• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ideas for a protest of the Virginia Nickel Shenanigans

5 posts in this topic

I am really ticked about all that has happened with the Virginia Congressional delegation and their stranglehold on our nickel, as well as the rest on Congress bending to the whim of the Virginians, and let's not even mention the mint's own impotence in these matters (I guess they forgot they had the power to unilaterally change coin designs once they have been in circulation for at least 25 years). So, I am soliciting ideas on how we can best protest this assinine display of politics and the hijacking of an issue of national importance for the benefit of one state.

Personally, I propose the following:

When the new nickels are released for 2003, take a handful along with the old nickel design and drive a nail right through the center, making sure to hit the grand porch of Monticello on the old nickel design. Remove the nails, and send a set of each of these nickels to every member of the Virginia Congressional delegation as a symbol of our disgust and dismay at their selfish act.

Any other ideas would be appreciated, but I thing we as collectors, as perhaps the only Americans that actually care about our coinage have a right and a duty to raise our collective arms in protest!

Jeff - I really like your idea!!! smile.gif

I wrote this on another thread:

How does the Mint foster the legacy and history of our great coinage? It doesn't. Worse, the history of autonomy of the Treasury in its actions of creating coinage that mirrors the core freedoms and execution of justice in this country have been handed nearly wholesale over to the politicians of the Congress and Senate. That autonomy was set forth by earlier politicians in recognition that our coinage would otherwise become trapped in politics - where it is today.

The Treasury (and Mint) needs to recover its autonomy. We, as collectors and numistmatists, must do everything we can to pursuade our politicians to recognize the historical import of this division and act on it. We also need to spread the education of history to as many as we can reach about our coins. The more we do, and the more downright angry we can make the public at large at the loss of contextual integrity of our coinage, the more likely we can influence the actions of the Mint, either directly or indirectly.

We must all write letter upon letter to our congresspeople and Senators. We must make a voice of this and remind them that they are not doing their jobs. I will bet that most of the Congress and Senators did not read the full bill. They saw the idea for the Lewis and Clark commemoration and that's it. They did not see the rider for abolishing the CCCAC and establishment of a congressionally controlled CCAC. If they did, they paid no attention to the return of the Jefferson nickel in 2006.

The change of the Jefferson nickel to another design has nothing to do with whether a person likes the nickel as is or not. Read your history. We owe it to Jefferson himself to change this design.

Hoot

Edited for a stickey key spelling errorrrrrrrr! laugh.gif