• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Franklin Silver Dollars

14 posts in this topic

I am a big fan of Franklins, having just completed my MS64 minimum Dansco Album. I also understand the importance of Franklin to our history, after all he invented kites or electricity or something like that.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Anyhoo, do you think there will be much of an after market demand for any of these coins. Cause to my way of thinking, the only way I would buy any is if I thought I could get it cheap by selling a few extras for profit. otherwise it seems a bit much. I realize there will only be 250K of each design. anythoughts on if these may sell out? confused-smiley-013.gif

No, the price will remain pretty static for awhile, yet. Not a lot of potential with these. However, the reverse of the Old Franklin with the Fugio cent/Continental Dollar design yields the greatest potential for the series since it is related to earlier numismania. If a commemorative half dollar were issued then this would have been a winner for both the Franklin half dollar series as well as for Franklin half dollar collectors. Just goes to show how utterly hopeless and stupid the results of committees actually are. They passed up a grand opportunity here.

I don't totally agree. I think that higher grades (67 or higher) are going to steadily increase in value. At 64 your wasting your time. Better one really great coin than a bunch of would be s.

Bob

Hey, Bob! Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood. First, you can ignore everything that Victor says. Second, I think the Franklin $ might attract a little more interest than, say, John Marshall because he is more well-known. His associations with science, invention, publishing and statesmanship may attract collectors from areas other than just numismatics.

Chris

Hey, Victor! I finally bought a camera. Now, all I have to do is take a semester to learn how to use it.

I had a MS65/66 Franklin set that was about 70% FBL. The set did not change much in the 4 years that I owned it. CDN prices went up but actual sale prices were soft. I think that a few keys in the series have some potential at Condition Rarity or nearly that (i.e. 1949-S, MS66FBL).

I have to agree with Victor on this one. I think that the Mint will be lucky to sell out of either of the Franklin dollar designs. That said, most buyers will buy the proofs (as is historically true) and the "uncirculated" (or whatever they truly are) pieces will likely languish, giving them more promise in the after market. With sets like the coin and chronicles set that is limited to 50k, these usually sell out and have a decent after market value. This time, however, I'm wondering if that will be the case. Since the set includes the "Franklin Scientist" dollar, it may also have little demand in the after market, similar to the specially boxed sets of Edison and Marshall.

Caught bits and pieces of a great discussion about Franklin on NPR the other night. He was apparently not well understood for his contributions to this country when he died. His eulogy in this country was a year after his death, and was apparently not voluntarily given. In France, on the other hand, he was eulogized three times! The French loved him, it seems. (I've got to read his autobiography or Blake McCormick's revision thereof.)

Hoot

I don't totally agree. I think that higher grades (67 or higher) are going to steadily increase in value. At 64 your wasting your time. Better one really great coin than a bunch of would be s.

Bob

That point is really mute since the only modern commems grading 64 (or even less than 67 for that matter) would be impaired proofs.

Hey, Chris, why can't you be more like Hoot!! yay.gifcool.gifyay.gifcool.gifyay.gif

Hey, Chris, why can't you be more like Hoot!! yay.gifcool.gifyay.gifcool.gifyay.gif

Easy, EZ! Don't let Hoot's comment go to your head. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif It will only occur once in every 2,326 posts. 27_laughing.gif

yay.gifC yay.gifH yay.gifR yay.gifI yay.gifS yay.gif

This would cause a tear in the fabric of the universe that would bring about the demise of all humans. Besides, my wife would kill one of us, for certain, if she had any foreknowledge of the event. yeahok.gif

Hoot

Hoot -

While the bios by H.W.Brands ('The First American: the life and times of Benjamin Franklin') and by Walter Isaacson ('Benjamin Franklin: An American Life') do a lot to humanize Franklin and paint an end-to-end picture of his life, 'The Americanization of Ben Franklin', by Gordon Wood does a great job of showing why Americans in general didn't trust him and how he only gradually became accepted by the middle class and upper crust. For quite a long time after his death its doubtful that common Americans attributed much good with Franklin other than his inventions.

Oh wow ...as much as I'm in to Franklin ...and the coins... I totally missed What EZ Victor picked up on....The mint's gonna totally freakin miss a massive opportunity because of congress's committee group's lack of vision on this one to plug in a clad Half Dollar to go along with this grouping ! Too bad it's too late for them to enact another law calling for a commem half-dollar Franklin ....maybe even this time with a teeny lil bell and huge eagle spread out on the reverse . They chose to go with two different dollar coins portraying a young Franky and an older version , but totally cluelessly missed the 50 cent connection....unless it was their goal to bury the connection and attempt to keep this commem on it's own . As far as I'm concerned the Frankies didn't finish the legal full 25 year run anyway , so they owe us a few more years ....lets lose the boring JFK half an finish the run of the Franks!! Better yet !!! Add the Fugio reverse an Voila!! Instant sell out 50 cent coinage! takeit.gif