• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about those Franklin Commems..shipping date changed....!!!!!

25 posts in this topic

I'm glad I ordered mine on the first day. My only concern will be that I may get a substandard coin(s). If that happens, I won't have the opportunity to return it for another. Of course, if the substandard coin happens to be a proof with a die crack running from rim to rim, I'll probably be able to unload it to Errorist. wink.gif

Chris hi.gif

foreheadslap.gif No Way! foreheadslap.gif That really sux!

Well, I scrambled to order the younger Franklin. Thanks for the heads up. I knew that the Continental Design would be popular but I had no idea that it would sell out already!! Man, this hobby is going nuts!

thanks for hte news about the frankies--i still have my us mint pamphlet on my desk, ready to buy. rats. anyway, they are available on eBay, and the eBay'ers have not heard, evidently, that they are already a sell-out. i just bought a double set (8 coins)--i paid $55 each, but given taht the marines are already selling for $80, and there were a lot more of those minted (600,000 vs. 250,000 of each kind for frankie), i think that's a bargain. anyway, if you look up franklin under modern commems, you can find them in the ebay stores section. deadwood had 20 of each variety (now, 18), and i can only imagine the prices jumping once the word gets out.

I just think having a 100 coin limit is insane if their goal is to serve ordinary collectors. Why don't they just dispense with sales to the public and sell everything through dealers like they do with unc silver eagles?

And why is the word "[embarrassing lack of self control]" sensored (i.e. synonymous with doodie, begins with c and ends in p).

I love the Ebay pre-sales for these coins. They might ship in 90 days, yet people are selling them already. There should be a rule against this. You should have to at least be able to confirm shipment from the mint before you can pre-sell any US Mint product. Ebay really is a cesspool

i think "cesspool" is a bit harsh--if we are willing to allow the mint to pre-sale things (and sell them after they have reached their limit), then it only makes sense that the dealers will too. besides, eBay opens the collecting market up to so many more, that these problems seem minor. i think the bigger problem is the 100 coins limit. the collectors should have a real shot, and if coins still remain after the program is halfway into its run, then dealers should be allowed large orders.

Thanks for the info. I'm tempted to buy it now but I guess that I will hold off. Gee, what a surprise that it sold out so quick! The young scientist coin isn't sold out is it? I order them yesterday online.

I just called the mint's kiosk at union station D.C.They did not recieve any franklin comms. and the person there told me they are not expecting any. Sometimes I can get sold out coins from there. Not this time. I too just jumped on the ben franklin band wagon with my young scientest pre order .

when i put my order in with our beloved mint this morning online, all four of the frankies were out, as well as the chronicles set. it allowed me to order all of them however, and if anyone backed out, i would be in line to get them. i did, but i then went to the franklin presale site and bought my set there too.

there is one other option--it said that about 50,000 were being held back for some "american legacy collection" thing, but that may end up costing more for all that extra junk the mint puts in to jack up the price, and there may be massive swamping to get those as well.

good luck, whatever you do.

caveat: i would not be surprised if the franklin presale place pulls its franklins and raises its prices once it realizes that they went sellout.

deadwood had 20 of each variety (now, 18), and i can only imagine the prices jumping once the word gets out.

He doesn't have anything, yet! They won't be released until April. What happens if the Mint decides to cut his order by 75% to meet demands from other collectors? They did the same thing with the USMC $ and the 2005 Satin Mint Set. Somebody is likely to get the short end of the stick!

Chris

There should be a rule against this.

There is. Given the rule's fairly narrow wording, it's difficult for me to see how any current Franklin pre-sale listings could be in compliance.

Beijim

He doesn't have anything, yet! They won't be released until April. What happens if the Mint decides to cut his order by 75% to meet demands from other collectors?

If I had my way, the answer would be four simple letters: NARU.

sumo.gif

Beijim