• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here a first strike, there a first strike

44 posts in this topic

What ever happened to the girls they used to alternate on the show? Some of them were pretty sweet. Much better than the Hollis feller!!!

Heh heh, sweet but utterly clueless. Which, now that I think about it, was part of their charm.

angel.gif

Beijim

Also, I don't know when they stop striking silver eagles, but if they cease by the end of June let's say, it would mean that more than half the coins struck in any given year are "First Strikes" which once again puts any semblance of logical thought on its ear!

I watched Robert Chambers open a green monster box of 2005 Silver Eagles during the 2006 bullion coin "presale" shows on "Con Vault" about three weeks ago. He was using a 2005 box to illustrate what the 2006 boxes would look like.

The check tab tape in that particular 2005 box indicated that the coins had been produced in October 2005, i.e. only three months ago. If 2005 is representative, therefore, the coins are produced well beyond June of the given year (assuming also that demand exists).

Beijim

P.S. As an aside, I read an interesting tidbit in the Coin World archives the other day to the effect that, in years where the Mint overproduces mint state Gold Eagle coins, they melt down the overage and divert the gold to other gold coin programs (e.g. commemoratives) because by statute they can't reuse that gold in later dated Gold Eagles. According to the article, the law authorizing Gold Eagle production is explicit in requiring that the gold involved must be "newly mined" from American mines. I knew about the domestic requirement but not that the gold couldn't be reused for Eagles if it had previously been struck into coinage.

if i was in charge i would make a law that would have the words first pig designation on the holder instead of the first strike designation

same coin so it should not matter the words on the holder

right? as in theory it is all about the coin and not the holder and if the coin is an all there first strike then would not matter

flowerred.giffirst devil.gif pig flowerred.gif

While I agree that a First Strike does not change the coin from one that is not, but I also think you can make a similar argument for toned or error coins, etc. I think the First Strikes seem to have a following, and from a resale perspective there seems to be some money to be made.

As far as the Coin Vault, as another member posted, I too watch it for entertainment, but I must admit that every now and then I do learn something. If nothing else, it seems that Mr. Chambers knows a thing or two about coins. However, their prices are something else, but if someone walks into a car dealership and pays sticker price for a car, do you blame the car dealership or the person who didn't do their homework? I submit the person that didn't do their homework is the one to blame! I think the Coin Vault caters to a certain audience, and if they are that deep into the fog bank, I say let them pay. It is too easy to go to the computer and your favorite search engine and find a number of places selling the same thing for a lot less.

While I agree that a First Strike does not change the coin from one that is not, but I also think you can make a similar argument for toned or error coins, etc.

Ummmmmmm...no. And the really wild thing about these is that the coins aren't even first strikes in any traditional sense of the term, as has been pointed out ad nauseam. I read in Coin World that ASE dies are used for about 6000 coins. How many sets of dies will have been gone through during the many months of production deemed eligible for first strike designation status? Few of these coins produced will be first strikes. Most will be "middle strikes." And there will be as many "last strikes" in this pool of coins as there are true first strikes. But now, last strikes are first strikes. It's Orwellian Doublespeak yay.gif

Gotta agree on the "shipwreck effect" being pure BS. Its nothing more than a "cleaning effect". But, NGC is the best grading company out there. It is my opinion, based on personal experience, that PCGS is being ran by a bunch of incompetent of low ethics and values.

please thing edit your post as this pcgs thing you said is NOT TRUE

and it does not make any of you or us look fair or smart on jhere posting this kind of thing

on top of not being true

What I stated is a true and accurate description based upon my personal experience with the friggn insufficiently_thoughtful_persons and represents my personal opinion which happens to be a statement of fact.