• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mis-marked NGC slabbed Washington quarter?

8 posts in this topic

I will attempt to post a few pics here - never did this here yet so if the image doesnt show up right away bear with me...

I picked up this 56 Washington quarter a while back and I guess I had a lot of things going on at the time so I took a quick look at the coin, and being that it was slabbed by NGC I took for granted that what I bought sight-unseen was in fact what I recieved. I was looking through some coins and decided to take a closer look at this one...when I noticed that although not marked on the holder, this has a "D" mint mark on the reverse. Looking at the market value, this year at this grade is worth the same from both Philly and Denver, but I started wondering if in fact this might be a fraudulent slab.

Anyone ever see an example of this? (wrong coin in a holder?)

Any suggestions?

I am tempted to have this re-certified just to get things corrected but I have never done that, and dont want to put a lot of money into the processbeing that this isnt a high value coin to begin with.

Here is the front view in the holder with the label.....

ObverseEDIT.JPG

And here is a close up of the reverse which clearly shows a "D" mint mark.....

ReverseEDIT.JPG

It's possible that it may just be a typographical error on the insert. In any event, I believe that NGC has a policy to correct mistakes such as this at no charge to the owner. I don't know if this policy covers shipping and insurance. You'd have to ask.

Chris

If you take it to a show where NGC is doing onsite grading, they will reholder it there for free and give it back to you during the show.

I had this happen to me with a coin I won in an auction a few years back. The coin was listed as a P mint, and that was what was printed on the label, but when I received the coin it turned out to be a D mint issue.

As I needed both the P and D mints for my set at the time it was no problem. It also did not hurt that the D mint coin was worth more. wink.gif

I sent the coin in to NGC and they corrected the error free of charge, but I did have to pay the postage.

John

It seems to me, that they should make it a practice to cover the shipping as well. After all, you already paid shipping once to have the coin graded and slabbed, why should you have to pay shipping again to have them fix their own mistake.

Jason

It seems to me, that they should make it a practice to cover the shipping as well. After all, you already paid shipping once to have the coin graded and slabbed, why should you have to pay shipping again to have them fix their own mistake.

Jason

You didn't pay it, somone else did. Your only alternative would be to sell it on eBay as a one-of-a-kind mint error. The only Philadelphia Mint coin in history that was struck at the Denver Mint. Some lunatic..........pardon me!.............I meant knowledgeable buyer...........should pay some big $$$$$$$ for it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Chris

They do not cover shipping and insurance but they will reholder for free as it was there mistake on the label.

They do not cover shipping / insurance to send the coin back to them... but they do cover return shipping / insurance. I just had a very similar case except in my case it was a coin I had sent to NGC not one that I bouth slabbed.