter (1932D) is already selling for over $10,000; and if this coin is passed down for a few generations, it could sell for the $60,000 price of a 1827 quarter. Calculate those profits, it is much better than gold, silver, or even Platinum!

This upper grade AU coin has nearly blemish free fields with very little wear or damage. If this coin just didnt have that tiny amount of wear, it could easily grade MS-67 or 68. Also, the fabulous toning contrasts beautifully with the high parts of this coin giving it a great effect. And, for those patriotic people, this coin doesnt get any more American. The front features one of our greatest leaders, George Washington, and the reverse depicts a perched American Eagle. Dont miss your chance to own this great piece of american history.

FAMOUS MAGICIAN'S PROP. EXTREMELY RARE

This 1998 quarter was once used by world famous street magician, David Blaine in his amazing performances in New York City. That's right! This very quarter was pulled from the ear of a terrified eight year old girl! You can still see the earwax coating the entire coin. NEVER BEEN CLEANED! Just a stunning piece of Americana.

WOW

Check out this 1998 - Pea quarter in AU-50+ Condition. Notice the Eagle on the reverse. It is not a shy eagle, spread eagle like that. Perhaps, it is a boy or a girl eagle. Who knows? Notice the dark color of this speciman, it could be an experimental planchet that has gone five years before its discovery. There are a few nicks, and dings on the coin, and this is normal for a coin that has been out in circulation for this long. I will start the bidding at .01 with a reserve near $100,000.00. Good luck in your bidding, and I hope you win. Postage and insurance is on me for this one. Oh, I almost forgot. Don't forget to view my other items.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

stooges.gif

For your consideration is a lovely 1998-P quarter dollar, the last of the traditional Washington series before the release of the first state quarters in 1999. This handsomely toned coin harkens to the stunning classic designs of the early Federal period, with a gunmetal grey patina that truly accentuates the design features, bringing the piece an almost living quality. The wear patterns of this high-EF graded coin accentuate the design features making it look similar to the higher relief coins struck prior to the 1990s. Unlike many ultra high grade specimens from the period, this piece has character, the limited wear and toning surely examplify the beauty of such pieces destined to circulate.

Jeff, that's superb. Carter, I didn't consider the West Coast angle. Dogs, I've seen an auction like that. Here's one.

This Washington quarter is a lovely example of a classic design. It is conservatively graded XF-45, although strike and detail suggest a much higher grade. The silky surfaces are minimally marked, and show only honest wear. Its fully original and undipped surfaces have toned a pleasing gun-metal grey, with even color throughout. The 98 is particularly significant, as it is the final issue prior to the major reverse design change of 99. Whether you are a year or type collector, don't miss this important coin. grin.gif

Hey, I'll give it a try.

Here's an original XF late date with unusal color and nice details. These later date, lower grade and toned examples are few and far inbetween. Assembling a set of these special coins make for an interesting collection.

Thanks for looking,

Your pal, Don 27_laughing.gif

Thanks Don! I was trying to go after the sound of the major auction houses, and how they describe coins that aren't particularly rare/high grade/etc. and how it might sound 100 years hence. I chose the high road rather than the more typical eBay type hyping of really common/crappy coins. This was certainly a fun exercise!

Choice Late Date Washington Quarter

Here’s a unique opportunity to pick up a choice circulated example of what perhaps will be the last of the Washington Quarters that bore the John Flanagan’s original design. This beautiful coin is a choice EF-45 piece with warm russet toning on the obverse and more pronounced gray coloration on the reverse. It is totally original and virtually defect-free. We note that there are a couple of minor rim marks for the sake of accuracy.

At our November sale, a less attractive example that was only in VF condition realized $4,750.00 after some spirited bidding. This magnificent specimen will undoubtedly attract even more attention.

Here’s a chance to own an heirloom quality coin that you will be proud to pass down to your grandchildren. With a mintage of just 896,268,000 pieces this is undoubtedly one of the most attractive surviving examples extant. Once the auction hammer has fallen on this beauty, it may be many years before another one like this will be offered at pubic auction.

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Choice Late Date Washington Quarter

Here’s a unique opportunity to pick up a choice circulated example of what perhaps will be the last of the Washington Quarters that bore the John Flanagan’s original design. This beautiful coin is a choice EF-45 piece with warm russet toning on the obverse and more pronounced gray coloration on the reverse. It is totally original and virtually defect-free. We note that there are a couple of minor rim marks for the sake of accuracy.

