• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Franklin Halves - NGC vs PCGS

11 posts in this topic

I think PCGS might be a bit more strict on the grade but NGC is tougher on the FBL designation. Please keep in mind that this series is not one that I follow closely.

I think PCGS might be a bit more strict on the grade but NGC is tougher on the FBL designation.

thumbsup2.gif

now there are exceptions to the rules and it is on a sight seen basis

I prefer NGC all the way. They are much stricter on the criteria for Full Bell Lines (similar to Full Torch or Full Head on other coins) For NGC to give FBL, both sets of bell lines have to be full and crisp. PCGS only requires the bottom set. Now, this would be fine except for the fact that the bottom set is full alot more often than both sets. A coin PCGS grades as FBL often (and by that, I mean most of the time) has serious weakness in the upper set of lines. If that is what you like, fine, go ahead, but I much prefer NGC standards. It's just a better looking coin (and that is what the full strike designation is all about, isn't it?) Now, that's not to say that there are some nice coins in PCGS holders, but sight unseen I cannot trust PCGS to meet my standards, whereas I have not yet seen an NGC FBL coin I didn't agree with. Plus, I like the NGC holder better anyways.

It depends on what you want. Perhaps on those ultra-high grade "condition rarities" you might prefer PCGS to NGC, on FBL I agree with others in a preference for NGC over PCGS. I have a set that all grades between MS-63 and MS-65 with a mix of FBL and non FBL, and for that range you can take just about any slab as long as you like the coin inside. Mine are all NGC, PCGS and ICG, and I am perfectly happy with them.

If FBL is your cup of tea, then NGC is really the only way to go. PCGS is much too loose handing out the designation. However, if you simply want a nice set of UNCs, then my answer would be .... neither! Instead, I'd say get out and cherrypick some nice uncertified coins for a lot less than the premium you'll have to pay for the holder. And what's nice about Frankies is: you need not worry about counterfeits. Most of the coins are realistically valued at only $15 to $20 in a nice BU grade, but certification tacks on another $20. Why pay double for coins of this caliber?

James

I'm going with NGC.

I agree with the posts on this thread with the FBL arguments.

However, "the who grades better" argument is, to me anyway, merely market perception. I could be wrong, but either way it doesn't make any difference to me, as I have dissagreed with PCGS in the past.

Another deciding factor was that I no longer have a PCGS memebership. However, I am an ANA member. I also like the NGC holders.

Thanks to all for all your repsonses and advice.

laugh.gif

Here's the kind of Frankies I've been picking up lately - definitely "FBL", the whole lot of them wink.gif !

k195601.jpg

k196101.jpg

k196102.jpg

k196301.jpg

I think brilliant proof Frankies are some of the most fun coins to image (that is, when not in a slab).

James