• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ancient Coins Spanked by ICG!

13 posts in this topic

Over the past few months I bought a few nice looking but inexpensive ancient coins from a local bidboard. For fun and reesearch I had them graded by ICG and boy did I ever get spanked on the grades!

Have a look:

i1835470147.jpg

i1835470148.jpg

i1835470149.jpg

I was expecting grades of low-mid AU, High AU-low mint state, and low-mid AU, respectively. My local dealer who handles a a good number of ancients was also suprised by the strictness of the grades.

Yikes!

Who cares about the spanking, those are beautiful coins!!!!!

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Thanks, you do have a point about not sweating the grades. On the bright side, I may try buying a few lightly circulated ancients in ICG holders, perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprized.

Ancient coin collectors won't look at ICG's grade. I'm finding out more and more the first thing people do is crack them out. If you have a nice mid to high end coin and want some paperwork on it, send it here....

web page

It will add to the value of your coin.

Ancient coin collectors won't look at ICG's grade. I'm finding out more and more the first thing people do is crack them out. If you have a nice mid to high end coin and want some paperwork on it, send it here....

Perhaps, but I recently sold an ICG slabbed ancient coin. It brought around $50. Similar condition ones were selling for $15-$25 raw. Maybe the buyer is going to crack it out, but if I'm a seller, I'll pay $10-$16 to put it in an ICG slab to make $25-$35 more on the sale.

I could be wrong. confused-smiley-013.gif Whatcha think of this coin? Not my collecting area, but I've been thinking about purchasing it. And its even toned! 893whatthe.gif

765597.jpg

I like the coin a lot. I wish it had a better shaped planchet. Wonderful design. I've wanted a "riding a dolphin" coin for a while. Not too sure about the price, but the last nicely toned ancient I saw on their site didn't last long and I regret not buying it.

Two other cool riding a dolphin coins they have, but almost twice the money.

762444.jpg

762445.jpg

Go for it!