• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS to pay collecters/dealers to trade non-existent PCGS certified coins!

24 posts in this topic

I'm not kidding!

I kinda like the "fantasy coin" idea,but since I'm not a PCGS Collectors Club member it looks like I'll be missing out.

Not bad for a chance at $10k though,I wonder how many people will sing up just for the "PCGS 2006 World Series of Coin Trading"?

Hayden

Not bad for a chance at $10k though,I wonder how many people will sing up just for the "PCGS 2006 World Series of Coin Trading"?

You don't think that could be the reason they are doing it do you blush.gif

Actually it is pretty neat yay.gif

I hate the idea. It promotes one of the worst (and growing) aspects of coin collecting - the short term buying to flip for a profit.

What happened to building a nice collection? This is no better than day trading stocks and calling it investing.

I hate the idea. It promotes one of the worst (and growing) aspects of coin collecting - the short term buying to flip for a profit.

What happened to building a nice collection? This is no better than day trading stocks and calling it investing.

It's a game, Greg ... lighten up.

It may be a game, but it is also a ploy to build paid membership. How many companies give something for nothing?

Chris

Good grief, how much stupider can something get?

I have no interest in this part of the "hobby." None. It escapes me why a collector would chose to spend his time pretending to trade coins for profit instead of, say, searching for undiscovered varieties or rare hub pairings.

But . . . to each his own. It seems to me, though, that PCGS could make the game more realistic by allowing pretend crackouts and upgrades/downgrades to reflect the all-to-real inconsistency in grading.

This is no better than day trading stocks and calling it investing

Hey!!! I resemble that remark!!! wink.gifgrin.gif

Actually I think most will get bored of the game when they dont see prices changing everyday.

Come on guys. We all know if NGC offered the same contest many of us would be all over it and would praise NGC for it.

I'm also not a member of PCGS so I can't play, but you really don't think it's a fun, neat idea? I do.

I don't think PCGS is promoting anything outside of a friendly competition and that should encourage many to join up so as to play.

Absolutely nothing wrong or devilish about that motivation, really, is there?

If NGC suddenly came up with this nutty idea, I'd have the exact same gut reaction - "How much stupider can something get". I sure hope NGC never sinks to this level!

I just simply don't understand WHY the money-grabbing aspect of this hobby is SO important to certain parties, but I guess they have no other way to measure their success.

For me, I feel successful at collecting simply by acquiring a coin that I can enjoy. I need not have a million dollars invested in my collection to enjoy it.

I can appreciate someone putting together a time-honored Whiteman folder of VG/F Lincolns on a limited budget just as much as a sugar-daddy with a million bucks to blow on stupendously high-grade coins. Actually, I can probably appreciate the Lincolns more, because I know that collector would have had to select his coins more carefully than the guy who can afford to just find the biggest number on a slab.

As long as NGC seems to care about collectors more than PCGS does, I will continue to patronize their service. I really, honestly couldn't care less which of their holders are allegedly "worth more".

James

Well . . . not all games are good.

That being said, I do like a raucous game of Monopoly. I hope that doesn't mean others perceive me as an unprincipled and unbridled capitalist who seeks to bankrupt his friends and children. Is the CU Forum game as innocent as Monopoly; and, if not, what is it about the "World Series of Trading" that causes concern?

If NGC suddenly came up with this nutty idea, I'd have the exact same gut reaction - "How much stupider can something get". I sure hope NGC never sinks to this level!

I just simply don't understand WHY the money-grabbing aspect of this hobby is SO important to certain parties, but I guess they have no other way to measure their success.

For me, I feel successful at collecting simply by acquiring a coin that I can enjoy. I need not have a million dollars invested in my collection to enjoy it.

I can appreciate someone putting together a time-honored Whiteman folder of VG/F Lincolns on a limited budget just as much as a sugar-daddy with a million bucks to blow on stupendously high-grade coins. Actually, I can probably appreciate the Lincolns more, because I know that collector would have had to select his coins more carefully than the guy who can afford to just find the biggest number on a slab.

As long as NGC seems to care about collectors more than PCGS does, I will continue to patronize their service. I really, honestly couldn't care less which of their holders are allegedly "worth more".

James

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Is the CU Forum game as innocent as Monopoly; and, if not, what is it about the "World Series of Trading" that causes concern?

If they prefaced the announcement of this game with "In an effort to increase our membership..... , at least I would say that I believe them. Not having said that, which I feel is obvious, keeps me from being even the slightest bit interested or curious.

Chris

Is the CU Forum game as innocent as Monopoly; and, if not, what is it about the "World Series of Trading" that causes concern?

If they prefaced the announcement of this game with "In an effort to increase our membership..... , at least I would say that I believe them. Not having said that, which I feel is obvious, keeps me from being even the slightest bit interested or curious.

Chris

Or, in order to reward our current membership ... or, in order to aid us in making sure our price guide is correct ... or numerous other possibilities.

I can see nothing ever changes on this side of the street.

I can see nothing ever changes on this side of the street.

Generalizations. I'd wager that there are members on the CU Forum who also aren't interested in the game for any number of reasons. Speaking of wagers, is there a window taking bets on the outcome? grin.gif

My hat is off for whoever came up with this promotion, and it would be, no matter which side of the street it came from. cool.gif

What a great opportunity to have at bit of fun. smile.gif

It's something a person can play with over the rest of the year with whatever time is available.

What's really great about this hobby is that there are so many options as to where you spent your time.

Every option is important to some collector.

I really don't care who came up with this deal but it's just one more way to have fun with this great hobby.

I think the game will be fun also. Probably just the trader in me. grin.gif

Now please stay away from all the 81-s Morgans in 63. There mine..

I'm not participating because I'm not a paid member.

That is exactly what I mean. They would be smarter to open the game to any and all comers with no membership requirement. They would probably realize a larger increase in membership by doing so. As an example, our local paper has a stock market game every year. You start with a mythical $10,000 and allocate it for the "purchase" of any stock(s) you choose. At the end of the year, the entrants with the best performing portfolios are awarded prizes. However, the newspaper does not require you to be a subscriber, but, in reality, they always get a boost in subscriptions as a result.

Chris

It might be fun, but I'm not paying $50 just to become a PCGS collectors member.

I think it would be fun,but I have no intentions of ever submiting to PCGS anytime soon so it would be a waste...