• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slabbed or bagged?

8 posts in this topic

I'm kind of curious what you guys think of this. I bought this a couple years ago for a very good price, but it had a lot of dirt packed into the devices and had a funky red layer of oxidation, especially on the reverse. I've had it soaking in mineral oil for most of the time I've owned it and I think it's about as good as it's going to get.

1914d1c.jpg

It does look a little too pink in the first picture. Here is another that is a little closer. The coin is actually a darker brown, but I can't seem to get the exact color...

1914d1c2.jpg

Bagged. The color is of and there are areas on the obverse that don't appear to "match" the rest of the coin.

I have to agree that the color seems to be off, however, you may seriously consider keeping it in your pocket for a while and taking it out to handle it every day. In this way it will pick up some dirt and oils and might darken. Of course, you can simply keep it raw as it's still a nice coin.

If it were mine, I'd skip the "stick it in your pocket" method (works better on harshly cleaned coins) and use a little Blue Ribbon instead. Would even out the color to brown side. Like you'd expect an XF copper to look wink.gif If it had been a MS coin the current color might have passed IMHO.