• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper vs. Other Coins

What is the main reason you don't collect copper coins?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What is the main reason you don't collect copper coins?

21 posts in this topic

It is no skin off of my back (and so far it seems to my benefit), but it seems that most of the collector's at the Collector's Society are into silver, gold, and commemmeratives. The favorites seem to be quarters, halves and dollars also with an exceptional interest in the gold coins and commemmeratives. I have even noticed some collecting dimes of all varieties.

I guess I can see this to an extent if you are in this purely for the money. I even understand the issue of "I really like the look of these coins!"

I for one love flowerred.gif the small cent coins, mainly up through the Lincoln Cents takeit.gif, but even the two, three, five and twenty cent pieces catch my eye.

But I guess my main question is "Why the lack of interest in the Abes"? Are there so few of us that find the true beauty in the Copper coins?

1085835-1981T169RDU.JPG.cfa6b4fe5a64c60f322db52ffa5b64b2.JPG

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How can I vote when none of the categories apply? 893whatthe.gif

Copper coinage is a genuine love of mine, and I even collect darkside copper, which is a little esoteric for the average U.S. collector.

Copper coinage can be quite expensive, have great resale value, and can make unbelievable gains over time. Even when speaking of Lincoln cents, those in high grade, or satin proofs cloud9.gif, and many of the early dates can be of considerable investment expense and potential.

And I think there are as many copper fanatics around here as there are collectors of other cionage.

So, I am just a bit confused... confused.gif

Hoot

Hoot,

Glad to hear you are in favor of cooper coinage. Finding others with equal interests is great 893applaud-thumb.gif. It is comforting to know that there are others of my kind with which I can commiserate and discuss this fascinating sect of collecting. gossip.gif

I am not trying to confuse anyone with this post confused.gif. I am looking for responses from collector's that do not see the hidden treasures in these coins as do you and others already collecting them.

While all comments are welcome, even appreciated, I am looking to poll the noncollectors of this coin type.

Michael

Hoot,

Glad to hear you are in favor of cooper coinage. Finding others with equal interests is great 893applaud-thumb.gif. It is comforting to know that there are others of my kind with which I can commiserate and discuss this fascinating sect of collecting. gossip.gif

I am not trying to confuse anyone with this post confused.gif. I am looking for responses from collector's that do not see the hidden treasures in these coins as do you and others already collecting them.

While all comments are welcome, even appreciated, I am looking to poll the noncollectors of this coin type.

Michael

Michael, I'd have to agree with Hoot. For me, I have been accumulating European copper medals, of late. But, I don't think you should assume that other collectors do not see the hidden treasures in these coins , just because they don't choose to collect them. To be fair, you should have included at least one more category................. I have other collecting interests at this time!"

Chris

Howdy, Michael. Yep, I agree with the others. Your post was too limiting. I am mainly a type coin collector. This pursuit, by definition, strays into early and late copper. This reason alone is cause enough to educate the collector in large and small cents of all series. For instance, I had a heck of a time finding a classic head large cent w/o the normal pitted porosity until Hoot took care of me with an extremely nice example of an 1814. My 1803 example could use an upgrade but my 1820 is from the Randall hoard and has plenty of mint red and is a very lovely example. Then, of course, there is the FE cent and then the IHC with three basic types until we get to all of the varieties of Lincolns. So, copper is definitely an integral part of my collecting habits.

In addition, I have definitely accumulated my share of copper/bronze medals as well.

Thought provoking post, though.

Hi Michael,

I love copper coins, large cents, small cents, two cent pieces, Dark side, and medals.

I have an almost complete (lacking only four coins) set of mint state Lincoln cents. I also have numerous examples of wonderful dark side copper of all kinds, and some outstanding copper so called dollars.

While my collecting interests are primarily focused on early commemoratives and buffalo nickels at this time, I have not lost my appreciation for the beauty of copper. Whether full red, delicately toned, or a luscious chocolate brown, copper has a look all its own, and I am always thrilled to add another fine copper to my collection.

I’ll end my post by sharing some images of just a few of my coppers.

1086039-1919Lincolnobv.jpg1086040-1919Lincolnrev.jpg

1086042-1961sweden2oreobv.jpg1086043-1961sweden2orerev.jpg

1086048-badenobv.jpg1086050-badenrev.jpg

1086051-1909HK-359utahdollarobv.jpg1086054-1909HK-359utahdollarrev.jpg

John

Just a few thoughts.

There may be a few more Lincoln and copper collectors than it seems. I would guess many members grew up in the hobby collecting cents and have now moved on to something new.

Not that they don't still enjoy a great looking cent. smile.gif

The favorites seem to be quarters, halves and dollars also with an exceptional interest in the gold coins and commemmeratives. I have even noticed some collecting dimes of all varieties. I guess I can see this to an extent if you are in this purely for the money.

