• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How will toning affect proof grading? Need help....

9 posts in this topic

I have a Washington quarter in an NGC holder with a grade of UCAM PF68. I am concerned because it is becoming toned with the most concentration toward the rim and now working its way onto the greater percentage of the coin. It is very easy to see just how stunning the mirrored fields are in the portions not yet beginning to tone. The cameo contrast is deep and beautiful, but as the tone dulls the fields, the contrast seems to lessen, at least to my eye.

The tone itself looks like greyish black speckle...somewhat blotchy, mostly noticable on the reverse atop the lettering.

Would this coin grade lower now?

Will it continue to grade lower as the tone continues to build over time?

I have other proofs that are beginning to slightly tone and I want to figure out what this will mean to the grade and market value of my coins.

Thanks for any advice you can offer. If I get a chance today I will try to get some pictures and post them...might not be until tomorrow though.

It is very unusual for coins to tone significantly once certified, but the type of toning you describe sounds exactly like someone dipped this coin prior to submission and did not rinse and neutralize the surfaces properly. This is known as dip residue and it can really kill the eye appeal, and surfaces, of a coin over time. If it is dip residue then it should continue to worsen over time. Your best option might be to send it to NCS, depending on its value, and ask an opinion on the piece.

You write that you have other slabbed coins toning as well and if this is the case then I would suspect that your storage method is causing this to occur as it is quite unusual to have a significant number of slabbed coins toning.

If the coin has dip residue on it, you can send it to NGC under their Appearance Review service and if they agree, they will dip the coin for you and reslab it for free. All you pay is postage both ways.

It is very unusual for coins to tone significantly once certified, but the type of toning you describe sounds exactly like someone dipped this coin prior to submission and did not rinse and neutralize the surfaces properly. This is known as dip residue and it can really kill the eye appeal, and surfaces, of a coin over time. If it is dip residue then it should continue to worsen over time. Your best option might be to send it to NCS, depending on its value, and ask an opinion on the piece.

You write that you have other slabbed coins toning as well and if this is the case then I would suspect that your storage method is causing this to occur as it is quite unusual to have a significant number of slabbed coins toning.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

If the coin has dip residue on it, you can send it to NGC under their Appearance Review service and if they agree, they will dip the coin for you and reslab it for free. All you pay is postage both ways.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Would this coin grade lower now?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will it continue to grade lower as the tone continues to build over time?

YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have other proofs that are beginning to slightly tone and I want to figure out what this will mean to the grade and market value of my coins.

does not look good at all on both counts mad.giffrown.gif

I'm assuming it's a later date Washington, so personally, I would want to have it conserved.

James

It is a 1961 Ultra-CAM PF68

The features that arent affected by this 'tone' are stunning, but the black/grey splotches are really killing the eye appeal. I want to do whatever I can to at minimum, preserve what I have left, preferrably, restore. I dont know anything about 'dipping' coins or why it is done. I don't really care what it is that needs to occur so long as it preserves the value of the coin. (and obviously the eye appeal of a mirror proof)

Who do I contact at NGC regarding sending it back for their assessment / intervention? I have never sent anything to them and have no idea where to even start.

Thanks for any advice you can provide - I'm kinda desperate here.

call 1 800 ngc coin and ask to speak to a customer service rep on how to submit a coin for appearance review

in other worss you want them to dip fix it and re holder it and send it back to you aT THE SAME GRADE AND LOOK

if not then you want some sort of monetary compensation

this is waht as per the above you tell them and when you submit the coin this is waht you write on the form

as per the above

good luck my little coin sweet