• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question about NUMISMEDIA...

10 posts in this topic

I take an avarage of a couple to get a better picture of the market value of coins. I also use Coin Values along with Numismedia ... PCGS' site for coin prices are way over value and I take them at 70% valuation ..

Hope this helps

Mike

headbang.gif

i have yet to figure out where these prices come from. i've seen numismedia, pcgs's site, coin values, and they all seem high--i'd like to know who's paying these prices and sell my coins for them. numismedia puts out a wholesale price for pcgs and ngc coins, and that is the closest, and i usually buy the coin if i can get it for 10% below numis wholesale. those prices are all listed in heritage galleries auction site.

of course, the other way to do it, and one that works about as well, is watch eBay for a while. create a sense of what the going price for a given coin is over a period of a month or two, and when you see something good for the low end, pick it up. good old fashioned research.

good luck

I don't know anything about Numismedia, but the two most commonly used price guides are Coin World's Coin Values for retail prices and the Coin Dealer Newsletter (the Grey Sheet) for wholesale prices. (Of course, these are only guides and you have to learn which coins trade for below these prices and which coins trade for above these prices.)

Depending on what you collect, you may find recent eBay prices or Heritage's auction archives (registration is free) useful as well.

Also it depends on the series as well. For Saints, all the online guides and Coin Values have been way behind in showing the upswing in current values, expecially for better dates. I've seen many ads in Coin World offering better dates for well above the Numismedia Retail quotes. In fact, I would not be selling any of my branch mint issues from the 1920s for the current retail on Numismedia, but I sure would consider buying at those prices!

for killer monster toned gem and superb gem pre 1915 type coins proof and ms with the right "look"

prices on pcgs and numismedia are dreadfully low

for monster deep cameo pre 1915 proof coins gem and higher that are better types and dates is again extremely low

same with monster toned gem cc material low low low

and way too low for superb gem full red non enhanced matte proof lincoln cents and also mobnster colored matte proof gem lincoln cents low low low

low low low low low low low low

If we are talking auction prices, I think Numismedia is worth considering. Some prices realized, for other than modern, are below these figures, but only for problem holdered coins. For the Bust series coins in AU or better, plan on bidding 20% over Numismedia wholesale if you want any chance of winning the lot.

• Administrator

FYI, I passed this thread on to NumisMedia, and they said they'd look into the various noted areas.

I've also wondered about some of the pricing on NumisMedia since they list a price for each coin in my US Type Set and the price for the 1794 half dollar is ridiculously low. Years ago, before the Greysheet bid went up substantially, you still couldn't buy one of these at the price they list. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have only looked at thier pricing for the <MS60 gradings...in buying bulk circulated mercury dimes, walkers, frankins, and morgans, I have been able to find coins at about 80% of the numismedia prices....on ebay it is rare to find anything as low as their prices without really spending a lot of time watching and waiting for a decent deal to come along. The issue I see with the 'free' sites that publish prices is that the prices arent updates frequently enough to represent day to day values. Then again, that argument is really only valid for lower grades that are priced mostly as a function of their metal content, and not based solely on numismatic value. All in all, for the lower grades, I have found that their published prices split the middle between local shops and the online auctions.