• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just HATE toned coins!!!

19 posts in this topic

Given the little discussion over toning, I just thought I'd share a few pics of some stuff I recently paid too much for (except the bust half).

Sorry in advance for not having the ability to simply put the pics in my post, rather having to use the attachments function. Oh well...

Here's a nice Washington... shocked.gif

Hoot

589a8ae36a2ff_164379-1952Wash25cMS66PCGSobv.jpg.6727f0bf8aaba1b8528d82fd61ac2fca.jpg

Oh how I HATE Franklins! (Couldn't they have given him some hair???) 893whatthe.gif

589a8ae3783cd_164385-1954-SFrank50cMS65PCGSobv.jpg.06d6ba436a6e0e271cb018dd0d468609.jpg

Nice coins, I like them very much! Did the two Washingtons and Franklin live together for a while? I ask because they have a very similar quality to their toning. It's funny, as soon as I started to see the reverse of the '53-S Washington come up on my screen I knew the coin would have the S mintmark. That's because, in my experience, the '53-S and '54-S Washingtons are the worst struck coins in the silver series, they look like they were struck in semi-solid oatmeal. Nice Bust, too! smile.gif

Thanks Tom! Yes, the coins lived together for a while, but I have no more information than that. A local collector had them and brought them into the local coin shop certified. The stikes may not be all that great, but what they lack in strike, they make up for in eye appeal. My scans can never capture the lustre of the coins. All but the bust half are beaming with lustre. The bust half is simply more subdued, as one might expect from the series (it's AU55).

Hoot

That Bust Half and that Franklin have to be the UGLIEST coins that I have ever seen in my life.

Please send both to me and I will send you some nice, bright white examples in return and dispose of these properly. In my personal collection of UGLY coins. stooges.gif

Oh my goodness, Ken!!! Drill a hole through that puppy and attach hook and line!!! blush.gif (Or send it to me and let me do the honor). wink.gif

grin.gif Hoot

Isn't that pretty ? Too bad its not mine. The price is way above what the pocket book can afford. Saw this one and a 31D on the Whitlow site and got permission to show them around from Mike P. One of the most Beautiful Mercs I have ever seen, picture wise.

Ken

Cool stuff Hoot. I don't care for Washinton quarters, but do admire the fiery oranges and yellows that some tend to tone up with. Pretty stuff.

Why can't you guys bathe your coins? I make my kids take a bath frequently--the least you could do is give your coins a bath. Just a quick little dip and think how white they would look! smile.gif

Mark