At our November sale, a less attractive example that was only in VF condition realized $4,750.00 after some spirited bidding. This magnificent specimen will undoubtedly attract even more attention.

Here’s a chance to own an heirloom quality coin that you will be proud to pass down to your grandchildren. With a mintage of just 896,268,000 pieces this is undoubtedly one of the most attractive surviving examples extant. Once the auction hammer has fallen on this beauty, it may be many years before another one like this will be offered at pubic auction.

893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Oh man where can I buy this coin!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Send me two.

Say, didn't I just buy an 1909 MS63 Indian Head penny from you for $879.00.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

You forgot to mention the most obvious attribute of this coin. It is so rare, it has never before appeared in any major auction in any condition.

True Grade

Love your byline. Did you not know that coin dealers are made up of those who flunked the used car ethics exam??

If the coin market gets really bad, and a retail coin dealer had to close his shop. He could make millions as a used car salesman.

Also, If a retail coin dealer, and a used car salesman got in a competition to see who could sell the most used cars, Id trust the retail coin dealer to win.

1998 Quarter, see scan.

Shipping and handling charge will be $8.50 minimum, more for Alaska. I do not combine shipping on multiple auctions. Insurance is required and is $4.00. I have set a reasonable reserve to protect my investment. I do not accept PayPal. Money Order or Cash is expected with 3 days of auction close. I can not be responsible for items lost in the mail. You will receive negative feedback if I don't have payment in 3 days. Please reference the auction number and enclose a copy of the auction page with your payment, or shipment will be delayed. You should send an adhesive address label. All sales are final. I reserve the right to cancel your bid if you have less than 10 feedbacks. I do not leave feedback until I get feedback from you. Please see my "me" page for further terms and conditions.

BodyBag's description stands out among a field of excellent essays. It captures everything important about the coin itself. That is to say, nothing. But it goes even further in capturing everything important about the worst eBay sellers around. Bravo.

One question: do you require that the Buyer send a self-addressed, stamped, padded envelope plus Saf-T-Mailer for your convenience? The devil, as they say, is in the details.

Beijim

Dear Beijim,

As stated in the auction, you should have read my "me" page, where it indeed says you should provide the shipping supplies, else your coin will be loose in a #2 envelope. It is in paragraph 14, sub-section 3. I am posting negative feedback for you because you have not read my rules, and you are harrasing me via email. I am selling the coin to the next highest bidder.

See attached for your feedback.

168773-FB.gif.84e6cf71d1f3be54d65b2c6bf4d58c98.gif

BodyBag,

I'm nearly wetting myself with laughter (I suppose that would interest CONSERVATIVE a.k.a. PARASITE a.k.a. KINGKOIN a.k.a. ONANIST). Good one, and my apologies for not reading the compleat [sic] United Nations Resolution on your Auctions For Food policies and guidelines.

I'll do better next time, damnit.

Beijim

While not as rare as the 1936 Washington Quarter, the 1998 is the last strike of this illustrious and long standing series and deserves a premium bid as such. Thick mint luster is hidden beneath the diffuse greyish-black patina supporting it's authenticity. An exceptional addition to the finest of sets.

BEAUTIFUL WASHINGTON QUARTER- RARELY SEEN AT AUCTION IN THIS GRADE!

PCGS AU-50! Probably the FIRST EVER appearance of this date and grade in a major auction! This 1998 quarter has beautiful reddish-brown toning that is reminiscent of autumn leaves! You rarely see toning as lovely as this; most of this date are toned an unattractive gray color. With beautifully toned coins such as this one demanding 10X premiums, and the practically non-existent auction appearances for this date and grade, and the current RED HOT modern market, this should draw some hefty four and five figure bids. Bid generously if you want this coin to find a happy home in your collection!

I started another “write an auction description” thread over “across the street” at PCG$.

Link

I'll admit, I was surprised at how good some of these sound. I'm glad I already have an example of this one. lol You know, after you read as many auction descriptions as we all do, it is almost possible to recite the adjectives from memory. I chuckled at some of these out loud. Bill, I'm still laughing to myself that you focused on the mintage.:D Thanks for playing.