• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Four pallbearers carry two dead comrads

8 posts in this topic

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. frown.gif

You will need some time to grieve, but try not to wallow in your sorrow. Remember, time heals all. Even through you may think you will never get over your loss you will begin to feel better and at that time you will need to get back to your normal collecting again.

Sincerely

John grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Thanks for your sympathy. However, I'm somewhat comforted in the Bust of the 1835 Half. Paid VF30 money for this on eBay, and got AU50 on it!!! grin.gif A rare eBay purchase success story. And the Half Cent came back 5 points higher than I graded it too.

As for those that passed away:

The 1930 quarter was completely my fault, I could tell something was "not right". Miss Liberty looked slick and clean but the rest of the coin was original and satiny. Very strange. But my fault. I knew better.

Now get this... the Corrosion body bagged large cent was a PCI XF45 that I cracked out prior to submiting. Should have just done a cross. mad.gif

Why did you crack out the large cent before submitting it? I have sent a number of coins to NGC to be crossed over and have never cracked them out. They have either crossed at the same grade or upgraded. I honestly do not believe that NGC cares what holder a coin is in when it is sent in as a cross over. IMO they truly do judge the coin, not its holder.

John

Wihlborg, yes, I should have left it in the holder. I just can't get over the stigma - that a coin person may look at the holder and automatically apply a bias. I think it's human nature. This is the first time I've had a (previously) slabbed coin get boddy bagged. I don't want it to happen again. shocked.gif

I do think there is a bias at PCGS against other slabs. I think PCGS crossover rate is absurd. NGC, on the other hand, IMO, gives the coin a fair shake, regardless of which holder the coin is in...