• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A moment of silence for the Old Man in the Mountain...

9 posts in this topic

In case you didn't hear (I heard this on the radio today), the Old Man in the Mountain is no more. Apparently there was a rock slide today, and the 40-foot rock formation was completely destroyed. This was quite a land mark in New Hampshire that's been around for a long time, the image graces their license plates, and their state quarter from 2000. A sad day indeed. frown.gif

I've been there and have pictures of the Old Man. I was actually quite saddened to hear it this afternoon and told my wife who was similarly surprised.

Now, let's hope that no one starts a rumor that the NH state quarters are being recalled because of this.

Wow! I am in shock! I've been away from the radio and the Internet all day this is the first I heard of it and it saddens and shocked me. For as long as I can remember my family used to go up to the White Mountains every summer. In addition to Clarks Trading Post, Santa Village, Story Land, and the Flume we used to go to visit the Old Man on the Mountain on every trip. It is like a part of my childhood was just ripped from me. As I'm typing this a rush of memories from past trips to the White Mountains are coming back to me of past trip I had with my parents, two brothers, and sister and the fun times. Allot of the times my grandparents came with us. When we were younger my aunt and uncle and their kids went up at the same time so it was a family gathering. Boy do I miss those times. Now that we are all older and my sister and one of my brothers have kids of their own I don't ever think we could do that again

CHRIS

Yes that it very sad news frown.gif. I have never been there but I am sure there are several bussiness's and peoples job's that depend on the tourist's that come to visit. I hope things work out for them. I think a new man made version would really cheapen the whole thing maybe something new could be done? At least it made it onto the state quarter so it will not be forgot in generations to come. mike

Very sad. Maybe they should create a man made man in the mountain?

Then wouldn't that be "The New Android in the Mountain"? grin.gif