I think that the issue of "purely for the money" is a false distinction between copper and other metals. The Heritage Signature Auction in January at FUN, for example, saw (1) a 1915-D 1c MS66 Red go for $10,350, (2) a 1916-S 1c MS65 Red go for $18,400, (3) a 1923-S 1c MS65 Red go for $32,200, and (4) a 1913-S 1c MS66 Red go for $63,250.

I believe that there are just as many -- if not more -- copper collectors than there are collectors of other series. The popularity of Indian 1c and Lincoln 1c explains the high value of relatively common coins even in the more collectable grades, e.g., the 1909-S VDB is not a scarce, much less rare, coin in terms of either the number minted or extant. In addition, there is a strong cadre of collectors dedicated to finding and documenting varieties in the Lincoln 1c series. So . . . I guess I disagree with the premise of your poll.

"But I guess my main question is "Why the lack of interest in the Abes"? Are there so few of us that find the true beauty in the Copper coins?"

While I like other denominations and their history -- it is Lincoln cents and die varieties that are my passion. Bottom line is to have fun in whatever you like to collect. To me that is what a hobby is all about.

I didn't vote in your poll because I, too, believe the premise and question is flawed. We have a relatively small group of collectors that participate on this site and with any small group there is bound to be an over or underabundance of representation for various groups. As for the list of favorites you have listed, pretty much all US coinage is included. Personally, I do not share more copper images with the boards because I have a hard time accurately imaging dark copper.

Personally, I do like copper coins, but they are not my primary focus. I still have my Lincoln cent album that I put together as a kid, still missing 3 coins (though I did buy an 09-S and 31-S a couple years ago (the first new purchases for that album in a decade). I also put together a circulated set of 2-cent pieces a couple years ago, and I get much pleasure from that short set. It's all just a matter of taste. It's not that I dislike copper coins, it's just that I like a lot of other things better!

I stand corrected. sorry.gif Thank you for pointing out the flaws in the general question. I am, as I mentioned earlier elated to find so many collectors of copper coins.

As to the poll itself, it has not brought the response of the non-copper collectors as I had intended. Instead, it has shown me that many of you share the same passion for copper coins that I have. Honestly, I never considered the option of "My interests lie elsewhere at the moment" as a bullet in the poll.

This said, please know the question raised was more of a fact finding mission for me and not meant to be an insult to any one of you personally or wholly as a group. frown.gif

Actually, the more I got to thinking about Hoot's response, I began to realize I was a true newbie to this forum and should perhaps "learn the ropes" a little more before posting such questions. foreheadslap.gif

Regards,

Michael

Your poll brought out quite a number of thoughtful responses, and in that context, your post and thread worked quite well! Any controversial statement will gather some great discussion, so please post away and don't worry about "the ropes." smile.gif

Welcome, Michael, and we'll look forward to more. Post some pics of your copper coinage and tell us something about it all!

Hoot

Personally, I do like copper coins, but they are not my primary focus. I still have my Lincoln cent album that I put together as a kid, still missing 3 coins (though I did buy an 09-S and 31-S a couple years ago (the first new purchases for that album in a decade).

Dang! I wish I still had mine. frown.gif I had them all past 1975 except for the three keys. But I did have the '14 D. Sigh.............

Ok, here is some dark copper for you, not sure if the photo is any good, but the coin I like pretty well!

Of course copper is one thing, but nickel is something else entirely. I've never met any sane collector of nickel coinage, right Hoot? 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifmakepoint.gifdevil.gif

1086584-MVC-706S.JPG.865547131d82ce092091709960ab12db.JPG

Michael, please do not shy away from either starting more threads or writing more posts. None of us here, save NGC, owns this board; we have only been populating it a longer time than newly registered folks.

I don't believe any of us sees a problem with your question or underlying message, it was simply the options available that drove the discussion to areas that you had not anticipated.

I will share a decent Lincoln cent image here, but please be aware that I don't have many decent images of copper. The 1910-S here is an MS65RD and the lighter areas apparent in the photo are actually silver colored in-hand and appear on both the obverse and reverse and on the highpoints, the fields and sporadically everywhere in between. It is quite a cool coin.

1086713-new-4.jpg

1086713-new-4.jpg.9610b6d4ce76e69a4be3a87cfa291a7d.jpg

BTW, in case you didn't notice, there are quite a few more replies in this thread than in most! That's a good start if you ask me. thumbsup2.gif

Italy 1861-M 5c

920342-1861Mobv5c.jpg

I am more of a Type and Gold collector, but I have several cents (large and small) in Registry Sets (mostly Type sets). As Tom stated, don't feel intimidated here. We all had to start somewhere with small collections. Welcome!