• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NCS or appearance review Question

4 posts in this topic

I just received my coins back from a cross-over submission - 2 made it and 3 didn't. I can't argue about the 2 that didn't make it, I had hoped for better but that's OK, but the other 1 that didn't cross has me stumped. Its a 1891-CC PCGS MS-62 Morgan that was marked as articifical substance on the cheek, which I just don't see. My question: should I re-submit it in the PCGS container, crack it and resubmit it, or send it to NCS to see what they can do then send it in for grading.

I really think its at least a MS-63 and has a serious shot at MS-64.

If I send it to NCS can I send it in the PCGS slab?

RWW,

What you do next is really your call. Often if a substance is applied to the cheek of a Morgan Dollar it is not noticeable to anyone that hasn't seen very large quantitites of both unaltered and altered coins. If we were face to face with the coin I could help you identify it but describing what to look for, especially without seeing the coin in question is difficult. Usually there are considerable bagmarks UNDER the substance as it was likely placed there to hide them and make the coin look like a better grade. NCS is quite proficient at remedial measures of this nature, and they do accept ALL certified and raw coins.

John

Yes. In fact, while I know NCS receives many raw coins I wouldn't be surprised if they receive even more that have already been certified. Chris is the NCS customer service representative who can assist with any other questions anyone may have. I believe you'll find him to be both knowledgeable and courteous.