• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1592-KB Hungary Taler

7 posts in this topic

Another purchase from the Heritage NYINC auction.

It's a 1592-KB (Kremnitz Mint) Hungarian taler featuring Rudolph II. This particular variety was minted from 1578-1600. Similar varieties were minted around the same time and into the very early 17th century.

This is a Austro-Hungarian Empire issue is one I've wanted for awhile. However, since it is rather common I've been holding out for a nice example. Frequently the planchets on these are awful. And, since it is rather common, when one comes up for sale in an auction I frequently focus my attention on the other scarcer talers as I'll always have another chance to pick this type up.

This coin appears to be Choice AU at the worst. It has a couple of greenish PVC (?) spots on the obverse, but I've had decent luck removing those in the past without any ill affects. It's pre-sale estimate was $550-$650 and I fully expected it to realize something in that range. I was very surprised when my low ball bid won this for $400.

1592-hungary.jpg

There was no Austro-Hungarian emprire until 1867, that coin is just Hungarian!. poke2.gif

I like the realistic eagle and will probably add one to my collection one day.

There was no Austro-Hungarian emprire until 1867, that coin is just Hungarian!. poke2.gif

Are you doubting the word of Heritage? wink.gif

Looks that way. confused-smiley-013.gif

And you wonder why they made me a Legacy Client and not you. grin.gif

And you wonder why they made me a Legacy Client and not you. grin.gif

At least I now get catalogs. Only US it seems but progress nonetheless.