• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1682-PS Salzburg Commemorative Taler

6 posts in this topic

I wasn't really planning on purchasing anything out of the Heritage NYINC auction, but prices seemed really cheap. Lots of stuff went for well under the estimates - including some where the estimates were quite a bit lower than I expected the coin to sell for. I saw a lot of coins not sell. The Great Britain gold seemed to have a high percentage for no sells.

I never expected to win this coin. It was still cheap the morning of the sale, so I put in a low ball bid figuring I'd be blown away even before it hit the floor. To my great surprise, my bid held up (won it for $430). I've seen XF/AU example sell for over $600 on eBay and an unc one went for over $800 several months back.

This is a one year type coin commemorating the 1100th Year of the Bishopric. While not a rare type coin, it is highly desirable. This example appears to be Choice AU at the worst. According to Krause, this is the rarer variety with the PS below the coat of arms. It's unpriced in Krause. However, no one seems to collect talers by variety. 27_laughing.gif

1682-salzburg.jpg

Fabulous and intricate design. Who are all the saints on the reverse. Is that the Pope on the obverse? Can you deduce and translate the inscription? Do I ask too much? tongue.gif

Hoot

What's the blemish at 12:00 obverse, it may have scared the competition away.

However, no one seems to collect talers by variety. 27_laughing.gif

I smell a new signature set.

Minor planchet crack. Not too noticeable in person. Heavy die polish on the coin looks like hairlines. That may have prevented the floor bidders from bidding.

Minor planchet crack. Not too noticeable in person. Heavy die polish on the coin looks like hairlines. That may have prevented the floor bidders from bidding.

That's always nice. You're pleased with it in hand? Going to add a 1/2 thaler to keep it company?

That's always nice. You're pleased with it in hand? Going to add a 1/2 thaler to keep it company?

Yep, I'm happy with it. I haven't taken it out of the Heritage flip yet to take a real close look at it, but so far I'm OK with it. When I first saw it I hated it as the lines looked like a scrubbing. After my heart restarted I realized it was die polish.

I won't be adding a 1/2T. I'm a size snob. The only smaller demonimation coins of this type I'm adding are stuff that I REALLY like that wasn't made in taler size or stuff that is still large in size (i.e. some of the German 2/3 talers that are as big as a full taler).