• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is an Essai?

5 posts in this topic

I saw this auction on Ebay, and it interested me. I like the French Occupation of Morocco coinage, so I would like to get it if I knew what it was. I have seen the term Essai in places, but what is it? And, if anyone knows, how rare is this particular piece and what is it worth? Help! (picture attached)

1103123-3d_1.JPG.227d5f375ef165f69b73d3594f64cf80.JPG

An essai is a sort of test strike - generally a non-circulating non-legal tender piece with a somewhat larger mintage than the typical coin designated as a pattern.

Your Moroccan 10 franc, which appears to be dated AH1366 (11/25/48-11/15/49) is not pictured in the 2006 Krause, but except for denomination it looks exactly like

• E26, a 20 franc dated AH1347 ($250 cat. value),
  • E28, a 50 centimes dated AH1361 ($40),
  • E43, a 50 francs dated AH1371 ($35)
  • E44, a 100 francs dated AH 1372 ($75), and
  • E45, a 200 francs dated AH1372 ($90)

Considering its condition, and the catalog values for similar pieces, I doubt if I would go over $50, if I collected French colonial essais or Moroccan coins.

Krause is not known for 100% accuracy in listing essais and patterns. frustrated.gif

So I've been researching on the internet, and I found a book which might help me. Does anyone have a copy of "Monnaies et jetons des colonies françaises" by LECOMPTE Jean? It is in French, but appears to be a complete encyclopedia of the French Colonial issues. If anyone can read french and has it, could you please relay the information? Thanks.

Just FYI, I purchased several Morocco Essai coinage today at the Long Beach show. Most were priced around catalog and they are in nice condition.