• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Get out Your Loupes! Tell me if I found a new DDR!

19 posts in this topic

Alright everybody, class project. Get out your 1986 French Statue of Liberty Centennial Piedforts, the silver ones, and look for a DDR on the reverse. I was looking at mine, and I think I might have found a new one (I haven't heard of any old ones!) I know it won't bring any kind of premium, but it is cool because it is my first new find.

Anyways, what to look for: The bottom right corner of the 1 (in the 100 F) shows doubling, with notching. Also, the cornucopia and dolphin on the left and right of the date in the exergue show the doubling the strongest, with notching on both.

So, take a look and tell me what you see!

I guess I should have clarified. Yes, I am looking at a Doubled Die Reverse (and not Dance, Dance, Revolution for you younger people).

I also emailed Ken Potter, so I am waiting to see what he says.

A dealer I know has a few hundred of them. I looked at a couple and did see the DDR. Rather minor, but it is there. I did not buy any of them. He's going to melt them as it's easier to sell the silver than the coins.

Sorry, I am inable to take pictures. I am well aware of the ejection doubling, or Machine Doubling, as I have been fooled numerous times by this pesky little bug. However, I am relatively sure that this is a real DDR, as there is evident notching in several places. Yes, it is a minor DDR on an unpopular coin, but I think it is cool because it is the first one I have found.

Sorry, I am inable to take pictures.

Well,maybe you could send it to a board member who could? Greg? poke2.gif

I used to have a microscope set up for taking pictures of minor doubled dies, but I never set it up again when I moved. frown.gif

I used to have a microscope set up for taking pictures of minor doubled dies, but I never set it up again when I moved. frown.gif

You're a better man for that. thumbsup2.gif

You're a better man for that. thumbsup2.gif

893censored-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif

physics-fan,

They don't get much more (much less?) minor than this RPM. If you can work around my schedule, I'd be happy to shoot some pictures for you.

1137387-1946d-5mm-u001.jpg

1137387-1946d-5mm-u001.jpg.ae3a10ca739786ffdd45d55605313e03.jpg