• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

new pop report layout

26 posts in this topic

Suggestion:

I was looking at modern commem pops, and the table was almost too wide for my screen (1024x768).

Suggest that you either shorten the left margin a bit where the page selections are, or that you default to the "less detail" view and let the user select the greater detail.

I HATED the old version of the report. Couldn't find anything without a bunch of looking.

I like this a lot better.

What I would like to see, looking at the Modern Commem section, is the issues grouped. Perhaps all the 1983 & 1984 Olympic grouped together in a colored box/grid. Maybe all 1995 Olympic commems in another box with Baseball one color, Basketball another color, etc.

A second choice would be to create two main tables, one with proofs and the other with MS coins. However, I prefer the above with a second box for the proofs.

The criss-cross pattern is a little disorienting.

I would like the Pedigreed coins NOT to show up until a user asks for more detail.

Could the grades also be listed on the bottom of the grid.

• Administrator
I HATED the old version of the report. Couldn't find anything without a bunch of looking.

I like this a lot better.

What I would like to see, looking at the Modern Commem section, is the issues grouped. Perhaps all the 1983 & 1984 Olympic grouped together in a colored box/grid. Maybe all 1995 Olympic commems in another box with Baseball one color, Basketball another color, etc.

Mmmm... The data is probably not there to do this easily, but we can look.

A second choice would be to create two main tables, one with proofs and the other with MS coins. However, I prefer the above with a second box for the proofs.

This is possible I think.

The criss-cross pattern is a little disorienting.

I feel that without the row and column coloration, figuring out exactly what row or column a 1 in the middle of nowhere relates to would be too tough.

I would like the Pedigreed coins NOT to show up until a user asks for more detail.

This may be coming. We are looking at a feature to collapse both pedigrees and varieties up. That will take some time though.

Could the grades also be listed on the bottom of the grid.

Yes.

• Administrator
Suggestion:

I was looking at modern commem pops, and the table was almost too wide for my screen (1024x768).

Suggest that you either shorten the left margin a bit where the page selections are, or that you default to the "less detail" view and let the user select the greater detail.

We used to default to the less detailed version. The feedback in general was that the majority just has to expand it immediately anyway. We can't do much with the left margin as it's a template for the whole site. You can click on the printable version for a more condensed look at it.

I know it's wide, but it's in large part a function of having muchos data. Those star grades really widen things out.

I like it a lot better than before. There was just too much clicking. Also I see tne commems are in Alphabetical order. Thanks........

I'd love to see the page selectors moved to the top of the page, and the margin at the left removed. I like the tab selectors, but they are not immediately apparent. All in all, it is a much better format.

That's a heck of a lot nicer than what was there previously, but, the checkerboard pattern is rather distracting. Also, the grades move off the screen before the next grade row is in view, how about making the grade row come up more frequently?

Alot more user friendly...

How about a GREEN color for a pop number increase,and a RED or BLUE color for a pop number that stays the same.

......just a thought.

Rob

i do not like it at all

too busy and confusing

you scroll down and then

you have to scroll side by side

and then on some lines you cant see what the grades the numbers are under the pops

and also the grade numbers then the grade with star is very confusing

i am sorry to say the old way it was set up was much much better!!!!

as i always say if it ain't broke don't fix it

and if you do try to improve it make it better not worse

sincerely michael

Arch,

After looking it over again I have to agree with TomB. Is there any way that the grade row can come up more frequently? It's hard to keep track of what grade row you are looking at, but other than that I think its great.

John

• Administrator
Arch,

After looking it over again I have to agree with TomB. Is there any way that the grade row can come up more frequently? It's hard to keep track of what grade row you are looking at, but other than that I think its great.

John

Yep, this is easy. We'll do it. It's once every 50 rows now. Changing that is like the flip of a switch.

• Administrator

Ok, we made a few changes:

http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/

1) The vertical shading is now in blocks of 2 columns

2) We trimmed a thing or two to make it less wide, but the reality is, this sucker is never going to be skinny

3) We put the controls to see the printable version and to collapse the detail at the top. Hopefully these are more evident now.

4) We put the table header into the table more frequently - down to about 25 lines from 50

See what you think. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Very nice, and I understand the dual pops for the blocks up to the select BU grades where the stars become necessary, but I think a more readable representation for a pair like say 63 63* might be ### (##) where the unbracketed numbers represent the total pop for the grade, and the bracketed numbers represent the star designated pieces. JMO

Anyway, thanks for the effort. The new format is far more useable.

Don

Very nice. Comments:

1. The dates for the SBA dollars are wrong (should be 1979-99).

2. I think Greg mentioned this, but I would also like to see Proofs separated from business strikes in Modern Commemoratives (and presumably elsewhere, but I haven't looked around that much).

3. I'd like to see Statehood Quarters as a separate series from Washington Quarters. So, Washingtons would be 1932-98; Statehoods 1999-2008. Whatever comes after that can be addressed in 2009.

4. Can the program show rows for coins where NGC has never slabbed an example? A canonical example would be the 1933 $20 -- NGC pop for all grades is -0-, so it may be impossible to actually display a row for this.

5. Will world coin pop reports undergo a similar transmogrification in the future?

6. Is it possible to collapse the table to show only a subset of the grades? For example, for some coin series I'd only be interested in MS66 and higher grades -- dropping out everything below that would make the table much more readable.

All in all, a beautiful thing. I run a really high resolution, so the page width doesn't bug me too much. Thanks for you work!

One more "vote" for collapsing the pedigree "varieties" (Eliasberg, Pittman, etc.) -- looking at the Classic commems table, and because of these it's about twice as long as it should be.