• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey Greg, Jammin and Shiro

13 posts in this topic

After a year of sitting in the oil, the dirt came off and it turns out that most are slugs. frown.gif

I was so unhappy that I put mine in a bag and put it in the back of a cabinet. I was able to identify one of the big coins in the lot. Good news, there is decent details after the dirt came off. Bad news, it's a 19th century Austrian copper. frown.gif

Not sure what I'm going to do with the lot. I'll probably pick out a few of the best - that won't be hard as there aren't many great ones - and try to identify them. The others will be buried in the ground and then sold to some other sucker as a bag of uncleaned ancients. wink.gif

BTW, those Crusader coins I got from you. I sent them in to ICG. Figured they'd be more salable slabbed. They've been in there 104 days so far. After my third query as to their status, I have a feeling they might be headed back my way before this month is over. I'll let you know how they turned out.

Of course, since mine came from Greg, I've had a similar experience. I've not been as diligent about scraping the gunk off, so they are still pretty dirty.

Hoot

After a year of sitting in the oil, the dirt came off and it turns out that most are slugs. frown.gif

I was so unhappy that I put mine in a bag and put it in the back of a cabinet. I was able to identify one of the big coins in the lot. Good news, there is decent details after the dirt came off. Bad news, it's a 19th century Austrian copper. frown.gif

Not sure what I'm going to do with the lot. I'll probably pick out a few of the best - that won't be hard as there aren't many great ones - and try to identify them. The others will be buried in the ground and then sold to some other sucker as a bag of uncleaned ancients. wink.gif

Why don't you scatter some of the ugly ancient coins around the neighborhoods of San Jose so that some Metal Detecting folks will find them? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

Why don't you scatter some of the ugly ancient coins around the neighborhoods of San Jose so that some Metal Detecting folks will find them? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

TRUTH

I would toss 'em.

TRUTH

I would toss 'em.

Why? Wouldn't they remind you of your childhood?

You guys are great! Thanks! Now I know what to do with some of my junk...I'm load'n up tha truck an head'n to the beach to plant some real winners for the metal detecting people. They are gonna freak trying to figure out how this stuff got there.

I couldn't get in trouble doing this , could I? I mean apparently the Romans did this every day for years , why else would we be getting this stuff in bucket fulls for $10 from Bosnia and other Euro countries everytime they excavate a site to put up a building?

Mine are still encrusted with a thick layer of dirt. It just won't come off. I'll try picking it with a toothpick and then boil them to see if that helps.

try a toothbrush, dishwasing soap and warm water.

Mine are still encrusted with a thick layer of dirt. It just won't come off. I'll try picking it with a toothpick and then boil them to see if that helps.

try a toothbrush, dishwasing soap and warm water.

I tried that a while back. The dirt still sticks.