• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Experiences with NCS?

10 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Just sent 3 NGC holdered coins in to NCS for an opinion before they go on to NGS for an appearance review. One is a cameo proof washington, the other two are MS65 washingtons...all silver. They seem to have a blackish grey spotting. On the proof it is really distracting. The dealer I sent them through said that NCS would attempt to 'conserve' the coins only if they would be able to do so and retain the marked certified grade. Otherwise, I could have them conserved and regraded, most likely at a lower grade, or (what I chose) send them back to NGC for the appearance review and if they now grade lower than when they were slabbed, NGC makes good on their gaurantee.

Has anyone submitted coins for 'conservation' to NCS? What have your experiences been? Is it more likely that I will get back my coins shiny and clean in new holders, or back as I sent them with a note saying they cant be recovered? (I know this is impossible to assess without pictures...mostly asking hypothetically based on experiences with how they do business)

I have heard nothing but good things about NGC's policy, so I feel pretty confident that I wont get the short end of the stick, but honestly, I just want my frosty proof. I will take the difference in money if need be, but I really hope NCS can do whatever it is they do to get this coin in the condition it was apparently certified in.

Thoughts?

I've had excellent results sending coins to NCS for conservation. Their work is exceptional. I've sent some high-end moderns and have been particularly pleased with the results. The coins came out looking freshly minted - not unnaturally dipped, but as they probably appeared straight from striking.

Good luck!

Beijim

I have only ever had one coin conserved, an NGC MS-64 1900 Liberty nickel that acquired nasty gunk on the surfaces while in the slab. I bought it for something like 20% below sheet.

NCS did a phenomenal job. Honestly, the coin looked like a lock-5, and I sold it for a substantial premium, something like 20% above sheet.

There's an old thread about it somewhere on here.

James

I've only sent three coins to NCS, one that I owned and two for other folks.

The coin that I owned was sent in because it was a very high end MS64 1932 WQ that had developed horrible, grey-auburn dip residue on it. They cleaned it off and NGC graded it MS65. I don't know if MS65 was correct, as in my mind it was still an MS64+++ but that is splitting hairs.

The two coins I sent in for other people were both Morgans. They took some gunk off one coin and the owner was quite pleased and the other coin they would not work on. The owner wanted it dipped even though it had what I would consider an attractive, original patina on it. NCS agreed that the coin was attractive and sent the coin back with a note stating that they would not conserve the coin because it would likely lower the eye appeal and they saw no other pressing need for it to be worked on. I thought that was pretty cool, though perhaps annoying for the coin owner. Still, it only cost the owner $5.

I like and use them often. I recently sent in a 1877 1C that you could barely see the date on. It came back VF Details. Others that were sent on to NGC came back right on or higher from where the grade I bought it at.

Jerry

I like and use them often. I recently sent in a 1877 1C that you could barely see the date on. It came back VF Details. Others that were sent on to NGC came back right on or higher from where the grade I bought it at.

I have never used NCS, but would be curious to know how well NCS coins that get graded by NGC do with PCGS ?? It seems to me that the NGC/NCS "collaboration" could get a little sticky in some cases, and this could "impair" judgement - at BOTH places.

For instance:

I submit a coin to NCS - and get it graded (perhaps overgraded?) by NGC.

I then submit to PCGS - and they either BB it (improperly cleaned) or undergrade it, just because they suspect (or know) that it came from NCS.

Just a little skepticism I suppose .... confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't think that your argument has merit, GAB. Break the conserved coin out of the NGC slab and it is still a coin to be graded for it's merits alone. NCS does a fine job.

I don't think that your argument has merit, GAB. Break the conserved coin out of the NGC slab and it is still a coin to be graded for it's merits alone. NCS does a fine job.

I hope you are right !! There are a lot of nice "natural" (ugly) coins out there that didn't get the good fortune to land in a nice NT friendly environment, and NEED to be conserved. If it's all on the "up and up" - and there are no long term complications, then I am all for it!

GAB