• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting Item I received today

7 posts in this topic

Ok, it's not a coin, but I saw it on eBay when I was browsing for large size notes. I don't know much about it, but it's a Philippine 1-peso note printed by the US BEP, and redeemable in silver or US currency. So I thought it would be interesting. It was in the large size notes but it's actually small, so that was a little disappointing. If anyone knows anything about it, please share!

Obverse

Reverse

Some of the larger denominations (which were more than I wanted to spend) actually had photos of US Presidents on them!

The Phillipines was a US territory until 1946. The coin and currency preceding that time was minted/printed in the US. This coin was minted in the SF mint, here on the mainland. I love the design. I thought you would enjoy the inscription on the reverse.

I found some of those in a $9.99 bag of foreign coins. At least some with the same reverse design. They were silver. I recall doing the research and learning a little history, and then I did ok with them on feeBay. Of course, "ok" is a relative term. I may have made my 10 bucks back. shocked.gif

From 1903 to 1945, SFmint and Philly minted coins for Phillipines. In 1920, the Manila mint opened and minted coins. Notes were printed in the US, many varieties exist, most of modest value.

TRUTH

That is cool. I'm going to get one for my wife.

We do have some Philippine currency, I think some notes were printed for circulation only on one island during the war. That is there are different notes for the different islands. We have several of those...

First there is no obverse or reverse on currency. It is face and back.

The 1944 issue you have is overprinted on the back "VICTORY" for Gen. MacArthur's return!!!

Treasury Certs. were first issued in 1918 . The other series of Treas. Certs. are 1924, 1929, 1936, 1941 and 1944.

Silver Certs. were series 1903, 1905 and 1906.

There were also the Philippine National Bank Notes, series 1916, 1917, 1918, 1919, 1920, 1921, 1924, and 1937.

Several American's appeared on the Philippine currency, only two that were U.S. Presidents, George Washington and William McKinley.